Exaplian poseability to me

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MechanovaKing, Mar 9, 2011.

1. MechanovaKing

MechanovaKing Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So i have Drift fighting G2-Laser-Prime here.

Why doesn't Drift have a waist or feet? I was told back in the day toys get only X many moving parts. But G2-Prime has a waist, hips, feet, wrist.
    And still has pointless rotating wheel on his legs.

Why couldn't Drift have at least gotten a waist?

2. Movie PRIME

Movie PRIME Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I guess G2 Optimus Prime is just the better Swordsman! ;) 

3. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Multiple Answer:

1. Hasbro hates us.
    2. Drift ate too much. Ever seen a fat man try to move his waist?
    3. Drift is such a badass he reposition his entire body whenever he wants, because he is just that good?
    4. more BS.

4. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Due to the complication of making a toy transform, there is no guarantee that any specific articulation will be present.

I'm not sure anyone has the specifics on why the choices were made for Drift vs. G2 Prime or any other figure, but each figure is different and Hasbro has to account for things like total number of pieces in a figure (adding a joint can turn what might be one piece of plastic into two), durability (a joint can, depending on the design and placement, weaken a toy and make it more prone to breakage) and just general aesthetic concerns when determining how many joints a figure gets and where.

5. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There are many things to be considered but I imagine the biggest points are cost and design.

6. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Yeah, but look at WFC Soundwave. He has 11 points of articulation on him. Same price as everything else.

So it is hard to know why they do what they do.

7. typev3

typev3 @VinceSanchez

because Drift's huge sword cost Hasbro too much money.

8. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    The "number of parts" or "points of articulation" only accounts for part of the cost. You still have other factors like paint apps, the amount of plastic used, the quality of plastic used, etc etc. So yes, WFC Soundwave can have more articulation, but maybe it used less plastic, have less paint app, etc.

In addition, I am unsure about this, but how do you or anyone know for sure, that each bot have the same budget? Maybe the budget is maintained on a "per wave" basis.

I am saying, too little information, to make that statement.

9. Bogatan

Bogatan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Its possible the cost is per wave rather than per toy and Soundwave was kept simple to allow more time and resources to be put towards other figures.

10. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I meant the same price to buy. It could be budget per wave. By the way, WFC Soundwave has tons on plastic, good quality but not that much paint.

11. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    part count and molding cost play a big part in to how many joints a figure has.
    Drift has a loft of extra pieces, not just his weapons but all the holsters for them

12. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Because he didn't.

13. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I know full well you mean its the same price to buy. I am saying that since we do not know hasbro's business model (aka, budget per wave, charge the same? budget per bot, same for each bot, etc?), we should be careful with analysis as we have very little information.

Also, WFC have "tons on plastic". Yes. That does not negate that Drift can have MORE plastic. We know very little about the plastic, paint, and their relative cost, etc. But there is absolutely no point in discussing about "who has more plastic", because we have absolutely NO information on it. So claiming either way, can be wrong without sufficient evidence.

Also, I was listing plastic and paint as examples of cost. Even on those, there are many other cost factors.

14. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Articulation design is not a standard. There's always the attempt to make the figures reasonably articulated, but that still goes by the wayside if it interferes with the figure's inherent design, or falls on the wrong side of budget constraints.

Drift doesn't have much foot articulation because of the way his feet transform. It simply doesn't allow for it.

As for the waist joint, that's hardly standard anyways. But Drift has quite a number of parts that comprise his torso already, so maybe it was determined that another joint there would interfere with the assembly.

Or maybe it's an inherent issue with his design. Drift doesn't have a clean cut line around his waist where they could add a joint without interfering with the geometry in an aesthetically pleasing way.

Whatever it is, it's a moot point. Drift is plenty articulated. Anything more is a frivolity.

Note that he has double-jointed elbows, where RTS G2 Prime does not. Also, a much nicer neck-joint.

15. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Also R&D could be factored into it, I remember when Drift was coming out, they specifically wanted him to be able to two hand his big sword. But now they have cracked the design of that for arms, they can apply similar engineering to figures that come after for less money.

And every figure is different, and for me I don't think not having a waist or floppy ankles takes anything away from what mold.

if there was a standard base skeleton that all TFs got designed from, it would get boring pretty fast.

16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Pretty much. The waist is typically seen as a lower-priority joint.

You'll notice your Drift is far more complex, has more sculpted detail, is smaller and costs a heck of a lot less. That's probably the best reason why he doesnt have a waist. The feet (I assume he means ankles) well, I have no idea how they could give him ankles considering how he transforms.