Expensive purchase/Cheap sale?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

What toy was an expensive purchase for you, yet when you had to sell it, it was a cheap sale?

Example, my chromed Kaltor. Cost me $300 MISB, but due to broken legs from removing it from wrist-band, I can't even sell the damn thing for $50. And that piss's me off.

So, have you had a really expensive purchase that got turned around into a cheap sale?

2. MrSneis

MrSneis Build Giant Robot!

News Credits:
    Pretty much every toy I've ever bought that is not a TF :( 

3. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    TFCon Powered Commander burned a lot of people. Botcon 2009 boxset if you're still sitting on any now. A lot of the new exclusives the pass year because a lot more got made then people think especially the Japanese/Asia version trend. Burn scalpers, BURN!!!!!!

ahem. . .

4. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    I could prolly fix those and if you want and when you get more money than 75 we split the rest?

5. Star Saber

Star Saber Primus Hates You!

News Credits:
    A whole bunch of Spawn toys. I got a bunch of limited items too, not worth much these days. I've been a lot luckier with my TFs, Joes and Marvel figs :) 

6. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Pretty much any G1 figure I've ever owned that wasn't Scorponok or Fortress Maximus.

7. Tigertrack

Thanks but I did fix the legs. It's just the way I fixed them it can no longer transform again. You have to unscrew the back, remove the legs and then transform the rest of him to go back into watch mode.

These Kaltor watches have a very tiny-thin knee joint that always seems to break on these figures. I've tried fixing that so it could still function, but it didn't work for me. I had to glue the entire peg into the leg in order for him to stand. :( 

8. deathonacracker

deathonacracker Decepticrumb

Ebay:
    all of my starwars (other than the original) and X-men toys. i only paid retail for them but they arent even going for that much anymore!

one thing about Transformers is they never seem to go down in value... most of them anyway.

9. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    None, really. I prefer to break even.

BUSINESS IS GREAT.

10. siniquezu

siniquezu Well-Known Member

movie figures

11. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't see 'less than retail' as fitting into the category the OP is discussing. If so, we've all experienced that more than once. I am very patient when it comes to expensive items or items that have a high secondary market value. If I can't get it for what my budget allows, then I don't. I have also seen my share of items shoot up on the secondary market so I try to buy everything I can at retail.

12. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    It feels like most every toy I've ever tried to sell. But that's because I'm a damned fool, tend to let the market figure out what it wants (I do a lot of .99 auctions and let them ride with no reserve), and tend to impatiently NEED the money NOW when I sell, and take what I can get out of desperation, rather than waiting for the right buyer to come along who's willing to pay a higher price.

My favorite example is my "Golden God of Destruction Box Set." from GaoGaigar Final, beautiful piece, kind of rare and stupidly expensive when released. I've tried to sell him a few times, and cannot even come close to BREAKING EVEN on ORIGINAL RETAIL on him.

The toy-market is A: A poor investment, period. and B: Currenltly (at least TF wise) desperately artifically inflated.

The Scalpers (and I use the term VERY lightly here, don't no one get their robo-panties in a bunch :lol )who wait patiently with the high-asking-prices establish a false sense of value, which even the less greedy sellers then emulate, because they want to get the same "going rate." But if you (like I often do), put something out there at a low starting rate, it rarely gets as high as the "asking price." If you do a "comopleted listings" search on ebay you'll see a spread over a month that looks something like:

1-2 completed auctions at the current "market price"
    1-10 completed auctions that sold far below the "market price"
    30-40 auctions that did not sell when listed at the "market price"

Have any Henkei/Classics Ironhides or Ratchets sold at the $100+ mark in recent weeks. Yeah, 1 or 2.

Can you be sure that if you LIST a Ironhide or Ratchet that you'll be able to GET $100+ for it? Not at all.

D/L

13. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    For me personally I don't worry about stuff like that very often until I need money and sell stuff on here.But when I do on some things I may lose a few bucks but then turn right around and sell something else above retail and make my money back for the previous fig I sold cheap,so all in all I pretty much break even most of the time,so I am just happy when that happens.Later guys.

14. Tigertrack

I'm also thinking of my recent G1 sale-off I had a few weeks ago. I often cringe the thought of how much money I've lost with that sale. I was just thankful that I was able to pay off my two debts with some spending left over. Still, I was hoping for much more than that as it cost me a lot to obtain that collection in the first place.
    At least my Masterpieces went well, and since I plan on re-collecting Masterpieces and adding more to the Master-Collection, I think I'll keep them as long as humanly possible.

That chromed Kaltor is/was the one exception where it's value dropped considerably. $300 brand new, now not worth much at all due to the legs. The black Kaltor I had, that was still perfectly mint with box, instructions, inserts, and all and I got back exactly what I paid for that one.

Condition of figure and packaging does a lot!

15. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

I always check the completed listings to get an idea of what an item is going for--which may not necessarily be what it's "worth." I also try to ignore the "Buy it Now" auctions as much as I can, as you can't tell if they're impulse grabs, reasonable prices, or game-playing of some kind.

I bought up a bunch of Boxed Beast Wars doubles from Transmetals on up (with some exceptions--Transquito, a couple Infernos, B'Boom, etc.) back when they were on the shelves thinking they'd appreciate in value. With the exception of a handful of known characters, it did not happen. Through some word of mouth and help from one of our TFW goers that had a table at Botcon this year, I was able to sell quite a bit of that stuff off. And while some of those figures made a bit more than I paid for them, some went for cheap just so I could get rid of them and make room for a haul of stuff from both my friend and me. (Hey, you go to Botcon, you come back with loot! :D  ) Happy to have more space and some spare cash, but I'll never recoup that original cost. And that's just the way of it--I rarely bought doubles of anything after that.

16. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    Right there with you! I had some great successes and some sad failures during the beast era. I once found a cache of 12 Primal Primes for like 7 bucks a head at a close-out retailer, bought them all, and over the course of a few small conventions sold all byt the one still in my collection at $30 a pop! At the time they were impossible to find (still don't seem to see too many), so my buyers thought I was a prince for selling them at basic-retail.

Flipside...I discovered that I STILL have about 10 TM2 Cybersharks (aka pre-RID Gelshark/Skybyte) from one of my last Amazon-speculation-buys. I'mma going to bring them (and everything else) to SlagaCon this fall, but I have a feeling, I'm going to still have a few sharks when I come home ;) 

D/L

17. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

You know, if you just set yourself on having a TM2-based Sharkticon army, you could troop build and be ahead of the game! :lol 

And actually I lied...semi-lied, as these were around the BW time frame. I did buy a handful of Ep-1 and later SW figures thinking they'd be worth something. I doubt I could get a dollar each for them even now.

18. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    :lol  I did just that with the same massed size of TM Scavengers I ALSO bought at the time, they became Antagony's foot soldiers.

And don't get me started on that whole "basic" sale/coupon flip-trick that ended you up with free toys at TRU during the Fuzor era (Some of you CLEARLY remember what I'm talking about!) I've got QUITE the little army of the gator/turtle fuzors who are my Predacon riot-cops (what with their giant shields and all)

D/L