Everytime I see movie Starscream, I think of this guy

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by JetBrawn, Mar 1, 2008.

1. JetBrawn

JetBrawn Intergalactic SUV

anyone remember Saurod from He-Man?

same shape head

man, I dislike the movie Starscream robot design

neither sleek, nor cool

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  2. ashion

ashion Well-Known Member

HAHAHAHAHA! Oh my thats funny hehe.

Truth be told i was a litte taken a back by Starscreams appearence in the movie when i first saw him, but its since grown on me.

3. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Yea...Hehe.......Movie starscream always invokes a little chuckle out of me now and then. He was just so bad. But whatever....hopefully he'll look decent for the sequel.

4. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    He definately is different... I don't understand why everyone thinks hes so horrible though?

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    He's not horrible, he's just different, and that scares the shit out of people, unfortunately. His design is my second favourite next to Megatron's. I'm glad they went with functional/practical alien designs then cardboard-box man designs of two decades ago.

He's still Starscream, and (hopefully now that Bay has warmed up quite a bitto TFs in general) he'll have the same character and a flurry of decent lines next film considering he's one of two surviving 'Cons. (not counting Barricade who remains in limbo at a Tims near by)

6. jametron

News Credits:
    Yeah, I mean it's all personal preference, but I am a 30 yr old OG fan of TF and I thought that Screamer was pretty cool looking. If nothing else I like the fact he didn't look anything like expected! And I like the chicken legs too!

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    The chicken legs were great for me. He just looks awesome TFing mid-air and landing like 6 stories only to imediately whip out his missle launcher and pwn. I'm glad he survived, great setup for the sequel.

8. Julliant

Julliant This space for rent.

Woots I'm not the only one who loves the Movie Starscream design!

*dances*

.... but longer chicken legs would be nice, kinda like a werewolf, and maybe those G1 vertical things on his shoulder.

9. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Movie Starscream is great, a truly fantastic design. I too was wary about him at first but once I saw him in action it's been nothing but love from then on.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I think the chicken legs were at an appropriate length. Any longer and the would have looked gangly, any shorter and they would just be weird-looking for such a buff guy.

Maybe he'll have the shoulder protrusions in the next film, like pop-up missile racks. One can hope, I just hope they aren't too kibble-ly so as not to throw off his near kibble-free design.

I think what's best about Starscream's design is that it makes sense, especially in motion. The buff chest, thick arms, springy legs and armoured head all come together when in combat. The "landing in the street" scene and the scene where he fights the F-22s shows this the best.

11. Julliant

Julliant This space for rent.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Certainly! Got these stills from that old 1080p thread. These pictures would be much cooler with those shoulder things.

12. Rattrap587

Rattrap587 Maximal Ground Operations

Ebay:
    Movie Starscream is horrid. But some people consideres him as one of the best bots ever. (not me) - I can respect the opinion of these people but I will never agree. Same for Movie Megs and all Autobots faces designs. They simply sucks.

13. jametron

News Credits:
    Agreed 100%

14. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Bah. HATED his design, myself. The chicken legs were fine (not preferred, but fine). But the broad chest, upside down triangle shaped body and odd arms...Can't see how you liked it. Oh well, different opinions and all that, I suppose. At least he was animated INCREDIBLY well.

Still, I hope that they'll take a different approach to him in the sequel. Someone I know once said that a live action Screamer should be more of a "Nightmarish Prince of Darkness with vulture features", and I agree with him.

15. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

I'll elaborate a bit more to my dislike of movie Starscream. Hopefully I'll be able to get all of my thoughts out, and clearly.
    Comparing (I'm sticking with G1 because I want to remain consistent here, plus all the others are just off shoots of G1 anyway). G1 SS to movie SS.
    Yea I know, it's comparing apples and.....string beans. I don't know.
    Apples are tasty and delicious, while string beans leave a horrible taste in your mouth, and get you gag reflex in action (at least for me).

