Excellent 'sleeper' molds

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Polenicus, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    This is a thread to give props to those toys that might be overlooked, because they didn't actually show up in the cartoon of their respective series, or perhaps had only a brief appearance. Or perhaps they were from an obscure line altogether? Nevertheless, these molds had a surprising amount of character to them, and deserve some props of their own.

(As a note, I intend this thread for OBSCURE characters. Posting an Optimus Prime or a Megatron, no matter how awesome or obscure that particular version is, is an automatic fail. Those guys get enough threads of their own)

So, let's start with some of my favs (I linked these images from the forums own gallery. If that's a problem mods, please kill them and I'll post my own images later):

Movie Wreckage

For a first wave, non-movie appearance bot, this guy is remarkably awesome. Poseable, with a weapon with a few undocumented tricks, and a look that just screams 'mean'

[​IMG]

Energon Sharkticon

Another show no-show who is actually superior to a lot of the in-show molds. He turns into a... well, some sort of ship, whatever it is, it looks MEAN. Robot mode has a kind of funky, Magneto-helmet look going which works surprisingly well for him.

[​IMG]

There are others, of course, but I'm just kicking this thread off. Post the ones you think are worthy of mention!

2. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

These are two of my recent favorites also, along with Cybertron Sideways/Noisemaze.

3. defstar

defstar Autobot...

RID Axer...

4. STL

STL Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have to agree with you there. Both great are toys. I'd say TFM Longarm too but I guess he's more recognisable rather than obscure.

I really can't tell the difference b/n show characters as I never watched many of the shows and purely scarf up what I find to be appealing. I think Cybertron was a great line, for instance, but have no idea which character appeared (other than the obvious ones of course)

5. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

AirRaptor. Some bot's think they're Clint Eastwood.

But this is the only bot with the poncho and quick draw pistol.

6. kissmekillme

kissmekillme Well-Known Member

Universe Repugnus is one of m favorites, that gets very little love.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    TM2 Black Prowl, it's just badass

8. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've always liked Cybertron Downshift & Movie Stockade. I'd say Oil Slick but he's going to be in the comics and possibly in Season 3 of Animated.

9. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn Well-Known Member

OMG i love Sharkticon! easily the best energon deluxe.

10. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Movie Dropkick

11. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Agreed on Stockade, such a fun, brutish lil' guy. And again with Oil Slick, were it not for the fact that he is likely to show up in fiction sometime.

Still my favorite movie Deluxe.

I had the original version of that mold from the BW: Fuzorz line. Was cool, really dug him.

Eh, don't really have anything off of my head other than what has been mentioned already.

Though I guess some of the non-show BW Transmetal 2's should get some mention, like Scourge. Also, the mutants were an interesting concept, had some cool looking figures (and some were a lot of fun, like Icebird).

12. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I was always a fan of Cybertron Brimstone, it's rare a deluxe gets articulated fingers. And Energon Slugslinger for being one of the few jet Transformers where the cockpit wasn't his chest or folded onto his back.

Have to agree on Sharkticon, too. I love the mold, just a shame it never got a more subtle repaint, I know several that skipped him counting on the yellow and purple going away.

13. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Beast Wars B'Boom...very cool primate and has a great robot mode.

14. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Beast Machines Spy Streak. Solid jet mode with a superb set of gimmicks, and a thoroughly badass robot mode.
    In fact, BM gave us some of the best basics we've ever had IMO; Spy Streak, Tank Drone, & Obsidian.

15. DestronGenerals

DestronGenerals Well-Known Member

This... and the Universe repaint (Fireflight) is even better, IMO with the RiD repaint also looking very good. I agree about good basics from BM but also from BW. One that I think fits perfectly into this thread is Insecticon from BW. He's awesome! looks badass in bot mode and has a sweet little cross bow that he can hide under his carapace. I love that toy.

also going for the old school, Doublecross (a monsterbot) i think looks really striking and powerful in bot mode and while the alt mode leaves something to be desired i always thought it was a fun mold. could be the nostalgia though.

16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    QFT.

17. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The scout class semi in Cybertron repainted to botcon Huffer. For the life of me I can't remember his name. Also Cybertron Shortround because of the toilet mode. And Cybertron Scrapper because of the 20 different fan modes.

18. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It was Armorhide, but I feel they shoud've named him Pipes. Both good choices.

19. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Regular BW Cybershark. He has the tail\claw pincher, the shark head can be used as a shield or maul, has a chest cannon and the torpedoes can be held as swords or a dual schimitar.

20. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The only one I can think of at the moment is G2 Windbreaker. I picked him up recently and am loving him. He seems to be a good update on G1 Windcharger (my first TF). He has a fun transformation, the engine is his gun, light piped eyes (I didn't know they used that that far back). I am currently planning on getting another to repaint as Windcharger. All in all a fun little guy from a line I barely noticed in the store.