Experimentations in Giant Robot Filmmaking: a Hypothetical Situation.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Gojira Prime, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Gojira Prime

Gojira Prime Narf

Skip to the bold to get the jist.

So you're sitting there, at your computer, browsing the Radicons section, thinking either "My fellow customizers sure are on thier game! Good show buddies!" or "Wow, why aren't I that talented? I think I want to cry myself to sleep now" when suddenly, a magical man in a white suit and Optimus Prime helmet appears out of a mysterious portal. He says in a God-awful Schwarzenegger impression "Come with me if you care about the Transformers franchise!" You say "My God! That's a horrible Arnold Schwarzenegger impression! But I care about the Transformers franchise, so I'll come with you." And you step through the portal. On the other side is a meeting room filled with Hollywood executives. Now you're like: "What's going on here? Am I getting married to Megan Fox?" And the magical white suit man (still doing his horrible ar-nuld impression) is like: "Better! You see, this is the year 2006, Paramount studios. Michael Bay's Transformers movies have not been made. And they won't be made. Yours will!" Through further talks, you find out that you will have three movies to tell the story/stories you wish to tell. You can use any characters you want, and the designs can be whatever your mind can think up.

So what do you do? What's the story like? Is it an over-arching story? Is it three stand-alone stories? What characters do you use? What continuity(ies) do you base it off of? How do you get the general public interested? The power is yours! The sky's the limit!

Note, I'm not trying to say anything about Bay's movies here, nor am I trying to change anything, I'm doing this for fun, if you don't like fun, don't respond.

2. Awesomus Prime

Awesomus Prime I rise, you fall.

News Credits:
    Sorry, but if it were up to me, I probably wouldn't even make a Transformers movie. I'd probably make a Gundam or Battletech movie, instead. Heheheh. :lol 

EDIT: Or Evangelion!

3. Brutus

Brutus Autobot

Hmm. I might agree. A Battletech movie would be pretty hardcore.

4. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Knowing me, I'd most likely base it off of RID. The designs would be nice, complex, and still have the same feel as the original designs. Each movie would have it's own story to it, but there would also be an overall story arch to the three. The bot's would definitely talk in alt-mode, and I'd find a way to make a giant, robotic, talking, poetic, transforming shark make sense to the general public. I'd also limit Megatron's alt-modes a bit. He'd still be a multi-changer, but with fewer alt-modes. Humans would still be important story-line-wise, but I'd decrease the amount of human-only scenes.

The first movie would pretty much set everything up, introduce the characters, and the reasons behind the war. The second one would introduce the Decepticons, continue the battle, and set up for somethings for the future of the war. The third movie would introduce Ultra Magnus, conflict within the Autobots, and end with a nice clash between the good guys and the bad guys, closing it enough that a sequel isn't needed, but open enough, so that more could be made.

5. Imperator

Imperator Combiner limb

Pretty much the same only without the references to sex and masturbation.

6. Maloknazh

Maloknazh Black Metal Ist Krieg

Ebay:
    Im with you for Evangelion :p 

7. Autoclot

Autoclot Well-Known Member

I'd probably do a modern retelling of the first half of G1. The TFs would take similar alt modes to the current films, but with bot modes more like Alternity - more complex than G1, but not as fussy as TF'07.

Film 1: Basically MTMTE, sets up the idea of Transformers, but ditching the "4 million years" dormant time in favour of them crashing in modern times. Introducing a smaller cast than MTMTE to account for it being a film instead of a lead in to a series. Largely revolves around both sides trying to build up enough energy reserves to get home.

Film 2: Continuing tensions over energy, and covering key elements from G1 s1 & 2 - spacebridge-like technology for quick transport to Cybertron, combiner teams in their infancy. It would end with the Autobots "beating" the Decepticons and many of them leaving Earth. Introduces some characters from TFTM during Cybertron scenes.

Film 3: Initially a similar story to TFTM, but with a more live-action friendly Unicron / Ultimate Evil. As with TFTM, it's a few years after the previous installment, and "something" is threatening the future of Cybertron's existance.

It deviates from TFTM after the battle which appears to kill Megatron and Prime. Once the Ultimate Evil shows up and both sides realise they can't fight it separately, they form an uneasy truce (yes, I'm borrowing from late-Marvel TF and X2 ;) ), with the Decepticons under Shockwave and the Autobots under a more TFA-like Magnus (none of that whiny teen Rodimus, thankyouverymuch).

Once the main villain is gone, both sides go their own way, still technically under a truce, but with nerves frayed and the "peace" highly unstable (thus setting up future potential films).

Before the credits, a shot of the sarcophagi bearing Megatron and Prime drifting through a spacial anomally. There's a closeup of a pair of eyes flickering back to life, but it's not clear which of them it is (Transformers 4: The Search For Megtron? :) )...

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I guess if "Sky's the limit" we don't have to consider budget? Hells yeah! This is what I'd ultimately want:

The first movie would be the introduction. There's a war on Cybertron and the Decepticons are beaten back off world while the Autobots pursue, but as it turns out Earth is a massive staging area for hidden Decepticon reinforcements. So, TFs slowly show up and start popping up around the world, big emphisis on the transformations and different kinds of TFs. Fights happen, Optimus and Megatron actually don't show up until the climax for a big, dynamic fight. The end.

Second is a little more focused on the humans and Autobots peackeeping. Megatron, Starscream and Soundwave are up to their typical wacky hijinx, get put back in place by Ops and the gang. More elitist-types of TFs show up, too, like maybe combiners and micro TFs like Reedman. Fights happen, and the Autobots and humans are put at a serious disadvantage, like a fight for survival. The end.

Third film has lotsa fights, maybe an arial dogfight, a space battle maybe kinda. This time the tables have turned, the Autobots are on the offensive, but the Decepticons have been rallied back and make a desperate last offensive. A really big TF, like Tidal wave maybe (?) shows up. I imagine a scene where he's wading through a deep bay and all these autobots are hanging off him trying to stop him and shoot down Decepticons all flying around. Lots of close up visceral scenes. Oh, and Optimus kills Megatron dead, 'cuz it's the end. The End.

I guess I'd keep the designs he same, though for the sake of the big-guy scenes with little guys around I'd simplify the bigger guys so you can see the little guys hanging off and stuff. Kinda liek demolisher where he had larger solid peices so Prime and Ironhide didn't get washed out. Everyone would look visually interesting like the movies now, but with slightly more exotic vehicle modes for lesser charatcers to give them a litle more flare, and more skewed and interesting robot modes. I suppose the main charatcers would be very much the same ones from the real movies, but without the more vestigal human components, but I'd keep Simmons and lennox as offical Autobot lia... lias- I don't know how to spell it.

I'm no movie-maker, so obviously this is kinda vague, but I really want something visually amazing. I want to go crazy with the idea of transforming robots. Scenes that I would remember for years.

9. Awesomus Prime

News Credits:
    "Or Evangelion!"

10. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Hmm, if I were to make a Transformers live-action movie franchise... I probably would do some sort of a retelling of the G1 series or do a total remake of Bay's Movie-verse.

Or I could do my own take of the Transformers franchise, but chances are I would piss off both Hasbro and my fellow TF fans by doing so. :lol 

11. Brutus

Brutus Autobot

As far as a Transformers story, I always liked IDW's reboot.

12. MekaGojira3k

MekaGojira3k Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would basically, want to take the gist of Bay's movies, and just make them more sane and give a tad more focus to the bots. The reason I'd choose this is just because I wouldn't want to go all fanboy crazy with the story.

One thing I probably would have dealt with is made use of Starscream's CGI model. Modify the head and the weapons and develop new personalities and voila....seekers. Just seems to make sense given all of the abuse of the constructicon models.

Arcee would have been separate characters, ravage wouldn't have died, individual constructicons would be given names and if the script allowed...personalities. Eh, I don't know what I'd do with the third film. Maybe advance the island Nest was on to something more like Autobot city. Involve Shockwave and Megatron stealing energon to get the hatchlings up and running. I also think I might have kept Prime and Megs from dying...especially so early in the franchise. I'd probably have some more definite ideas if I thought about it a bit more.

13. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would keep it largely similar to Bay's style, especially in the first film. I'd stick with the complex designs, and even Prime's flames. And for at least the first half of TF1 I'd keep it even more human-focused. I loved how the PoV was often from the humans in TF1 to give a staggering sense of scale in TF1. However, as the Autobots were introduced, the focus would shift to a more general standpoint of both Bots and humans together in larger shots. So by the end of movie 1, the Bots are fully integrated into the world of the humans. I'd keep with the mystery of the Decepticons in part 1 also, but give them just slightly larger roles and characterization. Come the second film the focus is on both Autobots and humans working together, and give the Decepticons a few more planning/scheming scenes like the Nemesis scene. To add characterization for minor bots, I'd add more in-battle dialogue and trash talk. Not too sure on a plot, but I would show more of Cybertron and go deeper into why the war begin (ie, show an abridged version of Defiance). The major changes would be more characterization for the robots and less fodder.

Cast:
    TF1
    Bots:
    Prime, Bee, Ironhide, Ratchet, Jazz, Prowl, Arcee
    Cons:
    Megatron, Starscream, Soundwave, Ravage, Laserbeak, the TF1 Cons.

14. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

I'd like it if the movie took place in 1984.

that would be pretty neat.

15. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Well-Known Member

I'll probably just end up pissing the fandom off with whatever I did..

16. Awesomus Prime

News Credits:
    Heh. Well, that's the risk you take when doing adaptations of insanely popular properties. It's impossible to please everyone. No matter how faithful and well-thought-out the end result might be, there's always that group of unpleasable fans that refuse to accept change.

In the the end, all you can do is work your very hardest, make a product that you can be proud of, and hope that the majority of the fandom will appreciate your interpretation.

17. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    I actually have an idea in mind for a movie series. I write a little here and there, mostly as practice for a directing course I'm taking next year. I'll spill a few beans here about this film that has a .0000000003009% percent chance of being made:

First, I'd negotiate for a 4-film contract Film one would be sort of like MTMTE, an introductory tale. Films 2 would be about escalation, using some IDW elements. Film 3 would also use IDW elements, but it has a stronger focus on the TF's relationship with humankind, as well as some technological explorations of the Transformer race (expect an Autobot autopsy performed by humans!). Film 4 wraps it up in a big way.

Style: Kind of animated/BW like, but a little less silly. More balanced comic relief (I admit I may smuggle in a joke like Devastator's balls, but it will be more subtle in execution). More focus on the TFs as characters. I also have a pretty neat idea regarding the Cybertronian language. I'd keep Bay's quasi-realistic approach to visuals and lack of mass-shifting. Robot designs would be a little more solid and with less moving parts to make sure that there's enough budget to keep the bots as the main characters (a bit like IDW's current designs). Character development would definitely be more than minimal (what happens when Ratchet's supplies aren't sufficient?), but it won't cover every character, and there will be voiceless cannon fodder (for pete's sake, it's a war!)

Roster: I'll list the roster for film one. No typos WHATSOVER, so don't ask "Don't you mean...?"
    Autobots: Optimus Prime, Prowl, Jazz, Ironhide, Ratchet, Wheeljack, Mirage, Trailbreaker, Hound, Stinger, Blockade (No Bumblebee this time around. Shocking)
    Decepticons: Megatron, Starscream, Soundwave, Scourge, Cyclonus, Blitztread, Octane, Bludgeon, Darkwing, Dreadwind, Runabout, Runamuck, Triggerhappy, Crumplezone, Ransack, Long Haul, Scavenger

Mostly G1-inspired interpretations, with a few from other franchises, as well as 2 new guys (Blockade is Prime's trailer, Stinger is a gold sports car). I'll admit a few deviations will occur, as with all Transformers continuities. For instance: Ironhide will not share a body type with Ratchet, nor would he be a red van, but a gray pickup truck that is HEAVILY rusted; his bot mode would still be recognizable. Constructicons will be introduced gradually, with Devy appearing in either #3 or 4.

Whet your appetites yet?

18. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    having knowledge of Bay's movies, i would make exactly the same movies storywise, but get rid of most of the toilet humor, make Mikaela into Carly, Leo into Chris (making apropriate changes, of course), keep Simmons (liked him!), give Jolt more screentime, and change alot of names. id call Sideswipe Silverstreak, Mudflap Swerve, make or 2 fav soldiers less stupid sounding in ROTF, make Skids and Swerve less stupid sounding (TFA BB anyone?) added a war room scene with Prime and the other Autobots talkin (hear from Silverstreak, Arcee, etc.) and finally add BREAKAWAY!!!! too awesome to not be on the movie-plus then there woulda been an arial dogfight.

EDIT:: id also have Soundwave give the Decepticons their alt modes, and have all the protoform bots as dead dudes from TF1. i also would have made the Clone Constructicon thing more clear, add dialogue for them (even just a bit) and clarify whats the deal with Arcee. oh! and add "Ravage-Eject" and possibly vocode Soundwave's voice. have him in robot mode in space before he attatched to the satelite. also explain more about the Fallen, and have his fight last longer, and add talking in alt mode.

19. Awesomus Prime

News Credits:
    Great ideas, Wheeljack Prime. The only thing I don't agree with is Bumblebee's absense. I'm sorry, but in my opinion, he's an essential character. He's the bridge between the human protagonist and the rest of the Autobots, and their friendship signifies the bond between humans and Transformers.

Other than that small gripe, I love your ideas. You have effectively whet my appetite, my friend.

20. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I really don't see a mainstream TF movie without Bee. If I recall correctly, every single draft written for TF1 changed a lot of characters but all of them had Prime, Megs, Bee, and Screamer. Those four being the real core in terms of necessary characters is pretty undeniable. But I like your ideas a lot, WP.