Explaining things in fiction.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Shadowbreaker, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Shadowbreaker

Shadowbreaker \/ /\

News Credits:
    Transformers has done some pretty.... unique thing to sell toys, and some people must try to explain the reason for them in fiction. So I've made I thread to do just that.

Action Masters: Have you ever seen the commercial? "Who wants to give up the ability to transform to become more powerful?" Yeah. But maybe the Action Masters lost their ability to transform by some virus. And they used the name Action Masters to not feel like they're not freaks. A cure was found, but some Action Masters preferred being only robots. Like Kick Off, Mainframe, etc. while Optimus, Bumblebee, Jazz etc. went back to being normal transforming Transformers.

Why Ultra Magnus is a white Optimus Prime in armor: Maybe there was a cloning experiment gone wrong, creating a sentient Optimus Prime clone. Then they both built armor to hide the secret. Then there coulld be a story where Ultra Magnus loses the armor and goes crazy, etc, etc, But that wouldn't fit into what we know as Ultra Magnus.

Any other ideas?

Anyone want to try to explain G2?

2. Gammatron 64

Gammatron 64 Well-Known Member

With Action Masters, Grimlock took some Nebulon to repair himself and some damaged Transformers (namely the Dinobots) and didn't realize it would lock them in robot mode.

The other two don't have any canon explanation. But...

Ultra Magnus seems to come from the same "protoform mold" as Optimus Prime. A lot like why the seekers all look the same. Animated kind of expands on the idea of different transformers being of the same design model with Bumblebee, Cliffjumper and Wasp. Being robots, it makes sense that they have various mass produced models.

G2's colors were touched on in the BotCon comic a bit.

3. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fixed.:wink: 

4. Gammatron 64

Gammatron 64 Well-Known Member

Heh, I always get Nucleon and Nebulon mixed up.

5. TranstechCat

TranstechCat Cybernetic Chimpanzee

I'd personally like an in-fiction reason given as to why sports car alt. modes are the most compatible forms for Timaeus Drives. (Binaltech/Alternity)

6. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Some continuities set up Optimus Prime and Ultra Magnus as related in one way or another, and related/sibling TFs tend to look similar, if not outright repaints of each other. I would've guessed that UM volunteered for the armor upgrade (and rarely appears out of it except in toy-land) shortly after Op became the leader, either to avoid confusion, or being compared to the guy who looks like him.

The biggest in-media explanation of G2 comes from Furman's comic, which refers to Jhiaxus' bunch as a "second generation" of Transformers. Doesn't say much about updated/changed color schemes though.

7. Shadowbreaker

Shadowbreaker \/ /\

News Credits:
    Maybe the entire cast of G2 got caught in some space... storm and that fused their metal to become powerful! Hehe..

How was it touched on in the botcon comic?

8. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    For G2:

All the Transformers got high and thought they should get new paint jobs. That's a pretty obvious one

9. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I always thought the Powermasters were the most tenuous of the lot. I mean, you can kinda see how the idea of being a Headmaster or a Targetmaster would have been sold to the Nebulans - "cool, we get to control the robot/become an awesome weapon!", but the Powermasters really got screwed - "oh, I'm a fucking engine. Well I guess I'll stay here for a while not doing anything. Let me know when you're done".

At least we got two different versions of the whole xxxxmaster concept, depending on whether you read the comics or watch the cartoon.

10. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    The commercial was a throwaway thing. The Marvel comic is the true explanation. The process was undone for G2.

Although I wouldn't say every Transformers who is a repaint of another character to be brothers, sometimes they are. Ultra Magnus being Optimus Prime's brother is a decent enough explanation.

11. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    to make driving on the super time space road track thing more convenient!

I think with reality eating vents and retcon time space guns why a sports car is a least of your worries.

12. Wreckie

Wreckie Holder of the Discomatrix

Ebay:
    My fannish explanation for Optimus and Magnus was that they were indeed the nearest thing to brothers you can get, but that at some point Magnus suffered an accident and the Autobot scientists kept him alive by creating a mobile life-support unit (his armour) which was a precursor of the Pretender technology. He gained the precursor "Ultra" because the armour also upgraded his strength and stamina.

The injuries had some lasting damage, which means he has to stay inside the armour for extended periods of time or risk permanent status lock.

The Masterpiece Ultra Magnus toy (sans armour, but with Matrix) is from an alternative universe, where Optimus had the accident instead and Magnus went on to become Prime in his place.

When do I find time to do my job? Between these thoughts, that's when!

13. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Beardy Boyo!

Ebay:
    Actually Furman said that if the marvel strip had continued, he would have had the actionmaster process had varying effects on transformers, like some would become deformed, others powerful etc.

so in some ways it was a bit of a curse for them.

Maybe magnus wears his armor because hes tired of being overshadowed by prime?

Maybe the g2 colour scheme happened because the transformers got a visit from queer eye for the straight guy?

14. Sunstorm9119

Sunstorm9119 RC 1136

Ebay:
    The only explanation for G2- Acid........