Evolution of a Product: Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by power3921, Mar 16, 2010.

1. power3921

power3921 Well-Known Member

Two weeeks ago in science class we were assaigned to make a poster showing the evolutuion of a product, such as Coke or TV. I chose Transformers. I thought the people here might want to see it.

Timeline

5/8/1984: The comic's first issue is released
    9/17/1984: Cartoon premiers with a three-part episode
    7/8/1986: Taking place in 2005. The Transformers movie premiers, featuring the death of most characters, even the Autobot leader Optimus Prime!
    11/11/1987: The final episode of the cartoon premiers, Part three of a three part series.
    5/1991: Final issue of comic released
    1993: G2 toy line starts.
    10/1993: G2 comic first issue released.
    6/16/1994: The first Botcon starts in Fort Wayne, Indiana
    8/1994: Final issue of G2 comic released
    5/19/1996: First episode of Beast Wars shown
    5/7/1999: Last episode of Beast Wars shown
    9/18/1999: First episode of Beast Machines shown
    5/3/2000: Final episode of Beast Machines shown, to thousands of fans happiness.
    9/8/2001: First episode of R.I.D. shown. It is the first dubbed Japanese show to be shown in America
    3/23/2002: Final R.I.D. episode shown.
    1/10/2003: First episode of Armada premiers
    12/12/2003: Final episode of Armada premiers
    1/31/04: First episode of Energon premiers to enthusiastic fans. Just wait. It gets worse.
    3/19/2005: Thank goodness. Energon finally ends.
    9/19/2005: the first episode of Cybertron premiere. Part three of the worst transformers era ever.
    10/2/2006: The last episode of Cyberton premiers, allowing us to pretend AEC was just a bad dream.
    7/3/2007: 21 years after the original movie, Transformers finally has a new movie.
    12/26/2007: Transformers animated premiers with a three part special. Although the animation style is controversial, it will quickly become one of he most popular series ever.
    4/23/2009: Animated ends. It is time for a moment of silence.
    6/24/2009: Transformer Revenge of the Fallen premiers in the US. Although the rude humor is disliked, the special affects and CGI have to be admired.
    6/4/2010: Botcon 2010 starts in Lake Buena Vista, Florida
    ? /? /2010 0r 11: Transformers Prime, the next cartoon premiers.
    7/1/2011: Transformers 3 (Title unknown) is released.

Explanation and how it's used

Transformers are a popular Sci-fi series of toys, cartoons and movies. If not for the one unique thing about them they may have just been another 80's cartoon. They transformed. Every figure could change from a robot to a vehicle, like a tank or a truck. Some even changed into dinosaurs! Over the years the toys would change, becoming more poseable and gaining new features like transforming weapons and heads. Some even became cities or planets! The transformers can change to match the interest of kids of any era, still keeping to the same general characters, but in all kinds of forms. Simply put, it's survived for one crucial reason. What boy doesn’t like giant transforming cars and dinos?

Traits

The most important trait is TRANSFORMING. Like TRANSFORMERS. It's where the name comes from. The toys ability to change is what's kept it popular and not just another action figure. Another Trait is a cartoon. Although commercials advertise the toys, sometimes they need a bit more. Hasbro's solution to that, a cartoon! Lasting three seasons, the shows popularity was enough for Hasbro to create a movie and many more shows after that. Mostly story but a little commercial, a cartoon is one of Transformers best-known traits!

