Explain to me Target 2006

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Numlock, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Numlock

Numlock Starving Artist

Hey TFW, I'd like if someone(s) can give me some details about the Transformers 2006 story arc. Yes, I know I could probably run out and buy it, but I'm not interested in the old comics too much... except this story arc. I read the description on wikipedia... I'd like some more complete details though...
    Like:
    - did Megatron know Galvatron was future him (or is he not in that continuity?)
    - what was Galvatrons purpose in coming back? How did he react to his past self?
    - Did Unicrons have any pressence in these issues? Any control over Galvatron?
    - What did Optimus and his crew due while misplaced from time?
    - How'd they get back?
    - How were they selected to be the ones to be displaced? Same for Frenzy and co.?

Etc.

Essentially, all the details and explanations you can give me. Whos, whats, whys

Highly appreciated,

Thanks

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    No. He found this out some time later in a story in one of the UK annuals, (leading up to Time Wars). He didn't believe Galvatron, but they did team up, resulting in a LOT of deaths (both Autobot AND Decepticon).
    OK. Remember the point in TFTM where Galvatron says "Decepticons... To Earth!"? That is the point where he jumped back in time. The idea was that he would build a massive cannon, which he would use in the future to destroy Unicron. Incidentally, this cannon would have been located directly UNDER Autobot City, thus destroying the entire city when he fired it.
    Unicron had no control over Galvatron. However, since Unicron did exist at this point in time, Galvatron could draw power from him. Unicron did, however, influence the minds of Hot Rod, Kup & Blurr, giving them the idea to travel back in time after Galbatron.
    This one needs a little explanation.
    the way time travel worked in the UK comics was that for one to travel back in time, one of approximately equal mass in the past must be displaced. Those displaced ended up in a sort of limbo (I believe they actually did call it that too); a place between places. the only inhabitants of this "limbo" were psychic parasites that attached themselves to the misplaced Autobots and Decepticons and fed on their emotions. It was hypothesised that given enough time these parasites could fashion an actual reality from these emotions. This was explored in a few later stories; most notably when Skids returned, and what his mind had fashioned in Limbo came back with him...
    When the TFs from the future returned to their own time, the displaced TFs simply reappeared.
    Nothing more complicated than their general mass being equal to those who were travelling.
    Anything else you need to know?

3. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    One thing to mention, Target 2006 is set in a Transformers Movie continuity, it has nothing to do the the Marvel Comics Run.

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I thought it was set firmly in the UK Marvel G1 continuity? It has knock-on effects that set up a lot of other stuff that happened in the Uk comics.

5. Numlock

Numlock Starving Artist

Thanks Draven... yeh, I have some further questions now based on your answers and that wiki review... although I think I got most of it now.

- So why did Galvatron bury Megatron & Soundwave?
    - Why'd Starscream stop/incapacitate Megs at the end?
    - What happened to the captured Scourge?
    - Why would Unicron "influence" Autobots back for Galvatron?
    - So the Autobots build there future city right over Galvatrons weapon anyway?

Think that's it... sounds like an interesting story... I was thinking about it while re-reading the DW Worlds Collide arc... I was wondering what were references to Target 2006 and what was all new...

Thanks

6. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    To stop Megatron getting involved; Soundwave, I believe, was just incidentally buried. Megatron was the target. After he refused to ally himself with Galvatron, Galvatron had to put him somewhere where he wouldn't get harmed.
    Starscream had allied himself with Galvatron, thinking that Galvatron would be successful.
    He was traded for the captured (and mind controlled) Jazz.
    Because he couldn't act directly himself. Remember that Unicron in the past would have had no knowledge of the weapon Galvatron was trying to build; he had to send someone back to stop Galvatron.
    They would have done, if it had been successfully built.

7. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

moving to comics forum.

8. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

It's Marvel UK G1 continuity, yes, as evidenced by the 2006 start date... since that was the date the UK continuity ran with for the movie instead of 2005. And UK G1 did include the US G1, but the US G1 didn't include the UK G1 (except after Simon Furman took over, and he made reference to a few things from Matrix Quest onwards, but it still didn't tie it in, it was then more of a hybrid).

9. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I think also that Target 2006 was the first major UK story that wasn't anything to do with the US Marvel run, so this story is Movie based IMO.

But then somewhere the continuities diverge (probably at the Big Broadcast episode) and by that point its a fully fledged UK continuity.

To be honest though, its all completely convoluted.

10. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    time travel paradoxes make my head hurt.

11. drsyn

drsyn Classics Big member

I loves me some target:2006

Scourge vs Regrouped Autobots > Entire Dreamweave Run

imho

12. Trek

Trek Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Actually it still fits with the US Comics continuity stories of the time (as all the stories upto and including "Time Wars" did), it's just the first major UK story arc.

Incidently "The Big Broadcast of 2006" was also included in the UK continuity as story Wreck Gar told a torturer just prior to "Space Pirates".

13. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I didn't realise that myself.

14. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

I remember a lot of kids writing to the UK comic letters page asking specifically where TARGET: 2006 shoe-horned into the movie. I don't think it's mentioned in the story itself.