Ex-smokers! Gimme some advice!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ORIO, Mar 18, 2010.

1. ORIO

ORIO Team Sentinel Prime Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm tired of coughing. Going to pick up an E-cigarette tomorrow. Was thinking of using it in conjunction with nicotine patches. (just not use the nicotine in the e-cig)

What helped you out in quitting?

I did it for a year six years ago. but fell off the wagon. I did it cold turkey then. Not eager to try that again.

2. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    I'm not an ex-smoker. I still smoke, but it's not so much because I need the nicotine. It's more because it's a comfort during stress. I have my eye on those electronic cigarettes, because it's more of the act of smoking that makes me go through a pack a day. I'm curious how this thread plays out. I'm sick of feeling heavy in the chest when I wake up.

3. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

Dude! this was my biggest demon. It has to come down to a firm decision. I quit about six other times b4 this last one but I always included the possibility of failure. I used to say that I cant drink ( alcohol, coffee) anymore, could not go out to eat and stuff, cant play poker or whatever. It was the opposite! I had to face everything I normally do just without cigs. I was a pack and a half a day, i work in construction, believe me, there is nothing easy about this. 5 months later I still want a smoke when some of my triggers present themselves. Its an evryday battle and you just have to commit to change. ARE YOU GONNA JUMP OR NOT kinda deal. Just remember, smoking kills your junk too! I used the patch for 5 weeks and then stopped. If you do this, you will not regret it! No more cig breath! No more having to go out and smoke at family or social events. No more third hand smoke for the kids and family that dont smoke! Gotta do it and not look back! You cant fail yourself!

4. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Does the wife smoke?

5. ORIO

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    She does, but not as much I do. She's one of those types that can just not smoke. So she's quitting with me.

Should be a nice quiet house the next few days. Haha

6. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

I actually got hypnotized. Previous to that, I had tried everything: pills, herbal supplements, the patch, cold turkey (BIG mistake), substituting candy. None of it worked. I had been a smoker for 13 years and was down to 1/2 pack a day but I couldn't kick that last 1/2 pack. If you have a hypnotherapist in your area I would give it a shot. I only paid $50 and haven't smoked in a year and a half. I still get the urge every now and then, but it's not very strong and I've actually developed a pretty strong dislike for the smell of cigarettes now.

7. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    I just ... quit. Haven't bought a pack in over a year. Occasionally, if I'm with a friend or coworker that smokes, I'll bum one, but that's it. It's weird, but I've found that it's the motions involved in smoking that I crave, and not necessarily the stuff contained in the cigarette.

8. Nexus Prime

Nexus Prime Creation is proof.

Keep in mind that you are quiting two things.
    1. The addiction to nicotine.
    2. The habit of smoking.

Prayer worked for me. It was still hard to quit, but I have a feeling it would have been much worse on my own.

9. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just stop. Or keep killing yourself. Whichever.

10. Scorpion

Scorpion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I haven't smoked for almost 10 years but every once in a while I still want a cigarette

11. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    It's been 18 months since I had a cig. My inspiration? My son. There are times a craving will hit. But I shake it off. I can even drink and not smoke anymore.

12. ORIO

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hypnotherapy sounds interesting. I'm just so tired of coughing and hacking.

13. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    Way to black and white an issue. There's a reason millions of people can't 'just stop'. Great post though. Keep them coming.

14. blunghole

blunghole The Tapeworm of Unicron!

News Credits:
  15. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I know a guy who can help you. His name is Vic Donatti...

16. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the kind words but this issue IS black and white. If he/she keeps smoking it WILL kill them. Habits are habitual only because people let them be. You buy the cigarettes. You light it. You put it to your lips. Don't do these actions and you and everyone around you will breathe a little easier.

17. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    This is easily THE most useless advice I have ever seen. And if you honestly think that smoking is just a "habit", you don't know a thing.

18. swampflight

swampflight Banned

Its worth the fight.

I smoked for 14 years and it had a devastating effect on my health,I had breathing problems,I went through constant withdrawl when I didnt smoke,I was underweight for my age,and after a complete pysical I found out I had lost 35% of my lung capacity and would eventually end up on an oxygen tank and in constant pain.I decided it was time to stop and after 4 months of nicoteen patches,learning to deal with problems without running outside to smoke,and a vastly large improvement on my health,I've been smoke-free for 3 1/2 years.I can actually taste my food so I put some meat on my bones and can now ride my bicycle to work so I save money not only on not buying cigarettes but on gas as well.Trust me,its worth the fight to quit.

19. Nexus Prime

Nexus Prime Creation is proof.

Sorry bud, but it's like what I said. There's the habit of smoking, then there's the addiction to nicotine. Once you get addicted it's not that easy to quit. You don't know until it's actually happened to you.

20. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The e-smoke almost got me to quit altogether, but I didn't feel comfortable using it at work.

Either way, it helps you cut down on real ones.

If you aren't a smoker or an ex-smoker, you don't have a clue WTF you're talking about.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010