Customs: Examples of Problems, please help find solutions!

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by roykop, Sep 27, 2008.

1. roykop

roykop Cassetticon

News Credits:
    OK, so a while ago I posted my custom Thundercracker, and was quite pleased with it. For the most part, I still am, but as I now want to move forward and create several more seekers and Coneheads, I don't want to repeat the same mistakes I made on this one. (I ended up ordering Henkei TC anyway, so this was a good learning experience)

Here are the problems as I see them:

1) I used Krylon Fusion Spraypaint on Acid Storm, as you may be able to see from the closeup wing... the textures are Inconsistent. The Wing/Missles are like a fine sandpaper. The "legs" are a little smoother. The "back" is nice and smooth. AT the time I thought I used to much paint.. guess not. I am worried over too thick a paint layer though. :mad 

2) The little pieces that allow the wings to flip up in bot mode had their paint rubbed right off. Did I not protect it right? I didn't sand the parts, and I tried to use clear coat, but it may have missed that area. :confused: 

3) Some areas, due to carelessness, did not get blue on them (behind the head, under the ankles, where the back meets the legs). I tried to make them visible in the pictures :inquisiti 

4) I know the clear cote made the cockpit foggy, and I know I should have masked them off before spraying.. I am just providing evidence that I am not very intelligent. :dunce 

So, PLEASE, any and all suggestions are welcome! Was Spray Paint the wrong choice? Should I try Airbrush next time? Should I practice removing pins and REALLY take the entire thing apart (I usually stick with the screws) Do I need a better Finishing coat, or more of it? I like the final look from afar, but I would prefer to be able to transform them once in a while and not worry about paint chipping off :banghead: 

Thanks in advance to those of you that take the time to offer any ideas. There is a fortune of amazing talent on these boards, and I just hope I can soak as much of it in as possible. Good luck to everyone else out there, and looking forward to seeing your own customs soon :thumb 

Attached Files:

2. Mr. Knight

Mr. Knight Well-Known Member

Hi roykop. I'm doing the same thing and would also like some help. I'm on my 4th seeker and still have some of the same problems. the 1 idea i have that might help is dye the wing joints and nosecone.

Great thread idea,

3. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

first off your work looks great. i personally don't like fusion or well i don't hate it but, i feel its a bit over glorified.
    what i do in situations like this is wet sand it with 600 then 1000 grit sandpaper trying not to rub through the paint on edges and general surface areas. you will probably have to re coat after that.
    what i see from the rough texture can be due to thick of a coat or contaminates like oil or soap on the surface before painting.
    all you can do about rub areas is to sand the joint down before paint to allow them to pass each other with a layer of paint on them.
    on an airbrush the earlier you start to play with one of those the better. airbrush blows away rattle cans hands down.
    all in all though your work looks great and will get better and better the more you do it :thumb 

4. MrMurder

MrMurder Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hey roy, one thing that will certainly help you in the future when working with spray paints is to remember, as everything else, one coat is not at all the best (not saying you used only one coat). my point is, work with many very thin layers. hold the can about a foot away from the project and take your time, spray 5 or 6 very thin coats. and fill in the gaps with a brush later. i've found this works extremely well.
    not only that. you may want to look into some future floor finish for that high sheen ultra protection.

"I'm full of information. I'm like an info-mercial. You know what that is? It's INFORMATION you get in a COMMERCIAL... eh, let's see if one's on"

5. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

The little joints for the wings need to be sanded where they will rub the back section.

Clear coats will protect against many things,but rubbing is not one of them.

And finally try using a primer first,then paint him.
    Find a Russle's Do It store and use one of their primers.
    Their enamal based a strong,Fusion is good too(some times)

At any rate after priming,then paint and give it a day before giving it another coat,same with the clear coats.

6. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    "...the textures are Inconsistent"

That is exactly why I'm not a big fan of Krylon Fusion. I completely trashed a project because of inconsistent textures with Fusion.

Frenzy_Rumble airbrushes the stuff and his work always looks grade A, so perhaps airbrushing it is vital to having more consistency in the textures *shrug*

7. kingrich78

kingrich78 Well-Known Member

How do you get krylon fusion or for that matter any type of spray paint out of an arisol can and use it with an airbrush? By the way, I though frenzy_rumble only uses the drybrush technique

8. roykop

roykop Cassetticon

News Credits:
    I don't have much experience with it, but I'm pretty sure the airbrush technique would use bottled paints, more likely acrylics. Spray Paint wouldn't really be used in that case other than as a Primer possibly (hope i'm right on this one)

9. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    The Fusions don't work very well when the cans pointed down I have found. I usually cut the side of a box off and set it at a level I can spray with straight on. Also, be sure you are shaking the can up for at least 90 seconds before using it, that stuff separates like crazy.

As for airbrushing, if F_R is airbrushing the fusions (which I am not sure he is, I thought he just primed with it) you can spray paint into a bottle or bowl and it won't set right away, and you can add to your airbrush then.

10. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    you should ALWAYS sand any area that rubs before you paint it so that there's plenty of room for clearance after the paint is added.