Excuse my blasphemy, but...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TheCuddlyDevil, Jul 25, 2009.

1. TheCuddlyDevil

TheCuddlyDevil Well-Known Member

Excuse my blasphemy, but "UGH! Prime!"

That's right, I said it. Optimus Prime is pretty much *the* Transformer, and very well an icon, but how much of him can we get? How many incarnations, classes, and paint schemes? I love Prime as much as the next TF fan, but lately I've noticed that it just doesn't seem like a very interesting toy to me. I may be out of touch with series, but I'm told there are other characters in the Transformers universe. Ya know, other than Prime.

This is not a Prime-bashing at all (before someone goes in a tantrum), but I think I'm voicing rather rational thoughts on this matter. A bit of focus should be cut back from Prime and be put in some of the other characters.

Surely I'm not the only one who thinks this.

Surely.

2. Excelsior Prime

Excelsior Prime Autobot Leader

Answer: never enough.

And don't call me Shirley.

3. iheartarcee

iheartarcee Idonotheartbeastwars

Sorry.. I'm not with you here... I can think of only a couple prime molds I dont like... I've also thought about only collecting primes just cause they are usually great molds and prime is a huge part of my childhood.

4. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I doubt it will change, for one reason.

Optimus = $$$

5. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I find your views offensive and wish to have your newsletter stricken from the face of the Earth.

Seriously, what's the problem? Every TF line gets a Prime and a Megatron. I don't see a problem with that being a constant, when so much else changes. You don't like 'em, don't buy 'em.

6. DJ Soundwave

DJ Soundwave Action Figure Master

Not Every line has had a Optimus Prime and/or a Megatron

7. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Neither Here Nor There

News Credits:
    I can't think of a line that hasn't had a Prime and Megs

8. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

I fail to see how Transformers could survive without Optimus being in each series in some way (even in the "Beast" side timeline extention, G1 Prime showed up in both B-Wars and I THINK B-Machines, but even then there was Optimus Primal). Animated took an interesting take on Prime, presenting him as a lesser leader who was in charge of the spacebridge maitenance team, while Megatron was still the Decepticon leader.

Actually, there's a good comparison as to how TF's will fail if Optimus is not in it. Generation 1, Season Three. Instead of Optimus, we got Rodimus, and Season Three is regarded to be where G1 started to falter (they even had to bring Optimus Prime BACK to lead the Autobots towards the end).

9. Optimus Sledge

Unless you're going to nitpick and say that Beast Wars/Machines had Optimus Primal, I can't think of a line that didn't have Prime and Megatron. And Primal was orginally going to be an updated Optimus Prime, so... yeah.

10. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Beast Wars didn't have a Prime, however I think the Optimus Primal bat was supposed to be a reincarnation of Optimus Prime.

11. DJ Soundwave

Aparently you've never heard of Zone , or Victory (even thought Victory Leo was Prime but in a way didn't resemble him)

12. Optimus Sledge

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but those stories are continuations of G1? Therefore, they come under the heading of "every TF line gets a Prime and Megatron."

13. DJ Soundwave

For the Continuity they fall out of place in several areas, which technically make them different realities / Continuities.

14. David

David . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    We don't really count overseas releases and even then all the leaders are red white a blue.

I don't count Zone because it only had one ep. Dai Atlas was Yellow, white, and blue so its pretty close.

Ginrai was the one who became Leo, even though he looked like Prime he never was.

Edit: For some reason I want to open my window and holler NERDDDDSSSS.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  15. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Optimus puts food on the table of Hasbro and Takara employees. In other words, he makes the money, the dough, the moolah.

16. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    I agree with this. Japanese G1 is still G1.

17. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Also, didn't Ginrai appear in Victory for like, 2 episodes?

18. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Yup.

19. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    its as simple as this Prime is Transformers ask random people on the street to name a transformer odds are they will say Optimus prime,Megatron or Bumblebee

the iconic transformers are guarenteed sellers so they keep coming back end of discussion

20. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    In all fairness, I would not count the Japanese material. They use the concept that there are many guys named "Convoy", and generally run with different leaders.

Also, Optimus is the main hero. He's the A-List, alongside Megatron and just lately Bumblebee. They're the three characters who'll get marketed the most.

Although in all fairness, three out of a very big line. This isn't like the Armada days when there were half a dozen bots on either side through the run of the line, and having two slots taken by Optimus was a big deal. These days, we get more waves, and more characters overall. There's plenty of room for other characters to get used, and I am extremely impressed by the selection of characters in recent lines. Especially RotF which has begun to really dig through the lists of old characters for the likes of Skystalker and Mindwipe.