Evolution of a TF collector

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Necare, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Necare

Necare Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have loved TFs ever since the first G1 cartoon took to the airwaves and we saw the ark sit for 4 million years at the base of Mt St Helens.

I had one or two figures at the time but was obsessed with the lore and longed for more figures, so much so that I labored with space legos to build transformable lego robots 26 years before Kre-O was released, albeit to a MUCH less pretty scale.

A little before the release of TF live action movie, my iinterest piqued again and I began finding great transformers with sleek lines and better engineering and more articulation....it was great. The Alternators, A-E-C lines, movie lines, amd of course the classics/universal lines were all tempting me. I watched as many reviewers as possible to get a sense of the figures and eventually found individuals transforming figures almost peaceful and relaxing to watch.

At first, I told myself only to get one of any character, then to get only certain lines, or to collect multiple figures for the same character. After seeing beast Wars, which at first I did not understand the fan backing but now get it, and think the show was fantastic, I spread to that line and animated.

Then the second live action movie was released. While I loved the leader OP from ROTF, my interest in the movie line waned but still sought fogures from the lines and now exploding third party figures that were filling the much needed gaps that fans demanded (from City Commander Armor to Battle Rollar).

But even before the third action movie was released, I seemed to have exhausted not only my wallet, but my interest in continuously seeking figures. i was running out of storing/display space,a nd especially as I keep the original packaging, the space was real limiting. I had purchased all that I had wanted from about 9 different lines and although there were the few figures here or there I pretty much stopped purchasing TF figures altogether. I stopped hitting the forums for updates and news...no longer watched youtube TF reviewers and began making plans to sell my collection.

Currently, I am at a place where I'll be selling off whole lines and keeping only the figures I really want, the more expensive and/or classic figures. But the third party companies still get me! Most recently Hercules. Being so expensive I really agonized over even starting this again.

Now I find myself in a good place which seems right and balanced. I am still selling figures to get to a more manageable level of figures, but also keeping loose tabs on some of the figures to be released. Enjoying TFs Prime show for what it is and although I think the figures are great, it's something I can pass on easily, whereas a few years back, I'd be hunting around everywhere, spending more on gas and time online to find a 10 toy than the plastic value warrants.

So I am curious about the community and where you stand as a collector. i'd love to hear your evolution as a collector or at least how you view yourself in terms of colecting and interest in TF as a whole.

2. Zendai

Zendai Minicon Addict

Well I started off by collecting random figs but it slowly evolved into only getting what I feel is the best mold for the character. Those ones go on a special stand in the middle of my room. The rest go on the other shelves.

3. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I started with Micron Legend (Armada) so for a couple of years buying TFs was very exciting with lots of interesting TFs to buy from older series such as RiD/Car Robot and Beast Wars Neo.

Looking back now, I think I peaked at Cybertron/Galaxy Force and the Classics. I bought everything I could get my hands on, I was crazy about Cybertron Legends. Animated toys were awesome but I started late and knew which ones are good ones to buy.

These days I buy much less thanks to the movie series - not that I don't like them, I enjoyed them a lot, but after 3 movie I feel a bit burnt out. I spend way too much per figure instead.

Currently waiting to see what happens with TFPrime.

It's a short story, but I am a newb after all :p 

4. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    started with alts and mp prime, bought a couple cybertron scouts and rid car brothers, hated them, gave them away. (later found i like cybertron, just not the lugnutz scout) finally started picking up classics when they were being taken off the shelves, luckily got them all, and kept up with them. animated hooked me as soon as the pilot aired on new years here, got bored of movie figures after the first movie, got very few of them since,

been slowly building my g1 collection, it helps i'm not looking for specific figures, i want them all in the end, so if a good deal comes along, i'll grab it

5. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    for mew its a series of stages:

1. Kid era : Like any kid i asked for/bought what i thought was cool.

2. teenage era: bit more serious collecting , this came to end when the best part my collection got stolen .

3. Beast revival: Beast Wars brought me back in to collecting and kept me their through the Unicron trilogy, did not collect that hard core at this time due to competing interests. This ended when I moved to Wisconsin to live with my GF and my mom gave away all my figures XD Thanks mom.:( 

4. second revival aka the Movie era: i started collecting again, and now more seriously that I had ever done so before. Got back in with the tail end of the 2007 movie lines/classics/Universe etc. this ended wheni dropped the movie lines from my collection.

5. Current: I am focused on earlier lines from G1 to Animated.

6. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Been a fan since the beginning though I stopped collecting at 16 as I felt too old and the UK comic stopped.

Got back a decade later with Dreamwave and the G1 reissues. Went through a phase of picking up everything I saw though thankfully that didn't last.