Adaptations

Both in fiction and in reality, The Transformers have made many adaptations to stay a popular toy. One of the first adaptations made were called Headmasters. The Transformers met a race of humanoid aliens called Nebulons and in order to gain more power and help the Nebulons over throw the group of evil Nebulons known as The Hive, the Autobots removed there heads and allowed them to be piloted be the Nebulons, now called Headmasters! Other adaptations were made in real life, not fiction. In order to both draw back fans of the show that were now becoming teens and to old for toys, Hasbro released a movie. Much darker than the show, many characters died. Optimus finally defeated Megatron in a battle leading to both of there deaths. A new leader named Rodimus Prime rose just in time to save all the Transformers from an ancient evil known as Unicron! Another adaptation was made fairly recently. Poseability! The early figures could barely move their limbs, and none had knees. Figures started gaining poseability in the early 90' s, and lost in again in 2001. It's only recently that all figures can move in almost any way. Some even have articulated figures! Although transforming is fun, its nice, it even better to lay with something that's not a brick!

Please tell me any mistakes i made or positive comments!

2. SpencimusPrime

SpencimusPrime _

News Credits:
    This is perhaps one of the most interesting things I've read all day. I hope you get an A+ on your assignment!

3. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    Very well written! Thanks for sharing. :) 

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    That's a harsh and unrealistic generalization. I doubt thousands of fans even disliked the show (thousands is a lot of people) while lots of people did like the show. Most of these little jabs seem uncalled for, true or not.

Also, I would've included more info on the actual products, if this is an "evolution of a product". Like the change over from die-cast to plastic, G2 introducing the first wide-scale use of ball joints, the first wholey-organic style beast transformer, etc. The toys are what Transformers is all about, afterall, and you kinda glossed right over them.

I think you got those mixed up. :lol 

5. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

Tf rebirth series and comic book too

6. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

Wow, this is quite impressive. I've used Transformers in my assignments quite a few times as well *cough*TF Tribune*cough*. I hope this goes over well, because it looks like you put alot of work into it!

7. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:

I get you're trying to inject some flavor to your report, but I agree with Split Lip that the snarkiness would need to be excised from your draft. Consider whether the non- or even casual fans in your class would care why you consider the Unicron trilogy to be bad.

I also agree with Split Lip on the need for more details on the toys' evolution. You can also touch on how Transformers has expanded from mainly toys to a brand for all sorts of products (clothes, bedsheets, school supplies, etc.)

8. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I definitely agree. Keep the timeline factual, and expand on specific details pertinent to each line.

9. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You also forgot the Takara side of things. I'd like you to explain Kiss Play to your class and do a uTube on it. :D 

10. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

I see very little in your timeline about the toys. You've done a passable job chronicling the marketing devices for the product, but you've given no details on the product itself, which was kind of the point.

I'll also echo the sentiments of others about taking the snark out of it. Your teacher isn't going to give a fat rat's ass about all that. Being a smartass isn't going to make him take you or your assignment more seriously. Also, that's the kind of shit that will trigger everyone's nerd-o-meter, so you really might as well make a presentation on why you're going to be a virgin when you're 30. Just sayin'.

11. power3921

I apoligise for upseting anyone. I was trying to show how the magority of fans felt and use the type of humor my science teacher lokes. Thanks to everyone for all the compliments and cunstructive critisem.

12. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

I'd also put in something about the video games since the video game market itself is expanding. We've had more games in the past 5 years than in the 15 years before that.

I agree with what people said about the side comments.

Any reason you exluded the G2 cartoon rehash? You included it in your toy analysis, but seeing as how both the toy line and cartoon were rehashes of the original line, I think the cartoon should warrant inclusion as well.

Perhaps in your adaptations section you can reference the various target audiences. For example, the brand has always been aimed at kids but mention the more mature story lines in Beast Wars/Machines and Animated. Show that the toys themselves have various lines/target groups-- Masterpiece and Leader toys are in a category separate from Gravity Bots, etc.

Lastly, mention of more modern day DW and IDW comics? Novels?

You're off to a great start, and it seems you're really putting in the hard work. And I think you came to the right place for suggestions, comments, and praise. All the best!

13. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Personally I like Beast Machines more than : Animated, Armada, RID, & Energon... I'm not bothered by it as a TV show - I think they made a bit of pigs ear out of some of the toys in terms of color choices and scale though.

