Evolution from Autobots to Maximals

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Darth Megatron, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Darth Megatron

Darth Megatron Don't tell Lucas!

Does anybody have some idea on how the Autobots and Decepticon turned in to Maximals and Predicons?

Has there been any work done on it in the continuity and/or good fan fiction to support it.

My idea would be that the animal Autobots and Decepticons lead by Grimlock and Ravage left the factions because they were seen as outcasts. They went on to form there own group of transformers that evolved into what was the characters in the BW era. The large clunky bots of G 1 could not keep up with the new fast breed of transformer and ultimately became obsolete. The first pred leader could have been Scopinok as he would have been the most powerful of the Beasts. Grimlok would be the leader of the Maxiamls, and could go on from there.

Something to think about…

2. peteynorth

peteynorth TFW2005 Supporter

I don't think anything official has been put out concerning this. As far as fan fiction, Dave Van Dolein has his 'Tales of the Intermezzo' which consists of several stories that basically covers the period between the end of G1 and the beginning of BW.

3. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The closest to anything offical would be the Universe comics done by 3H. In them, The Autobots downsize themselves after winning the last war with the Decepticons. They shrunk down but Maximized their power and fuel comsumption hence the name Maximals.

The Decepticons were defeated and no more. Those who were pardoned used the Maximal process and called themselves Predacons.

The rest of the story was only hinted at durring the Beast Wars/Beast Machine series.

4. Pidgeot018

Pidgeot018 Pokécon

What I want to know is what kind of alternate modes did Maximals and Predacons have on Cybertron. Obviously not Earth animals, but some sort of vehicle? If that was the case, why not keep calling themselves Autobots? They could have been vehicle forms with animal-like featues-heads, and arms and what not (Vehicons)-or mechanical alien forms like the old Monster Pretenders. I hope the Beast Wars comics go delves into this a bit.

5. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    What I want to know is if Predacons were really a discriminate faction and why. :(  Damn MAximals and Autobots.

6. Phoenix Prime

Phoenix Prime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    My take on it starts all the way back in the Transformers Marvel Comic where the Micromasters chose to downsize themselves to save on fuel consumption. This was reinforced by the 3H comic having the Autobots and Decepticons downsize into Maximals and Predacons. As far as alternate modes, that might have been as varied as before. In the Marvel Comic, the Micromasters still have vehicular modes, in 3H, Hot Rod still retained the same body only smaller.

The Maximals and Predacons might have just had vehicle modes, and only became animals for the Beast Wars because of the Energon Fields. G1 was already showing signs of adding organic material to their bodies (I.E. Headmaster Fangry and the Pretenders) so it isn't too far off that the technology was there for Beast Wars, but that didn't mean it had to be used until the start of the Beast Wars.

Also note, in Beast Machines, Nightscream made mention of not having a Bat-Mode before BM Megatron took over the planet, he just scanned the remains of a Bat deep within Cybertron's core. They never said what his alternate mode was before, but they made sure we knew it wasn't a Bat. And Rattrap makes mention in episode one of Beast Machines, when he, Primal, Cheetor and Black Aracnia are being chased by Vehicons, that "our own kind don't even reconize us," talking about their Beast Modes they were stuck in, hinting that Maximals and Predacons didn't carry organic forms on Cybertron.

In the new Beast Wars comic series, the only character that seems to have a Cybertorian Beast Mode is "Lio Convoy." You can see a robotic lion head on his shoulder. Everyone else has vehicle modes until they get to Earth. Magmatron is a tank, jet and a sub on Cybertron, then adopts his more reconized Landsaur, Skysaur and Seasaur modes (can someone find out what kinda dinosaurs they are supposed to be)

So that is as much as I have been able to piece together about the evolution from Autobots to Maximals. They downsized to conserve energy. Case closed. The later Beast Modes were just advanced technology mix with need.

7. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    How did they get so small? In the 3rd season of Beast Wars you can see the obvious size difference between the maximals and predacons compared to the autobots and decepticons.

8. Darth Megatron

Darth Megatron Don't tell Lucas!

I figured the names are just indicative of Animal based forms, Maximal – Mammal and most of the Maximal were mammals and likewise for the Preds- they were predators.
    That being said it was a name the Hasbro made up, without thinking about future ramifications.

Also, the bots also gave themselves new names after getting their bodies, as Cheetor or Rinox and that name would make little sense if they were some sort of vehicle.