First G1 SS, was silver, red and blue, and his color scheme was broken up fairly well in my opinion.
    Movie SS...was shit colored, and was entirely shit colored. He didn't really have to many other colors to help brake that monotany up.
    I mean I realize that in flight mode SS had to maintain a realistic color scheme, but SOMETHING could have been done to make SS more interesting in robot mode.

G1 SS though a little 'boxy' as some of you nay sayers out there would argue did have an elegant simplicity to him as well. I may even dare say (in a purely heterosexual way) a sexy design.
    Movie SS however looked more a galumphing oaf (chicken monkey) that should have been carrying a club and uttering the word 'DUUH' before and after every sentence.

I mean if G1 SS went to a Cybertronian bar he would be going home every night with a different fembot, where as poor movie SS would have to go to his high school prom with his cousin because no other girl would want to go near him.

Movie Starscream was all around a bad design, a well animated bad design, but a bad design none the less. If he at the very least had some connection to the original SS I might not hate as much. But sadly Starscream was the second worst design next to Megatron.
    Oh well. Maybe for TF2 they'll actually put some thought into the characters.

16. jametron

News Credits:
    /\/\/\This is my biggest gripe with Ironhide.
    And I agree about Starscream as well, in bot mode more color could have appeared on parts not seen in F-22 mode... simple.

Well, in reality they did... that's obvious. It's just not gonna please everyone, but it doesn't mean he was just thrown together or anything.

17. Rattrap587

Rattrap587 Maximal Ground Operations

Ebay:
    I can imagine the same scene with the classical G1 design... WOW!!!! A MILLION times better!!!!

18. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    I didn't like Starscream design until I saw him in an IDW cover, my god, it was pure awesomeness and now he does look menacing and imponent. I still have issues with the head design, but he looks great.

19. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Isn't this the same old trap of assuming that people don't like the Starscream design because "they're afraid of something different" rather than perhaps, just maybe, that they legitimately think that the design is ugly as hell? Please, spare me that old song. :rollseyes

I may not like many of the movie designs as their G1 counterparts, but I own the toys for almost every one because I still find many of them cool looking. I do not own Starscream. That should tell you something... I am not "afraid of different designs"... I simply know that mold and design are hideous!

I don't even mind the head so much... reminds me of the BESPA mechs from V GUNDAM. But the chicken-monkey body? No thanks.

See, I also agree with this. If they had designed a knifey military-deco movie-style Starscream that followed a sleeker, more humanoid form, yet kept some elegant birdlike influences, I would have been a lot more amenable to the changes... because despite the differences, I still would have been able to recognize the essence of Starscream in the visual design. Chicken-monkey, not so much.

I would maintain that a good design in this context, is one that can communicate a sense of what the character is like, just through the visual appearance and motifs. Considering how few lines Starscream has, a strong iconic appearance would have helped his character tremendously.

No such luck.

zmog

20. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Love the design, but was really disappointed by the head. They could have at least made his head in some way resemble a seeker....

When thinking about it further, that was my only problem with him. The head design sucks. In general, I hated how the Decepticons in the movie were made to look like monsters. I wish that Hollywood would stop trying to decide what people should like when making a movie. They tried to force you to root against the decepticons. Transformers always was a cartoon where you didn't necessarily despise the bad guys.

Movie Starscream's body was perfect in my opnion. The legs worked with the design. The broad chest was cool in my opnion, made him look capable of winning by brute force as well as tactic. But the head design was horrible. He looked like an insecticon. And the lack of color on the robot form was unacceptable. I hope they have him reformatted, keeping most of the robot design, but adding his classic colors and changing his head. Perhaps have him don some sort of head gear resembling the seeker helmet. Or just devise a power source that upgrades him. But I thought they did a really bad job by not retaining any of his iconic features. At least the kept Bumblebee yellow, Megs metallic and Ops looked like Ops.