expert opinion needed for G1 Stepper (copywrite stamp)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Vexxet, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Vexxet

Vexxet Autocon

I just bought this G1 Stepper. everything about this thing says its legit to me as I was hoping, however the only thing that bothers me is that he has a HASBRO 1980 1984 stamp on the back of one leg to go along with his Takara 1980 1984 Stamp on the other leg. It also says Made in Japan, not Macau or China as the other 1987-88 G1 Japanese Transformers say(kind of minor issue as I think Metrotitan was a MIJ one also? not sure though)

[​IMG][/URL]

2. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Not entirely sure, though I think the reissue had a different stamp--with a date from 2002 or something.

I never kept up on how many later versions of Stepper were made, or if any KOs ever came out, though.

3. FakeEyes22

FakeEyes22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't know a whole lot either, but those date stamps look rather crisp considering how degraded the Jazz face mold got before they refreshed it for the Stepper reissue. I'd think if they remolded the copyright info along with the face, it would have a different Hasbro font and newer dates.

If I get a chance, I'll see how well the stamps match up with my original Jazz and perhaps someone with a Jazz or Stepper reissue will do the same. Maybe there's a difference.

This thing looks to be in beautiful shape.

4. engledogg

engledogg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd say it's legit. As far as I know, there were no Stepper knockoffs made. Also, looking at your pic, the feet do not have the narrow tabs that were carried over from the G2 Jazz mold to the Stepper reissue. Compare the feet in the pics of the original and the reissue found here:

Ricochet (Headmasters) - Transformers Wiki

and you'll see that the reissue features narrow foot tabs while the original's are much wider, which looks an awful lot like yours.

As far as the stamping goes, the Jazz mold (from which this guy was created) was a 1984 bot, which would still have the "Hasbro/Takara 1980 1984, Made in Japan" stampings as they didn't bother to change the mold stampings for Stepper in 1987.

MIKE
    engledogg

5. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The american reissue says 2002 Hasbro Inc.

I have it in hand right this second.

6. Vexxet

Vexxet Autocon

appreciate all the input on this. The only thing scaring me is the Hasbro stamp. I really never remember any Japanese G1 having anything other then Takara. Its not a reissue thanks to your guys help so thats helpful, the only thing it can possibly be at this point if not legit is a KO. And I dont remember this thing ever getting KO'd

Thanks people!

7. FakeEyes22

FakeEyes22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just a guess, but in Stepper's case I'd expect a Hasbro stamp if only because the stamp was added when Jazz hit the U.S. and Takara probably would have just used the updated mold. Then again, I suppose a KO company would likely use a Jazz mold as well, but I think that text is too clean and defined for a KO. It would seem strange to me for someone to go to such lengths to replicate the copyright info since there weren't many collectors to fool during the 80s-early 90s and doing a KO after the reissue seems pointless.

I'm going to go ahead and say congratulations on having such a nice piece.

8. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM 1989 Turbo Trans AM

I would guess legit as well from what I have seen and others have already said.

Someone who has one would be the authority on it, but the tabs on the feet would be the biggie for me as well.

Dare I shudder to ask what u laid out for it price wise? Box in background and figure sure do look nice, get some more pics of it on here.

9. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    I can take a picture of mine tomorrow after work if you would like.

10. Vexxet

Vexxet Autocon

I was doing all the previous posting from work so when I got home one of my worries was alleviated. My Artfire has "Made in Japan" also on it, however since he is still factory sealed inside his white styrofoam I dont know if he has a Hasbro stamp on him as well. I was talking to a friend also who said that the Hasbro stamp could be because they produced them from a Hasbro factory? I have no idea though.

Thanks you for the congrats :) 

11. Vexxet

Vexxet Autocon

Ill get more pics up when I can verify its legitimacy. Otherwise its going back, haha. And it cost quite a bit, but I think thats only because the stickers are still not applied to it and sealed in a factory bag. I Got very lucky on this one!

12. Vexxet

Vexxet Autocon

please do my friend that would be most excellent!

13. cobra zartan

News Credits:
    I forgot all about this! Ill make sure tonight its done :) 

14. Killa-B-Killed

Killa-B-Killed Material Handler

Did the Seller ship it in a wooden box?

Considering the rarity of a MIB Stepper with stickers unapplied........Its Legit......I Sold It To You.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  15. cobra zartan

News Credits:
    Ha well that saves me from having to check mine, KBK is a very trustworthy person.

16. Killa-B-Killed

Killa-B-Killed Material Handler

Thanks CZ.
    I have scrutinized authenticity on super minty vintage items I purchased in the past. Its rare to see vintage Stepper in that condition.

Vexxet.......enjoy the Stepper!

17. Vexxet

Vexxet Autocon

all i wanted was a confirmation that there is a hasbro stamp on the legs. for some reason there is no information on this anywhere on the internet. oh well i guess the search will continue.

18. nicosmith

nicosmith Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The Takara book Reissue

has only a hasbro stamp 2002 made in china on it

almost al vintage japanese g1 has a hasbro stamp ;-)
    even the masterforce and victory toys

19. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Prototype / Testshot collector

News Credits:
    Compared it to my vintage one that I got before the reissue was out, and it has the same copyright, also it's real easy to tell just by the feet, they have the extra "bars" on either side that the reissue doesn't have.

Fred Workshop also has some comparisons
    FredsWorkshop.com