Excuse my confusion about animated toys

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MidnightBliss, Jan 8, 2009.

1. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

I see many remarks about how amazing it is that the animated toys look so much like their on-screen counterparts. However, didn't Cybertron toys look just like the animation? The transformations were even the same. Why is Aminated held in such high regards and Cybertron isn't mentioned?

2. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

Cybertron sucked?

3. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I was talking to my sister's fiancee about Animated just before the toys came out. He was amazed when I told him that the toys would actually transform. You see, he didn't think it was possible to engineer toys that would transform from show accurate vehicle modes to show accurate robot modes. That's what the big deal about TFA is.

4. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    I think part of the deal with Animated is that it's the first time since the end of Beast Wars where the toys and animation models were developed in tandem. If I recall, Cybertron merely took the toys and made animation models based on them, so of course they look similar.

Moreover, the aesthetic of Animated would make one think that transforming toys would be impossible, let alone anything remotely like the animation model. To get figures so close to the animation models is, for the most part, doing the "impossible," and I believe that is why Animated engineering is held in such high regard.

EDIT: Hah, I've been beaten. XP

5. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    It has to do with the stylization of Animated's animation. Cybertron's toys did look just like the model's but they were the typical "eliptical" designs Transformers' robots have had since G1 (excluding Beast Wars and Beast Machines of course). When they were first leaked, Animated's designs appeared to be near-impossible to accurately replicate in plastic form so for such a faithful reproduction in toy form was a big surprise to alot of people. I think that's where all the excitement stems from.

Whether or not I like Animated style, I give the design team major props for coming up with the toys that resemble the cartoon characters pretty close for the most part.

edit: beaten two times...damn those long explanations :lol 

6. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Umm BINGO!?! Me and a co worker discussed that at work one day last winter. They look really cartoony and we wondered how they could be show accurate and transform. Especially with how exagerated some of their bodies are.

7. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

*does happy dance*
    It's normally me that writes a long explanation, then finds I've been beaten to it. Yay me!

8. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Cybertron rendered the cartoon characters to match the toys. And they went way overboard. Like, down to the sliding tab on Prime's back that you pushed with your thumb to raise his head. So... yeah. No surprise that the toys looked the same.

Animated developed their character models to fit the cartoon's visual style instead of copying a toy.

9. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

Thanks to all for the responses. It makes much more sense now.