Evolution of Michael Bay's cinematography

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by red4, Jun 21, 2009.

1. red4

red4 Banned

Just watched Bad Boys 1 today, and hot dang! The lighting and camera movement were docile and very easy on the eye compared to Transformers. Everyone didn't constantly look tan and sweaty, and bathed in searing neon light and dusk didn't come every 2 minutes.

I'm really not sure if this should go in general discussion.

2. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's the evolution of cinema in general really, these days there's tons of movies that are very high contrast with lots of monochromatic lighting. The almost "romantic" look of shooting on film is a rarity now, most films opt for the heavily processed digital sheen instead.

Whether that's bad or good is up to the viewer, I suppose.

3. red4

red4 Banned

I don't understand this classification. This "romantic" way of shooting far more closely resembles the way human eyes perceive light. So to me, that's normal and realistic, not "romantic".

4. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    well, realism in entertainment is a romantic notion in itself. as in romanticism, not ZOMG FLOWERS N SHIT. the tradition in filmmaking is to create a world distinctly seperate from the one we live in, but similar enough that we could apply the situation to our world. i believe the terminology is "disguising something as what it is", fairly sure hitchcock said it, can't confirm without my course notes.

5. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Bad Boys was shot 'realistically', but its not just Bay... almost noone shoots like that anymore. When they do its usually a stylistic, or budget choice. I like film like that, but it wouldn't work with a CGI heavy movie, everything would be too dull and drab.

6. red4

red4 Banned

It worked perfectly for Jurassic park, and Hulk (Ang Lee version).

7. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Jurassic Park was made before Bad Boys, so id say the technology wasn't there yet to shoot that high contrast style with it being cost effective... plus it was intended to be shot creepy and shadowy. And major parts of that movie were anamatronic.

The Hulk was universally panned for cheesy CGI, so that one fails as well. I thought it was a decent flick but its style failed to please many. The hulk did look a tad too cartoony in it as well.

Even if you count those, they're just the exception to the rule.

8. red4

red4 Banned

9. TigerClaw

TigerClaw Autobot

News Credits:
    Cinema is evolving with the advent of film being shot digitally in HD.

When shooting on regular film, They would have to digitally scan the entire film on the computer in order to put in the FX, Nowadays, You shoot it digitally and there's no need of any scanning, It already be transfered to the computer.

10. JDF

JDF Well-Known Member

Except neither TF1 nor TF2 were shot digitally. Both were shot on 35mm with some scenes for TF2 being shot on 70mm.

11. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Jurassic Park still holds up. The CG is still on a par with anything you see'd see today. The only difference is nowadays all restraint has gone out the window.

It's not a case that the technology wasn't there before. The high contrast look has been achieved with the 'bleach-bypass' process for decades. Spielberg could've done it for Jurassic Park if he'd really wanted. I don't think it would've made it a better film. The reason it's so common now is that it used to be something you had to put some thought into, where now if it comes out a bit wrong it can be tweaked endlessly.

It should be a stylistic thing. IMO it just gets used all the time for no real reason nowadays. It's become a gimmick, and I suspect it may be a bit of a fad. Like how seventies movies always had those zoom in shots.

12. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits: