Exercise enthusiasts (and those who hate it, but do it anyway)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yoakem, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Yoakem

Yoakem Well-Known Member

And everyone else, too, I guess.

What's your routine like? Do you enjoy it, or tell yourself to man up and do it, anyway? Do you like to work to music, the television? Do you prefer going to an actual gym or working at home? Do you prefer to stick to one thing, instead of trying different things? (ex: walking or bike riding exclusively)

I'm trying to get some new ideas. I get up at around 7-8AM and do a quick 20-25min workout, either a cardio tape or get on our stationary bike, then usually do the stationary bike in the afternoon for another 15-25min, then later in the evening do a 30min-1hr exercise tape. I know it's important to watch what you eat, too, but I'm not going to post that bit here.

Some days I just feel like mixing things up and trying something new. Plus, it's always fun/inspiring to hear what other people enjoy, and to hear about what they've accomplished.

2. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    I walk 5 miles, every other day. The days I am not walking I ride my bike 10 - 15 miles, sometimes I go up to the beach on my bike 20 miles and then walk the mile boardwalk, I have to walk the bike since you can't ride after 9am. I play ice hockey twice a week. Sometimes I stay on the ice for 3 hours, once a week I might stay double time and do 6 hours on ice a day.
    And occasionally ride the horse, but usually just walk him around the yard.

I used to play roller hockey too, but I tore my meniscus. D:

and to answer your question about music, I listen to my ipod the whole time. Sometimes when I walk I bring a friend then no ipod.

3. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I run five miles every day on the treadmill....at 5:30 in the morning with a goal of doing it in under 40 minutes. I usually watch DVDs during the run, but will switch to my iPod from time to time.

After work, I do P90x everyday. For awhile I did 20-40 minutes eliptical, but I don't really like the machine that much. I really would like to get my bike fixed but keep ignoring it.

So my routine is pretty vigorous, but worth it. I like being in great shape.

4. Yoakem

Yoakem Well-Known Member

How do you feel about p90x? How was it in the beginning? I've been meaning to check it out, but am afraid I won't even be able to attempt it, and would hate to waste my money. I have NO upper or lower body strength :(  I bought Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and was doing it regularly for a while, but quit, and am l working up to it again. I'm starting with a Richard Simmons dance tape, then checking out a few Tae Bo videos before I hit up JM's 30 day shred again. After I can manage those without passing out or dying, I really want to check out p90x.

5. Travicon

Travicon Nerdbot

Im not too into exercise but im currently taining for this: Warrior Dash | Home
    its gonna be awesome!!!

6. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

There's a booklet that comes with P90x that comes with a "minimum requirements" set of tests that you do beforehand to determine if you're ready for the extreme workouts. If you're not already in some kind of decent shape, then P90x is not really intended for you.

I was actually very skeptical of how difficult it would be going in, but that changed quickly after the first workout, of which there are 12 different ones. Somedays it kicks my ass, and others I'm able to get through unscathed if I'm feeling good. It definitely is the real deal if you are serious about it. I felt I was in good shape going in because I ran everyday, but was humbled quickly. P90x takes getting in shape to a whole other level and you will see the changes over time.

One workout...Plyometrics...is the devil of workouts. I don't care how good a shape you're in, it is extremely difficult and will make you pant and pour sweat by the end of it. Thus they offer a shortened and less intense Cardio X DVD as a substitute.

I'm about to finish my second round of it and the results are unquestionable...especially with the weight lifting aspect of it. There's some intense cardio with it, but running has helped a lot with getting through those DVD's okay...they're just fitness enhancers for me.

7. silenth

silenth Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love to run. I run 5-7 miles 6x a week. I think my body is addicted to it. If I Don't run for more than 2 days I get headaches and feel miserable.

As far as p90x, it's a solid routine and it works. You just have to put in the time and effort. But it's definitely not for everyone.

One more thing, check out the warrior diet. As goofy and stupid as it sounds, it worked for me. Dropped 60lbs one the warrior diet. Running became easier and more fun when I lost my first 10lbs.