You might want to mention the Novels and the videogames too.

Depending on how long a thing you want to write - personally I'd also consider mentioning cross-promotion via things like Pepsi & Mc Donalds, crossover concepts in toy and comics like Gi Joe/ Transformers, Transformers/Avengers & Transformers/Marvel, Star Wars Transformers,Animorphs, and it's links to Microman both historically and more recently with Ganamede, & Kicker & Transformers toys used as Microman toys like Actionmaster Armored Convoy & The Micromaster Rocket base.

And also Transformers links to Playskool (twice) and the Tonka brands.

I'd also mention that one of the major differences Transformers have is that they are neither created by or driven by Humans - but are a mechanical sentient alien species rather than more traditional 'robots'.

UM3786 Is right to mention age ranges - that is a good point Armada was the way it was as it was aimed slightly younger and made to be more kid durable. and in recent years more Transformers products have started to be made with the adult in mind as well as the Kids.

But if your worried about what 'normal people' think of you then enthesis the movies and deethesis the toys.

14. power3921

It already was getting a bit long, espiacaly the timeline, so i had to leave out alot of things everyone has said. Again, thank you everyone for all the kind comments and the constructive critisism. Although i already turned it in if i have a chanche to use transformers in a project again i will remember all these things.

15. llfalcon

llfalcon Well-Known Member

How are you presenting this? I think it would best be presented in the form of a timeline, showing the start and end of all events with some of them over lapping. Toy lines are probably the most important item, seeing as it is the product. Dreamwave and IDW deserves a mention as well as specifying the Marvel comic. And if possible, indicate the start up of TFW2005 if you can find out when.

16. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd include more about the actual products - e.g. the toys. There are many TF toylines that represented SIGNIFICANT stages in the TF evolution that never had an accompanying cartoon e.g. Alternators, Masterpiece etc.

Oh, and echoing everyone else, lose the snarkiness over Arm/Eng/Cyb. They have their fans.

17. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

What about mentions of Diaclone and Microchange toys at the begining? Or how we wouldn't have Transformers without G.I. Joe? These are important things to take into account when giving a history of Transformers.

18. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Very well done! I noticed you mentioned the G2 toy line, but did not mention the G1 toy line. You should also mention that the G1 toy line originated from the Diaclone series and how the characters were originally piloted machines and were re-written to be sentient beings. You might want to introduce a character or two in there such as Jetfire and how he was a spin-off from the Macross series.
    Other than that, I liked it! :D 

19. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    As others said, snarky remarks and opinion based responses to events of the franchise need to be dropped. Further, clarification is necessarily in some instances (ie Animated became very popular with fans, but the movie in 07 STILL was a bigger mainstream success)

Also, Transformers Armada priemiered in August of 2002 with a 3 part airing. In aired off and on in 10-20 episode runs through your specified end date.

In your cartoon mention, it should be specified that Transformers got a cartoon due to the success of similar franchises like Masters of the Universe and GI Joe in using them as an advertising vehicle, and that until a change in broadcast laws in the early 80s, such a thing would have been impossible just 5 years before TFs were introduced.

20. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I think you could mention a few things on the toy line, for example:

1986 - Toy line moves away from realistic vehicles, into more futuristic / science fiction designs.
    1995 - First fully poseable toys with ball joints released.
    2000 - Transformers Car Robots released in Japan, returning to realistic detailed vehicle modes combined with extremely high levels of poseability.
    2002-3 - Armada toy line released. Series shifts toward line-wide gimmicks, and returns to high-tech futuristic vehicle designs.
    2006 - Classics series of toys is released, marking the first full line of toys updating the classic characters with modern technology.
    June 2007 - Movie toy line is released, introducing a new level of detail and realism into the designs that proved to be extremely popular among consumers.

Things like that. You've got the main events covered fairly well, but there's a whole story that can be told about the way the toy line itself has evolved. I hope these pointers are helpful.