Exclusives.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Kaymac, May 14, 2011.

1. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I often find myself in horrible situations instilled by exclusives.

Exclusives are usually half-assed repaints that get flooded into the stores, or amazing toys that don't get any distribution at all. I was hunting for a Legends Devastator for MONTHS, and only saw Ramjet and Skywarp once ever. Masterpiece Skywarp I have only seen twice, both times when I had no money.

Recon Ravage got dumped into Canadian Toys "R" Us stores as an exclusive and warmed shelves for ages.

Stores also get very picky about exclusives. That's why we can't get our goddamn Animated Blackouts stateside.

And those weird, brightly-colored two packs at Zeller's/Target? What were they thinking!?

I'm just a little angry about exclusives, since they usually end in despair for me. What do you think of exclusives?

2. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Welp. My Wal-Mart is actually very at keeping their exclusives on shelves. I got the ROTF Skywarp there. And I could have picked up Ramjet, but decided against it in favor of my favorite little purple-pushyoudownthestairs-bot.
    But that's just it. Almost every exclusive these days go to Toys R Us. And it enrages me because I don't have a TRU where I live XD. I got to one yesterday, and I saw animated Cybertron Ratchet and Ironhide, and the green legends Devastator, so I suppose they're on the right track as it comes to exclusives.
    Ah well. What's one to do. I'm just glad that BBTS typically keeps the exclusives in stock somehow. So I'll be able to grab such hard to find things as those there.

3. Grimlockprime16

Grimlockprime16 Me Grimlock King!

I dont like them much eather. Half the time there hard to find of they just pegwarm cuz they look stupid.

4. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Love em, they get some product out there that we likely would never see (wish there was a few more picked up though). With minimal effort I have never had problems getting any of the exclusives (though a few retailers are a little tougher). Target and Walmart around me are pretty good about stocking a significant amount of any exclusive, and the rollout is fairly universal by area. TRU can be spotty and seems to get a few here and there. The key is knowing your local stores stock days, and with TRU the stock number. When items like the Animated Deluxes and MP Grimlock was hitting TRU, I would have them run the stock number the night before their truck arrives. At TRU the products usually arrive in the computer system the night before they get there so I know to get their early the next morning.

The thing that got me the last movie cycle was the amount of crappy exclusives they dished out, Banana Brawl, almost anything movie at TRU, many of the Target packs. It is the worst with TRU as they seem to like sitting on stock. There will probably be ROTF exclusives on the shelf at TRU when DOTM is released on DVD.

You just have to expect a little more effort will be required with exclusives, especially in-demand ones. This hobby takes some time. Wonder (hopefully) if it will improve up there when Zellers officially starts converting to Target.

5. Barricade24

Barricade24 Decepticop Artist

News Credits:
    Well when I have gone to a Toys R Us that is 2 hours away the ALWAYS have exclusives. Probably because no one buys from them because things are so expensive. My Wal-Mart tends to get most things and then they sit around for awhile.

6. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    I strongly dislike exclusives, i understand they are a necessary evil and all but all the same they have made it much more difficult for me to get some things i want at retail and for 2 exclusives in particular Fansprojects hasn't helped! :lol 

7. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I enjoy non-movie, non-Mini-con, non-Legends exclusives. The value of those things always shoot up dramatically (because they're usually exclusive to one store in one country) and many people end up passing on everything.

8. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    The thing is with not liking the movie exclusives is you miss out on stuff like Big Daddy and Crasher, both of which have insane value now.

9. Moriarty

Moriarty = ♀

News Credits:
    At least you're actually in the right country for exclusives. The UK doesn't have half the US shops that get the damn things, and our TRUs are sadly lacking.

Frickin' Target.

10. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    don't like them, like uni hardhead, he would have been better as a mainline release instead of storm cloud, usually they are easy enough to find if there is a store here, or the stores here carry them, that legends exclusive 5 pack, i hate, only one of them i want and not paying $35 plus tax for one legend

11. Kaymac

We don't have Target up here in Canada, so they get sent to Zeller's. I don't see why they can't just send exclusives to the equivalent UK stores too. I always complain about distribution and stuff in Canada, but there are places that are much worse off for TFs that I should think about.

12. Moriarty

Moriarty = ♀

News Credits:
    Ach sorry, for some reason I thought you were in the States. *headdesk*

I know Hasbro doesn't get involved with distribution, but they bloody well ought to. Look at the chaos generated by Windcharger not releasing the US; that's a hell of a profit they were missing out on, that's all gone to scalpers doing their job for them. =/

13. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Better to get something exclusive than to not get it at all. And any system that gives us repaints like Darkwind, red Powerglide, Universe Ratbat, Movie Hoist, Animated Ironhide, Universe Countdown, etc., when they might not have seen release otherwise, is fine by me. Exclusives, while annoying to track down, are a good way to get those somewhat obscure-ish repaints that are great for fanboys but might not make the cut for mass retail.

I will say that those recent, gaudily-colored Target and Walmart 2-packs were mystifyingly bad, though. Even working with the same set of molds, that was the chance to get some nice homages (Brawl into Quake, Sideswipe into Tracks, etc.) that was kinda wasted.

14. Kaymac

The problem is, the Wally World Ultras weren't released up here. I really wanted that red Powerglide too. :( 

Hasbro does a lot of cool stuff when it comes to exclusives, but it's only at certain times. Universe gave us a slew of awesome stuff, but when it was over, those ugly-ass movie repaints took over. They need to do some actual nice-looking repaints instead of weird-ass banana-skin Brawls and green-lightning Bumblebees.

15. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I only like them if you can find it at stores and end up on clerance. Too bad that rarely has ever happened. T_T

16. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, necessary evil. You have two choices: 1) Exclusives that are a bitch to find or 2) No exclusives ever. It's a little better in the states because exclusives are specific to stores so they usually have to order a crapload of them. Target is the best as they'll put them on sale and then clearance them out later. Walmart is good because you'll be able to easily find them but sucks because Walmart almost never puts items on sale or clearance and those exclusives items will sit there clogging up shelf space.

17. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

zellers will go bye bye and say hello to target! you're in BC i'm in quebec. quebec gets nothing whenever its an english package only TRU exclusive. hopefully target would be nicer.

18. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

To be fair, we do get store exclusives over here, like RotF Skywarp & Ramjet in Asda, MP Grimlock in TRU, the HftD Diego Garcia set in Sainsbury's and I only ever saw Animated Stealth Lockdown and Rescue Ratchet in Tesco.

But I do agree that as a general concept, exclusives can either be great or insanely frustrating, depending on where you live.

19. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't have much problem with them, especially since they've been the only way for us to get certain figures. Ie - All MP molds other than Prime (and Megatron), four additional Animated Deluxes, a couple of the 6" Titanium molds, G1 reissues (including the recent Insecticon, Perceptor and Seacon sets), etc. At least down here, they're also stocked heavily enough to be fairly easy to find and often hit clearance before finally moving out, except at TRU where they sit at full price for eternity, granted. With the exception of Animated Arcee and Rodimus, I can't think of an exclusive in recent memory that has been overly difficult to find at retail.

On the other hand, we seem to be getting a number of lackluster exclusives lately, whether that's figures with bizarre/awful colour schemes, repaints of crappy molds or sets where only one figure in the pack is of any interest and the others are bad.

20. poisoncow

poisoncow Well-Known Member

See: Alternator's + WalMart = rage