Explaining collectibles to your children?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ILoveDinobot, Jun 6, 2014.

1. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot That moment when you realize I'm someone's mom

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Did anyone here ever have to explain that your toys/figures are collectibles and not to be played with to a child? How did you do it?

I think of the Lego movie. :lol 

But seriously, I want to know does it work to give a child a bunch of Transformers but try and explain that the there a select few they can not touch?

2. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

Put them on a higher shelf?

3. Flyby33

Flyby33 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I've always just told mine not to touch they are dads. Been showing him my collection and telling him that since he was born. 4 years later he has his own to play with and if he wants to look at mine he asks first.

4. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

Because you are the adult and you explain to them that you like you toys the same way they like theirs and that they are not to touch yours because you don't mess with other people's stuff if they don't want you to.

My 3 yo will not touch my toys he knows better I keep a small outpost of my stuff in the living room that I cycle in and out of my room, you shouldn't have to put your toys on a higher shelf if you teach them not to trash things.

5. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Royal Red

News Credits:
    While I do not have children not am I the proper age to have them(16).

However I do have a lot of expireance with them, I think I would simply say that some where made just for grown ups and are not ment to be touched or played with except by Daddies and Mommas.

6. cryotek

cryotek Criminal Overlord

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Do what my wife tells our daughter..."those are daddy's pretties" which means you can not touch.

7. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

Yeah you have to set boundaries with kids early or they will never learn to respect other people's things or take care of their own, not just toys but it's the best thing to start out with.

8. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot That moment when you realize I'm someone's mom

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Thanks. I added doors and a padlock to my collection just in case. But some of my lego Star Wars ships don't fit. I'm afraid the legos ships will be broken or eaten. -_-

9. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This ^ all the way.. I have 3 kids, 6, 8, and 16.. None of them touch my Transformers... unless they ask first and that is only the 6 yr old.

No, no, no... Daddy's only.. Mommy's don't touch them either..

10. rosewater

rosewater Well-Known Member

Excellent, simple advice. Thanks man. I've been thinking a lot about this subject since my son was born in September.

11. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

set the general rule not to touch people's stuffs without asking first regardless of the type of item in question, kids like to be clever and go around the rules if you didn't set your rule broad enough. tell them don't touch dad's toys they'll go ahead and mess with your computer, tell them don't touch dad's stuffs they'll go touch mom's stuffs, and so on. i'm not a parent, but i remember i was kind of an asshole when i was a kid.

12. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM 1989 Turbo Trans AM

Train them young lol

Earlier the better.

In all honesty the 4 yr old has been pretty good about my Transformers room, I let him come in there and work with me on stuff and show him things and let him touch stuff. They are toys, so let a kid see them and touch them, just under your supervision.

He knows he has to wash his hands and no food and drink allowed and all that stuff.

Don't make a big deal about it and do not hide it from them, that will get u screwed.

None of my stuff is padlocked or inaccessible, he knows if he asks he can come in with mom or dad. He has went in there once or twice, I might find something moved around.

Kids will get into anything and everything, yours isn't even born yet, so your still yr to a yr and a half away from worrying about it.

13. JohnRedcorn

JohnRedcorn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't you guys teach your kids to share your toys? lol (kidding)

14. Leemaster777

Leemaster777 Junkion

Ebay:
    Don't have any kids of my own, but I live with my 5 year old niece, and I do this:

Since I keep all my collectibles in my room, I simply tell her that she isn't allowed in my room unless she has permission. She's never gone in there on her own yet, although if I'm in my room, sometimes she get's excited and comes in. I scold her a bit, but I don't really mind that much as long as I'm there to supervise.

Secondly, I've shown her my collection, and made her understand that my figures are delicate, and that she should never touch them without permission (which she has never done). Although to be fair to her, I let her play with some of them on occasion... although I'm very picky about what gets played with.

I keep bendy Gumby and Pokey figures on my desk that I let her play with, along with a Derpy Hooves figure I got from Hot Topic. She's also recently gotten into Power Rangers, so sometimes I let her play with my set of old 8 inch figures. Those things are fairly solid, so as long as I watch her, I don't mind her playing with those ones, despite the fact that they're a part of my real collection.

Really, kids aren't as dumb as you think they might be. As long as you set boundaries, and make them perfectly clear, you should never have a problem. And if you do, then you have a much larger problem with the child that needs to be addressed BEFORE you start worrying about your hobby.

Also, whoever said that hiding your collection is a mistake is dead-on. If you try to hide your collection from a small child, they'll INEVITABLY find it, and since you hadn't set any rules about it, they'll go to town.

15. darkknight478

darkknight478 Well-Known Member

I've been collecting before I had my kids. I now have a 4 and 8 yo. I had no problems, they already had a lot of their own toys and was never interested in mine. What I'm worried about is when I have other little ones come over my house. But their parents already know its off limits and warn them. My kids also yells at them if they get too close.

16. Fallout

Fallout ꧁꧂

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    with Kragle, duh

17. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Royal Red

News Credits:
    Oh Ho Ho... Mommy can touch is she wants, Mommy is always more important them anything else! Whats mine is hers...

And I agree with the lot of you,

"If you want one, Daddy will buy you your own."

18. heltskelt

heltskelt Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    ^This. So true!

19. tactikill decoy

tactikill decoy Well-Known Member

ive had transformers and other superheroes in a display in my livingroom since my kid was born. she is gonna be 8 next month and her 2 cousins are 6 and 4. they have grown up being taught those are only to be played with with permisson and no problems...other peoples kids, neighborhood kids, have been rude and just opened the glass door and tried to get them. its the kids that arent yours you have to be careful about. a friend of mine had a Zippo lighter collection that had over 100 lighters half over 50 yrs old. his kids friends stole them when she had a party while they were out. she didnt notice they had grabbed them. he only got 10 or 15 back out of 30. i will be locking my stuff up as my kid gets older and her friends gets dumber, as kids do. i could forgive my kid for a mistake but id be going to jail for whipping some teenage boy stealing my stuff.

20. Jazz Meister

Jazz Meister Well-Known Member

I have no problems my kids know that their dads and they only go in the room if im in there. My son has his own so that helps as well mostly reissue G1's. The few Masterpieces he has he doesn't play with he displays them on a shelf in his room.