9. Phoenix Prime

Ebay:
    the Micromasters were roughly the size of humans to begin with, most alien lifeforms they encountered are human sized. Figure Rattrap is roughly the same height as an average adult male, Dinobot is taller then Shaq. My thinking is they choice to downsize to that size so they would be on equal footing as most alien lifeforms they encountered. They were at a time of Peace when this happened, it was the Autobots idea, so small, non aggressive sizes make sense.

10. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'd just rather believe that Autobots & Decepticons aren't related to Maximals/Preds. Just that the latter came from a different part of Cybertron and became dominant after the Great War. I cannot accept that to become a beast is "evolution" in any sense of the word. Maybe that's a bit humanoid-centric, but anyway, it's a belief. :D 

11. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    <i>"I'd just rather believe that Autobots & Decepticons aren't related to Maximals/Preds. Just that the latter came from a different part of Cybertron and became dominant after the Great War. I cannot accept that to become a beast is "evolution" in any sense of the word. Maybe that's a bit humanoid-centric, but anyway, it's a belief. "</i>

What is the difference they transform to disguise themselves when there are no cars because they are on primitive they have to transform into animals. Also the beast mode protected them from energon build-up

12. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Besides, the only reason the Autobots and Decepticons had vehicular alt. modes was because Teletraan mistakenly believed that the vehicles were the dominant lifeform on Earth, since the Cybertronians were machines. If it had gotten it right, the TFs would have been robotic animals, or people.

Storywise, BW properly advances that technology, and allows the TFs to assume realistic animal modes.

13. LEADERS_MATRIX

LEADERS_MATRIX Wisdom of the ages...

My thoughts exsactly, the whole giving them selves new names was the cheeseiest thing that ever happened on the show, the name could have worked without that, but if they had not done that we would be baging about that now. :lol 

14. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

If I'm not much mistaken, he's an allosaur, a pterosaur, and a plesiosaur. Not sure on the exact species though.

15. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

"Seasaur".....I just had a horrible image of what would have happened if TT1 had figured playground equipment as the dominant form of life on Earth.

16. Raven Zombie

Raven Zombie Liege Ravnos Muerte

what if the Beasties are Minicons... even though minicons didnt have much of an origin... or were they Spawns of unicron?
    the minicons fled from cybertron, millions of years ago upon crashing into prehistoric earth, they had to toss out all Pods
    most of the main crew were consious, upon impact. and scanned for alt modes... no vehicles are availible, so they got beast altmodes... the beast wars happen, and those minis return to cybertron... most of the pods were left behind.

fast forward to the present... some kids find um, the other ship? and set off something that wakes up a few pods... now they can scan vehicle modes...

this also gives a reason as to why BW Megs wants to take over cybertron... because his kind, the minicons were used as wepons in his past.

also explains the 'Spawn of unicron' reference

and the fact of the 2 BW ships is... the maximal ship was the exporation ship, that most of the Minicons escaped in... the Preds ship is then piloted by the Decepticon Minis, to go after them... the whole story of megatron wanting the disc, is then a plan he had all along

17. Phoenix Prime

Ebay:
    it is an interesting way to connect Armada to G1/BW/BM, but the idea doesn't fit with all the background story we alrady have, not to mention, I am a big fan of thinking Armada/Energon is a seperate universe from anything else

18. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Somehow I just can't see how transforming into pigs, rats, dogs, skunks, etc., walking on all fours and growling is an advancement. :lol  BTW, belief doesn't need to be justified, it's just IMHO. :)  Besides, the G1 Transformers would have found a better way to protect themselves from the Energon excess, as it just would have made them appear drunk, not destroy them. :lol 

19. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

It was hinted in the Dreamwave More Than Meets The Eye appendix issue that the Pretender technology was advancing in such a way as to fully integrate the pretender shell into the alt mode, instead of it being a protective suit of armor. I like to think that the Micromaster technology was incorproated by most transformers, and the ones going on deep space exploratory(or conquest) missions would utilize the incorporated pretender technology wherever it was required.(i.e. on a planet with exclusively organic life, that has problems with excessive energy.)

wow, I got my geek on today! :p 

20. Tannerbot2000

Tannerbot2000 Well-Known Member

The debate as to if the beast forms were an evolution or not isnt realy the debate. The forms that allowed the beast forms is an advancement. The transformer body as seen in the spark, was a mess of nanites that could radicaly reform on its own, rather than needing a supercomputer to do it for it. This is also expressed in the near imortality of the transformer based on damage. The nanites would allow one to be easily healed, and could be self sustaining in the event of massive pysical trauma, as evidenced by waspinator on a regular basis, trantulus at least once, inferno and quickstrike. The beast modes were merely a side effect of landing on a pre technology earth.