experimenting wit MISBing

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by wavelength, Oct 6, 2007.

1. wavelength

wavelength Well-Known Member

Dipping my toes into the swimming pool of MISB collecting

Now when this opportunity presented itself, well a thought occurred to me. Standing outside at the Asda Radcliffe pick up point, wind sweeping by, with some Warburton’s white rolls, a final battle jazz figure and a longarm deluxe figure in a plastic bag waiting for my mother and sister, both figures still MISB, I had a strangely sane, by my standards anyway, thought;

What if, when I get home, instead of ripping them open, then and having jazz ambushed and then towed away by longarm, how about I keep them MISB and try to get why people keep them sealed away. Because, really, toys are the worst investment ever, besides investing in your favourite food. And with jazz packaged in robot mode, and longarm in tow truck mode, this is going to be my best opportunity for it.

Oh, just spinning these boxes around to try and get a ‘super miracle angle’ I see that instead of quadtrilingualising (12 languages) the second poster/catalogue, the non US packaging just says ‘screw it’. And now word doesn’t accept my new word. Silly Americans and their products. Oh looks, America has been automatically capitalised. But still, I am getting away from the point. Jazz is just standing there, looking down into his cleavage and longarm is well, just sitting there, with his light bar smoothed back in a fashion typical of a balding 40 year olds effort to cover his bald spot.

And to be honest, I can’t say much more. I am itching to open them, and well, while I was hoping to shed my distaste for MISB’ers and become neutral on the subject, this has only worsened it.

Any thoughts?

2. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Bah.

Open Longarm, at the very least. He's AWESOME. You're depriving yourself if you don't transform him and fiddle with his kickass 'bot mode. (And if you don't have any other version of Jazz, you need to open FB Jazz, too.)

The only TF I have that's still sealed is the BW Grimlock I got at BotCon this year. And that's because I'm afraid that when I do open him, his gold plastic will crumble to atoms. I'll still probably end up opening him soon, anyway....

3. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    I'm a fan of MISP, I keep most of my toys that way, I always enjoy when someone posts a MISB collection, for me it just looks more complete than a loose one. If you don't make up your mind, try buying two of each.

4. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

Longarm really is a cool figure. However, if you want to make him better, remove the screw from his right-hand that holds the gun in. This allows you to remove his gun; which makes him look like an Autobot Football player. Just so ya know; the gun will be loose in his right hand without the screw, but will stay nice and firm in his left-hand.

Poseable towtruck Transformers ftw!

~Z

5. wavelength

looks like i flubbed up, given that all 3 of you seem to think that i kept them imprisoned ;) . both are now open, and i am wrestling with longarms truck front.

6. Bobby Lemain

Bobby Lemain Cassette Man

and usually less cluttered.

7. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Open Longarm and FB Jazz if you don'ty have Jazz already.

8. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just open the things. They aren't some insanely rare, fragile, or otherwise valuable figure. They'll never be worth much since the whole reason why old MISB items are worth so much is because hardly anyone collected them like that(no ebay, so no one cared), and now tons of people leave every new $10 figure MISB.

9. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah, I totally agree, Prisoner, the misb values of things today are tanked. Its like when soccer dads got in on the comic book investing of the early 90's, so they made more to accommodate. Now its still all worthless cause there's so much in circulation being kept all minty for retirements.

If you really want to invest in TFs, buy G1s, or stock in Hasbro (HAS).

everything else just takes up space in the basement.

10. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I experimented with MiSB.
    I kept BW10th Dinobot and Turantulas MISB to see if I could.
    Nearly 6 months later. I just dont want to open Dinobot, and Turantulas looks pretty in the box.

11. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

MISB collecting is the ultimate form of patience and self-gratifying. hah j/k

Investing in MISB is a win-win. Nobody loses. On ebay, youre not making the prices, the bidders are. Hasbro is a 3 star low-likelyhood stock right now. But plastics are on the rise, and toy prices will increase, and outsoursing scandals by walmart is in the air. if you invested 10,000 in walmart in the 90's or so, you would have like alot of money. Walmart flipped 13,000 times. Hasbro dividend payout is 16 cents a share. China is where its at. Healthcare, semiconductors, and military contracts...not too long ago buffet said sheetrock.

12. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

If you want to experiment... why not try buying a couple of duplicats. That way you wont be tempted to open them.

13. wavelength

everyone, this was just a hour long experiment. the test is over.

they are open now and in me grubby mitts

14. ultraconvoy

ultraconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    MISB is so much better.
    Just looks more complete and minty knowing it is factory sealed.

15. wavelength

but then you can't get that lead fresh taste /jk :lol 

but seriously, i tried, i got bored, i went to get a can of tango and i cracked the plastic shell and feasted on the playable goodness filling inside.

16. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    you fail!!!!

17. wavelength

whitby, is that you? and if i recall, you raided somerfields for bags, mr, pretty boxes.

18. Rend

Rend Decepticreep Killer

Here's my view:

I only collect G1s now. MISB G1s that is.

Why? Because I played with them when I was a child, and they carry sentimental value now. I've already played with these as a child so really I have no urge to open them. I primarily just use them for display pieces. Childhood nostalgia purposes. ;) 

Now as for my son whenever he buys one he rips it open and I encourage it! I don't want to deprive him of any of the experiences that I had when I was a child. If we wants to play with them he should be able to. I'm sure once he gets older he may not want to open them, and may decide to do the same thing that I am doing now by recollecting sealed boxed TFs.

What I'm trying to say is that if you have a reason for opening them then do it. If you have a reason for keeping them MISB then keep them this way. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, only a reason for each belief.

19. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    YAY!!

Did your experiment yield any results?

20. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Here's the thing about MISB: it's really only effective for ( a ) old toys, ( b ) super rare toys, ( c ) toys with really nice packaging and ( d ) large amounts of toys. Three sealed toys don't look very impressive, but a wall of 50 do.