Can't believe it's been 9 years since I got back but the last few years I've bought a lot less than I used to.

I despise Legends unless it's a character like Ravage whose supposed to be small. I hate the deluxe size on the cars as I feel they look silly next to the jets and don't fit in with my preferred Diaclones and scout cars.

Regrettably it seems to be primarily deluxe cars and legends that we continue to get. The good thing is that I'm saving money.

I like Prime, Animated and Movies 1 and 3 but would love to see a return to the traditional Tf look as opposed to all these stylised series we've been getting.

I miss my childhood days of getting a well written Tf comic every week in my local shop. These days, it's a trip to Dublin every few months for the trade. I was collecting the modern UK comics based on the Movie line but they just haven't pulled me in like the old days.

Re-reading this post, I'm realising I'm not particularly happy with modern Transformers toys and media.

7. robodog

robodog Fur, Fangs and Steel

My history is really really bizarre. I didn't really become a Transformers fan in the 80s. I watched the show and had a few of the toys, but I was more interested in other things. Mostly stupid things that no longer spark any nostalgia for me.
    Believe it or not my interest in Transformers and other robots started with Furby. I bought one of the things in 99 and became fascinated with the technology behind them. An interest in robots grew from there and from there an interest in robots in popular culture grew. It was then I rediscovered Transformers. This was during the RID and Armada periods. I started buying up Transformers toys as part of a larger collection involving anything robot related. From there I started buying a few G1 toys. Optimus Prime, Soundwave, Blaster, Kup, Rodimus Prime and Inferno are the ones I remember best.
    Unfortunately there came a time when I thought I lost interest in this stuff and sold off everything. This was a huge mistake as my interest in robot stuff wasn't as dead as I thought. It lingered in the back of my mind for several years and recently I began to miss it all very badly.
    So here I am starting from scratch again. I not only wish to rebuild my Transformers collection but my collection of robot pets and other random robot toys as well. I'm going to have to slowly claw my way back to where I once was. It will be harder this time around because I don't have near the amount of money to spend on toys as I used to.

8. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Loved it as a G1 kid but got very few toys.
    Teen years to 20, remembered TF as show I loved as a kid but thats about it.
    early 20 - BW came out I fell in love with the show and started collecting.
    BW - ROTF/Animated Collected every on screen character from all movies and American released series. (BW/BM/RID/A/E/C/Movie 1/Movie 2/Alts/Classics/MPs)

Present - The AEC and Movies burnt me out as a gettem all collector. For the first time ever I did not buy a line, I skipped out on the 3rd movie line. This era is also occuring during the 3rd party era and I got into 3rd party in a big way.

I am currently going to sell off parts of my collection for the first time and am thinking of sticking strictly to the follow collecting guide line "American PRODUCED Animated series AND G1 influenced lines.) I am ready to get rid of all my Movie 1 and 2 figures plus my real gear and 6" tites line. After that I think if the experience goes well I will seriously consider selling off my AEC and RID line and focus heavily on G1, Prime and 3rd party G1 related figures (almost everything 3rd party)

So after 16 years of being a diehard I am finally ready to send parts of my collection to be loved by others and really tighten my actually collection and display.

9. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    You know, I see a certain pattern to everyone's collecting. There do seem to be phases.

Phase 1: Nostalgia brings you in and you want to buy every TF available. You buy as much as you can afford, and lament the fact you can't afford the rest.

Phase 2: You start to see your collection getting too large, and your finances taking too big of a hit. You reevaluate your collecting at all, thinking it may be best to get out completely. This is when you start selling your collection.

Phase 3: Most of your collection is gone, and you no longer feel overwhelmed. You start thinking it's not so bad to collect, but just keep in under control and impose restrictions on your own collection. These vary from collector to collector. Now you maintain a reasonable collection being pickier about what you buy and/or constantly rotating figures. Selling older stuff to buy newer stuff.

Phase 4: Maybe repeat. Some people maintain phase 3, while others go back to phase 1 when they don't put tight enough restrictions on themselves. Eventually, everyone gets to phase 3 and maintains it. Sometimes it takes more than one trip through the phases to do it.

I think any of us that have been around a while can see how we've gone through these phases. Some of us can see ourselves in one of these phases now. I've been through the phases twice now, finally settling on phase 3 for what I hope is the last time. I see a lot of other collectors posting threads like this where I can see them transitioning from either into or out of phase 2.

10. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I've always been a fan of TFs as I grew up watching G1 and reruns (born in '83). I just never got into collecting the toys as I was much more into Marvel, then DC Comics.

Then, simply put, I went broke and stopped buying comics, my desire to draw comics as a career vanished, and once I got back on my feet Classics then Universe were there. And I got onboard.

11. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Back when I first started back with Beast Wars, I mainly went for all. When the Beast Era ended, I cut way back. I went from "got to get them all" to "skip, skip, buy, skip."

Besides going nuts for Animated, I've only been going for what I really like for now nearly ten years. Most of the buys oddly have been of figures that didn't appear on a show, like DOTM Skyhammer, ROTF Skystalker, Cybertron Hardtop, ect.

The only time I break that rule is with Transformers with beast modes. I don't care if the figure sucks, I'll buy it.

12. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    I've been through a few stages myself.

I bought a few BW & RiD figures brand-new back in the day but I never "really" got into them. & then there was that fateful day in late 2006 when I discovered Classics 1.0. I was instantly hooked & after completing my Classics-verse collection, I then tracked down all the G1, BW & Late Japanese G1 dvd boxsets. I've since completed my G1 collection (including a heap of Masterforce, Victory & Zone figures), my BW collection (including BW II & Neo), my Alternator/Binaltech/Alternity collection, my MP collection, my WST collection is coming along & I'm now collecting specific Diaclone/Microman/Microchange figures.

I tell you what - Collecting TFs is one bloody expensive hobby! :lol 

13. hardreturn

hardreturn Ian Reid

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    i've always tried to get only the figures i wanted. right now i'm in a pretty good spot. not a huge collection and only grabbing the things that interest me. never been a completionist which helps a lot.

14. beanman

beanman Not a Decepticon

News Credits:
    Well, it's been a long trip back to collecting for me. Like many, I started back in the 80's as a little kid. While I played with a bunch of different toys, I always had an affinity for Transformers. After the cartoon went off the air (including reruns), I got big into sports (collecting sports cards), and really didn't keep track of Transformers at all.

Fast forward to Christmas 2000 or 2001, and my older brother tracked down Transformers: The Movie on DVD, and we sat down and watched it on Christmas day. It brought back a lot of fond memories. I immediately went out and bought it. While I watched it several more times over the next several years, I never went any further...until I started tracking down the Rhino Cartoon box sets in 2003-2004 while I was in Graduate School (thanks ebay!). Didn't have a whole lot of money being in school, so again things died down as related to Transformers.

When the live action movies game out, I fully supported them (and still do - I take them for what they are). At the release of the second movie, I bought several Nike X Transformers Sneakers (I couldn't pass up two of my favorite things - transformers and basketball sneakers - being combined!). The cool part about those sneakers were the G1 retro style boxes. It really got me thinking about the toys again. Subsequently, I ordered a couple of boxed G1 figures from ebay (hot rod and slag - both figures I had as a kid) and tracked down what was left of my figures from childhood (just a few survived). Also, a random stop at Toys R' Us to pick up a gift for my nieces birthday netted the perceptor and insecticon reissues.

From there, I completed the entire US reissue collection and got big in the Masterpiece line too. However, because all of the characters I had as a kid were not reisssued, I started down the vintage G1 road. First, I was collecting only the figures, but then I started to be just as interested in the vintage boxes. Anyway, long story short, I've sold most of my reissues and masterpieces, and now focus solely on G1 with boxes. So I've definitely narrowed down my collecting habit as time has progressed (although I'll still buy the random toy that interest me, like Amazon Unicron), and am trying to focus on vintage G1 as there is just not enough room, money, or time to focus on other series...

15. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    huge fan in the 80's bought alot of the toys with allowance and paper route money as a kid. got a fulltime job around the time G2 hit the shelf, spoiled myself by buying the entire line. Beast Wars hit the shelves around the time my first son was 4 (hes 20 now) he was into them too. (he lost interest during armada) as for me i didnt miss a single bot i had every single american and japanese release from G2 to Cybertron. THEN!!! I met the woman who is now my wife, well actually i RE-met her we grew up together and lost contact over the years. anyway needless to say we got married have a kid (my second her first) and ive sold off everything from every line i owned leaving me with Beast Wars/Machines show character, my animated collection, my classics and MP's, once i get club exclusives runamuk and runabout im going to wrap up my collecting, my heart isnt in it anymore im just buying to buy at this point.

16. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    I've always been a fan. Been there since day 1 also. Really hot going again with Beast Wars. New Transformers with cool toys and awesome G1 references in a masterpiece of a show got me hooked. Over the years I picked up a lot of figures from various lines. I have been selling a lot of those figures and plan on selling more. I'm at a point where I just want quality. Quality over quantity. I'm just focusing on stuff I really like. Too bad that stuff is really expensive :(  lol

17. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    I went from collecting some, to becoming a completionist. (uggh...)
    Once i realized i had flown past the 1000 figure mark without noticing, I began to shrink my collection. I'm at about 1200 figs now, and I'd really like to cut that down to 300 or so.

18. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    I don't remember it, but I got a light green transformer at the age of 2-3 which I believe may have been a constructicon knockoff, my sister then broke it.

And bay-verse got into transformers in general, but Animated had the best memories and toys all around.

Now I will try to collect as many TFP toys as possible!

19. fiyaconvoy

fiyaconvoy Banned

Ebay:
    Car Robots sucked me in, and after completing my first international purchase for Fire Convoy and the Three Car Brothers loose. I decided to get Fire Convoy sealed and then the hunt for sealed items began with my first eBay purchase was Lio Convoy (one of the Hasbro stickered stock)

Locally I was picking up clearance Beast Wars and Machines thanks to one of the chains having a clearance sale, and then RID when it hit. With the RID line having so many imports and finding selected Car Robots toys proving to be difficult, I was using my contacts from this forum and others to slowly bring in what I could, along with also importing Japanese Reissues.

By the time Armada came out I was collecting everything I could get my hands on - anything I could get locally, USA exclusives via contacts, things that were available locally if they were cheaper from anpother country along with Japanese reissues (though I couldn't afford e-Hobby reissues) and the odd other line item.

With Armada I collected the Hasbro versions only, even though I knew the Japanese ones were better, then thanks to BBTS sale on the Japanese versions I started collecting them as well so, by 2003 I was collecting both American and Japanese mainline releases, Japanese Reissues as well as selected older items.

Mid way through Energon I had my first 'I can't continue as I am going' issue -- I couldn't afford USA version Optimus Prime, Megatron or Omega Supreme, so at that point I decided to cut out the American side of collecting - that is, if Japan released it then I get the Japanese one (import pricing was about the same as local cost), but if it was an American Exclusive then also get it (example, Slugslinger)

By 2005, I had started with Masterpeice, Binaltech and Alternators, was collecting Galaxy Force, Micron Legend and Super Link as well as Reissues and focusing some of my purchasing power on tracking down American G2 sealed, along with European G1.5. The G1.5 and G2 was a slow project only gathering support when I had made some extra income.

During the whole time I was also collecting comics and other assorted items (such as PVCs). With the release of Classics in 2006, I looked back at some of the items I had collected over the years and turned my attention on actually selling off some of the items I had collected over the years - American Armada and Energon were the first on the chopping block.

With the release of the 2007 Movie, I decided that with space at an all time low I wouldn't bother keeping the movie toys sealed -- I opened then and didn't bother getting a second one for the sealed collection. This continued with Animated in 2008, but Universe 2.0 and Henkei was still a sealed collection along with many to be opened.

In 2009 I had a massive organisation of the collection.
    With that I streamlined my collection into G1, Euro G1.5, G2, Binaltech, Alternators, Reissues, Classics, Universe 2.0 and Henkei with a few selected items from series past being kept. Everything else got tossed into the for sale pile, and too this day I am still trying to sell the end result of years of the best items going first.

As of 2011, my sealed collection consists of selected G1, G1.5 and G2 items, Binaltech, Alternators, Alternity, CHUG as well as random assorted goodness from all the other lines, along with loose toys from the above lines, along with Movie 1/2/3, PCC and Animated.

Due to my prolonged unemployment at the current point, I am looking at the collection almost every day wondering what part I could actually get rid of in order to live ..

20. mweeuser

mweeuser Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was hooked at the beginning. Watching the gen 1 cartoon and those damn catalogs, starring at those damn catalogs. For my 8th birthday in Nov 1985 I got starscream, my first, followed by prime at xmas. I was hooked. It was my primary interest all throughout, got a couple every year for a few years. Never had enough of course, metroplex was the biggest and most expensive I had.

Then when I started college and was/am a computer geek anyway, I was searching around the interlink and found an aol site, digitial toys. I was shocked that someone was selling original transformers, lots of the ones I had aways wanted. So for about a year I bought, mostly from them but not entirely. I ended with aboug half of the 1984 crew and a few 1985. That was in about 1995.

Then about 4 or 5 years later I went on another spree and end on all of 84/85 except about 4 regular and all the mail order stuff still not present.

Then about 2006 I got married, decided to pick on hobby and focus. I had too many and decided transformers was my oldest and the easiest to leave for a while and just wouldn't have to take up a ton of time just to enjoy it (money of course is whole other issue!). So I've been pretty into it since, all the master pieces I want, completed out 84, 85 plus a ton of variants (super charged optimus, cut winged t-cracker, matsushiro jetfire, etc) and my start at diaclone and other pre-transformer stuff.