Customs: Experience with Shapeways?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by trilobitepictures, Mar 8, 2010.

1. trilobitepictures

trilobitepictures Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any experience using Shapeways to make custom parts? Any tips, tricks, advise, horror stories? Any idea how this might turn out? (see attached)

If I've done everything correctly, this should fit into a 1.5 cm cube (the same size as the original Classics CJ head). Will be two pieces for ease of painting- 1) Faceplate, 2) Helmet.

Attached Files:

2. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You have to build the entire piece. By this render I can tell that some of the parts are simply attached - the side pieces of the helmet, maybe the horns. It must be a single piece.

They also have the 1mm wall thickness rule, so I'm not sure about the forehead/crest lines.

3. trilobitepictures

It will definitely be solid, albeit with the hole for the balljoint in the back. The faceplate can be a separate order, but the two definitely fit together, and with a slight gap to compensate for a thin paint layer.

4. trilobitepictures

Oh, and those forehead lines don't go very deep.

5. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I guess I'll post this here as well, so others can know about my Shapeway's experience. Shapeways is great if you want one off parts for yourself. If your planning to make parts to cast and sell to others, you going to have to invest alot of time in sanding the parts. Even with the White Detail material, you will spend several hours to smooth out the parts. For my Skyfall kit I'm working on, I've spent nearly 7 hours sanding it. You basically have to do a couple cycles of sanding and priming. And some parts are just to difficult to sand, like curved surfaces. I've been looking into other print services that can offer better quality for the prints, with out having to do much sanding. The prices are easily 2-4x as much as what Shapeways cost.

Also, one main issue I've run into with Shapeways is geometry issues with the model. When you get them, Shapeways will reject your model. Usually its a manifold issue, which is not very specific on what it is. I've spent 30 min to 2 hours once figuring out what the issue was with my model. You basically have to be careful how you model. The more polygons you have, and end up with a manifold issue, the more stress your going to deal with, trying to figure it out. :lol 

6. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

I've also been using Shapeways a lot, and so far they've been really great. Warning though, i had parts done for a scratchbuild, but they still broke in transit. I'd recommend you stay clear of their minimum wall thickness, just for safety's sake.

Otherwise, pretty good. Got some swords done for a custom, turned out great.

Mind, i'm a total noob at CAD drawing, and still using Sketchup, but if it works for me, it will work for pretty much anyone.

BTW, Venksta, you have any experience with the new Alumide casting? Or sandstone? I presume Sandstone would be way too fragile..