Evo 2012

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by PRIMEMAN3457, Jul 6, 2012.

1. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    I unfortunately missed the KoF final. The SCV final was pretty amazing to watch.

2. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The SCV final was amazing. The KoF final blew it out of the water.

3. Kimmer

Kimmer Well-Known Member

This really sucks for us east coasters. All I wanna do is see the AE finals and they're still running stupid-ass Marvel. They really should start the last game no later than 9pst imo. People actually have jobs and need to sleep on Sundays and can't stay up till 3 or 4 in the morning. Sorry for the rant but I know I'll accidentally see the results tomorrow morning and ruin everything before I can even watch any of the matches.

4. PRIMEMAN3457

PRIMEMAN3457 Leader

News Credits:
    Dang!
    I was going to watch more EVO on Saturday and today, but I was way too busy. :( 

Anyone care to tell me what went on with Mortal Kombat? It would be very appreciated.

5. Kujo1597

Kujo1597 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know! I can't wait for it to be on YouTube. I can't really put it into words.

I think word got out about it being great. KoF broke 90K watchers.

I think some of the extra stuff took too long and delayed a ton of stuff. King of Fighters XIII started a little late too.

EDIT:
    Sorry, I don't really follow Mortal Kombat. I mostly remember a guy in the losers bracket picking Styker and being really dumb with him. Maybe it's just me but I think that if a move fails three times in a row you should probably stop doing it.

I also remember CD JR picking Rain which got a reaction out of the crowd so I'm assuming he's considered a bad chracter.
    Unlike Decapon CD JR did very poorly with his low tier character.

I can link you to the grand finals however: Mortal Kombat - EVO 2012 Grand Finals - YouTube

Most of the Grand Finals are up now. Though I hope the full Grand Finals for KoFXIII and SCV get put up too.
    This probably sounds very wierd but I really enjoyed the stuff before the bracket reversals. I especally enjoyed it in KoFXIII because you could just see Bala was at a loss.

EDIT2:
    Yeah, not the best quality in the world but here's the full version of the King of Fighters Grand Finals. Was it really 48 minutes? o_O  It didn't seem nearly that long when I watched it.

I didn't catch the Arcade Edition top 8. I was reading the thread on GameFAQs and apparently it was really disappointing. I hope it wasn't and things were just being blown out of proportion.

EDIT3: Hey, how do you make YouTube videos not embed? I don't want to bog down computers but I wanted to link to a couple of videos. I even tried CODE tags. It's been a very long time since I messed around with all the different codes on forums.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  6. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I choose to blame Virtua Fighter 5 and its unexpected and highly boring addition to the stream schedule. In reality, a lot of it is just that games ran long - especially SCV and KoF. But I blame Virtua Fighter because fuck Virtua Fighter.

It was kind of boring and then Perfect Legend won over CD Jr easily.

It was pretty good. Part of the disappointment is that, after KoF and Marvel, it just didn't get a ton of hype. It had some pretty big upsets, but the grand final was not nearly as dramatic as those two. Gamerbee did awesome, though, and I've been a big fan of his since Evo 2k10, so that was fun for me.

7. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I, too, missed out on EVO this year. I only want AE and maybe MK. Nice to know Gamerbee made to the Grand Final with Adon as I am a big fan of him. Taiwan represent!

8. Kujo1597

Kujo1597 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    About the delay :lol  I was pretty confused when Virtua Fighter came on when KoF was supposed to start. I'm just glad that all we had for supper was burgers so I just it while eating at the computer.

about MK9 Ah, so that wasn't just me finding it boring. I never watched a Mortal Kombat tournament before so I didn't know if the lack of yelling and cheering was normal. Those golf claps really threw me off.

About AE Cool, I may do a YouTube search for it then. I don't think anything can get as hyped as KoFXIII and SCV were. :lol  Too bad the people only watching the grand finals on the IGN channel will miss the SCV winner being swarmed by his cheering squad. You can hear it but seeing it is something else.

9. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

Thoughts:

I only caught maybe the last half of SC5, and i've hated Tira since the game came out. Booooo. Still wanted the guy to win though.

Skipped SFxT entirely.

Caught the last couple matches of MK, the guy who used Striker when the croud cheered for it paid for it. Striker is garbage, especially against someone like that. Even being a big MK fan, I wasn't hyped for it at all. That Rain pick was pretty crazy though, wish it had worked out better.

I don't know which crowd was bigger, MK or Blazblue, but I wish it had been a BB finals shown instead.

Skipped VF5 entirely and they should have too, they were already running late and adding this just screwed the rest of the night.

Caught probably the last half or less of KOF, and could tell it was huge. Also HUGE viewer count for the finals, something like 90k and the 2nd biggest was MVC at 98k. Even with 0 knowledge about the game it was a pretty good show.

Skipped MVC.

AE started WAY too late, as has been said. I think they would have had many many more viewers if it didnt start around 1 in the morning east coast, and you could tell some of the players were just tired as well. While I thought AE was the focus of the tourney, they pretty much shot themselves in the foot with it. MVC became the hype since it was at the prime time slot.

I don't know what was the bigger disappointment though, Daigo basically being a nonfactor and going out fast, or that Sakura player basically being a joke in top 8. Credit for getting to that point, but as someone who mained Sak it was painful to see. I don't think he won a single set in winners or losers. Infiltration definately owned the entire game though, and while I was rooting for Gamerbee, Inf straight out deserved that win. He played nearly flawlessly.

The SF2 tourney was actually pretty cool to watch, the last couple of matches were intense. Some really good fights there.

KOF seems like its a solid game, but between never being able to get into SNK fighters in the past, and the fact that no one I know locally would buy it and the online is still supposed to suck, ill probably wait until I can get it for ultra cheap before picking it up.

10. SpencimusPrime

SpencimusPrime _

News Credits:
    You say that like you didn't expect it to be exciting.

11. Kimmer

Kimmer Well-Known Member

Finally saw the AE finals today and it was kinda disappointing. Gotta give major props to Infiltration though. He made it look pretty easy which is saying something. Was really pulling for Daigo or Gamerbee but Infiltration definitely deserved to win it all. Can't believe Daigo missed that cr.rh, really thought he would take it this year.

A little shocked at how quickly Poongko went out but it looks like Cammy is a pretty bad matchup for Seth. I've never seen him play so passively. Humanbomb was completely free and wish a better player had his spot and I'm so glad that PR Balrog didn't win. Can't stand that guy.

12. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Watched both KOF13 and SSF4AE12 and holy fuck KOF stole the show.