Examples of G1 Case finds years later?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by tilallareone08, Oct 1, 2012.

1. tilallareone08

tilallareone08 Well-Known Member

I read in one of the threads about someone finding a case of series 1 and 2 Decepticon jets in South Carolina years later.

Does anyone have any examples of boxed G1 stuff that was discovered years afterwards - like in a stockroom or whatever and went into collector's hands? I'm real interested...

Pics would be awesome as well! :)  The whole idea of it is totally awesome. Like opening up a time capsule of case fresh G1 goodness!!!

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    These stories are the stuff of legend, I've never heard of a truly reputable, cited example.

I think it's extremely unlikely it's going to happen anymore, like 28 years after the fact, but maybe with some newer stuff.

The way the stories usually (as I hear them) go is that it's an independent retailer, like a mom and pop general store or local department chain in a sleepy town somewhere, and they go out of business. So their warehouses get liquidated, and inside they find all sorts of absolutely ancient merchandise that never got sold or sent back, due to the nature of the store. So they find entire skids of old transformers that came out YEARS ago, but that have never even been out of their packing crates.

I think the closest I've seen in my experience is a flea market/liquidator that had a set of original transformers balloons from the 80s (and party invitations from M.A.S.K.), and this was in like 2003-2004. What probably happened was these balloons were at a convenience store or a local general store or maybe another flea market, and the entire contents of their "party section" just got boxed up and sold from one business to another, down the "line of liquidation", until they ended up at this bottom-of-the-barrel liquidation store alongside refurb-ed electronics and a TMNT shredder that was misassembled in the package.

3. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

If I remember, weren't there a bunch of Sky Garrys and Nightbeats found a few years back? Sky Garry was cheaply available during that time on eBay. I'm less sure about Nightbeat.

But yeah, as for "reputable sources" for either of those, I got nuthin'.... just apocryphal reports and a memory of cheap eBay prices. :) 

Still waiting for someone to find that unopened cargo container full of Black Zaraks, Minervas, Liokaisers, and Dino cassettes. Check your shipping docks, people!

4. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime I see the story in your eyes...

5. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    The other thing to keep in mind is that, with advances in knock-off technology and capabilities, "case finds" could be used as a cover to sell "new" bootlegs, further muddying the water. I'm not saying that case finds WILL be hoaxed, but only that they can be, and it's important to keep that in mind.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  6. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    A good buddy of mine found a case of G1 Sunstreakers, pre-rub I think, in Singapore. Very very nice.

7. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    When? Like I said, I don't think I've ever heard the "full story" in a situation like this from a first or even second-hand account. I'd be really interested to hear the hows, wheres, and whys.

8. BigPhill

BigPhill Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
  9. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
  10. BigPhill

BigPhill Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Yea, just read the article and noticed that they were the same ones, and Paul is credited in it.

11. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    From memory it was either late 2010 or early 2011. He'd had a tip-off that there was some boxes at a warehouse he might be interested in, headed off down there, and came back with a sealed case of Sunstreakers. Remember him sending me pics, it was a complete headfuck! I don't remember it being particularly cheap actually, and I know he split it with a friend. He's a dealer so sold a few (just trawled my photobucket and don't have pics of them anymore), think he still has 1 or 2.

12. TheSpacebridge

TheSpacebridge The Spacebridge TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah I've found a few cases over the years. Sometimes I admit I have a case, other times I just sell the odd one or two from the case every year or two

The Action Masters were from a toy shop in South London

I've got cases from all over, even a Spanish TRU in the late 90's

13. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

There was a Japanese dealer in Botcon 2010 that had about 3 cases of Sky Garry and sold them at $100 a piece. Hes begining to creap up in price again. A case of Dai Atlas and Metro Titan was found back in 2001 and BBTS got a hold of them. I bought one Dia Atlas from them for $200, should have bought the Metro Titan as well.

14. LSyd

LSyd Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i've seen 3 on ebay the past year:

1. Hot Rod case
    2. 85 Triple Changers
    3. Diaclone black Ironhides in the UK

in 1988 i found some 85-86 stock still sitting on the shelf while visiting my grandparents in a small town in Illinois; 2x Dirges, some minibots, the Predacons. i was only 8 and managed to convince my mom to get me a Dirge. two months later we went back and i got the last two Predacons (Divebomb and Headstrong). i also got Jetfire that year from Hills in Tennessee.

i remember the 88 cassettes and Hun-grrrr at a KMart in Tennessee until 1990; Sky Linx and Wierdwolf at Kaybee in the mall (overpriced) until 1990; and Galvatron at Hills until 1990. the 87 headmasters and targetmasters also hit Toy Liquidators that year and i got Scourge.

good times. i still have dreams of case finds.

-

15. faustx

faustx ShelfLife Founder

News Credits:
    Just had a guy look me up randomly a few weeks ago and claim he had cases of 80s toys in his basement from his dad's old toy store...heading over in a few days to have a look...

16. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Can you give a full story for one of these cases? How did you find it? What conditions led to them having the case in the first place? Why was it kept so long? Where (and if possible, what was the name of the store) was the store located? What circumstances led to it being unearthed?

Like, we hear the "yeah some store found a case and I bought it" details, but I'm interested in why the case was there in the first place and noone noticed it until now?

Also those action masters rule, btw.

17. Killa-B-Killed

Killa-B-Killed Material Handler

There have been several documented case finds over the last few years.
    Hasbro.....
    Jazz
    Sunstreaker
    Mirage
    1985 release jets
    Optimus Prime
    Wheeljack
    Jumpstarters
    Megatron
    Shockwave
    Blitzwing
    Astrotrain
    Clones - as stated
    And many others.

Takara......
    Sky Garry
    Grandus
    Metrotitan
    Star Saber
    Artfire
    And many others.

It is more common than people think. A decent guideline is to search the AFA population report of high grade examples of Jazz, Mirage, sunstreaker vs. number of high grade examples of Sideswipe, Ironhide, or Trailbreaker.

I have seen pics of cases of Jetfire, Galvatron as well. I have owned a Misb Fort Max that was still in the brown factory shipping box. Sadly, I had to sell it.

18. jonnyshaft

jonnyshaft Well-Known Member

I firsthand purchased some of the jets from the SC case find so I can definitely vouch for that.
    I also have some pictures somewhere of a Shockwave case find. I didnt find the case, but its where my Shock came from. If I can find the pics Ill post em..
    Killas right though look at how many Mirages, Sunstreakers, and Jazz's you see compared to Ratchets or Sideswipes.

19. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Sky Garry that I bought a while back is likely from that recent case find. Ever since I've been interested in case finds, so yeah I'd love to hear some of the details too for any that can share the how's and why's.

20. jonnyshaft

jonnyshaft Well-Known Member

Heres a pic of the case of Shockwaves that was found
    [​IMG]