Everything is our Fault...

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by socko76, Oct 26, 2006.

1. socko76

socko76 Well-Known Member

I was just reading another comment someone made about how much the movie is going to suck. Probably another person upset about their chices for the characters... My question is: Why? You were fine with it before.

Let me put it this way, everyone is annoyed by the robot modes and the vehicle choices. Why? You have bought into it before! Optimus has been a semi truck, a fire truck, a pick up truck, a space fire truck that turns into a plane, even a damn monkey!

Do I wish they were making a G1 movie? Hell ya as do everyone my age but nowadays we get a new optimus every year and don't care. We buy them every year and don't care.

Money talks and money says we just want the names and that's fine. Mix that with the successful changes Batman, spider-man, and X-men had when they went to film and you leave the makers with alot of room for artistic license.

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I just think the new designs are ugly.

3. TransGoJoBot

TransGoJoBot Scooter is my friend

What about...

And the Energon Optimus was any better? He looked like he was enjoying the buffet lines too much and had chicken legs...

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    And I don't.

5. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

I thought Energon Optimus was just as ugly as the designs I've seen for the film, which is why I chose not to purchase the figure.

What's funny about your first post is that you listed three successful comic book adaptations that all stuck far more closely to their source material than Transformers has, your choices seem to counter the very point you're trying to make.

6. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

Am i the only one who loves where the movie is going? I think its great

7. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nope. I love it too. I'm going to the midnight showing...providing I can find one...

Oh yeah, socko, only room for onesock in this town! :lol  ;) 

8. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    So far, there isn't a single thing that i'm not happy about. I love what they're doing with this movie.

9. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    good point nothing is worse then Energon Optimus.

10. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

I beg to differ. Energon Prime simply looks like he spent far too much time at the snack bar. Movie concept megatron looks like the result of a drunken night of passion between treebeard and Sauron from Lord of the Rings.

11. .WAL.

.WAL. Banned

SO I think the bot designs are ugly. Big deal.

For the record: I haven't bouhgt anything since RID... because they were ugly and stupid.

So I guess I don't fit in with that whole "nowadays we get a new optimus every year and don't care. We buy them every year and don't care." thing.

BTW... I'm kinda curious about what those big changes to Batman, Spiderman and Xmen are. Batman remained true to his origins, Spiderman remained true to his origins, and Xmen I can't comment on. I didn't partake in any Xmen before the movie.

WAL

12. Wiggyof09

Wiggyof09 Well-Known Member

The issue is that the movie was expected by all to be a total g1 adaption. None of the other transformers shows were intended to be a g1 retelling. So, when those who thought it would be a g1 movie saw the new designs and heard of the changes, it pissed them off. Some still want it to be a total g1 movie. That is why people do not like this.

cartoons are a different animal as well. A new cartoon doesn't have to stick to the original, especially when the cartoons don't even connect to g1, other than Beast Wars, but Beast Wars didn't make prime a mnkey, they made a new character a monkey who took a name similar to g1 prime. There will only be one movie version of transformers though, and I think most wanted it to look exactly like g1.

13. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

No there were changes

For Batman the biggest change was that in the comics and cartoon, Bruce Wayne wasn't trained by R'as A'Guhl. And there are probably more too, but the only Batman movie I've seen is Batman Begins. So I can't comment on the previous movies

With Spiderman the changes are as follows

1)Organic webshooters whereas in the comic and 'toon the webs were synthetic
    2)Peter Parker isn't a scientific genious whereas in the comics and 'toon he was
    3)Peter was bitten by a genticly modified Spiderman whereas in the comic and 'toon it was an irradiated Spider
    4)Doc Ock was a good guy controlled by nanotech tentacles;in the comic and toon Doc Ock was never a good guy and the tentacles weren't nanotech
    5)Probably the origin of the Black costume and Venom will be different in the movie too

With X-Men the changes are many

1)Dark Phoenix in the movie is Jean's evil side; and in the comic and 'toon Phoenix was a cosmic entity
    2)In the movie Juggernaut's a mutant instead of a magically enhanced human

And there are plenty more ranging from characters not in the same roles as in the comic and toon

14. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    Well....Batman was shown as a terribly good detective in ANY film adaption. And there are still Batman fans who hate the "body armor" look the movies sported, particularly Begins (which even modified the iconic symbol). Plus the whole Batmobile issue from Begins

In Spider-Man, they VASTLY changed the look the Green Goblin (which had a large amount of negative press), and three words:
    organic
    web
    shooters
    Those three words sparked PAGES upon PAGES of gripes

Those two franchises show it is quite possible to make drastic changes, while still maintaining the core of the brand.

I see NO reason not to think the same about Transformers.
    At its core, Transformers is about:
    An alien race of robots (check)
    that can change forms (check)
    that come to Earth (check)
    Their war is waged between Autobots (check) led by Optimus Prime (check)
    against Decepticons (check) led by Megatron (check)
    Am I forgetting anything?

15. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    And on R'as, he is VASTLY different than the eco madman in the comics

And from what I understand, they are using the Ultimage Spider-Man Venom origin for the film, which might as well be new since most are familiar with the alien symbiote origin

16. .WAL.

.WAL. Banned

Bruce Wayne watched his parents get murdered, was raised by Alfred, trained, became a vigilante with scientific detective skills, dresses like a bat and drives a funky car.

No changes.

Parker IS a scientific genius in the movies. His costume looks virtually the same as in the comics. His Uncle was murdered, he became a costumed vigilante and had his Aunt May. He was bitten by an altered spider.

Again, no changes.

No way in Heaven or on Earth does the changes in Megatron equate to "organic" web shooters. Doc Ock was still a bad guy with robot arms.

Honestly, none of these so-called "changes" equate to what is rumored or leaked in Transformers.

I think a better analogy is the differenced between the old BSG and the new. As it stands, at best we were sold a fraudulent bill of goods. It might work out any way, but that's really not the point. Besides... there might be a bit more fan forgiveness if this film was sold as such.

WAL

17. .WAL.

.WAL. Banned

Now, there is a point- a valid one- that audiences not familiar with the mythos won't care about the changes.

But teh fans do.

So therefore, make the fans happy, and the un-knowing audience won't know the difference.

But I guess that would make too much sense, wouldn't it?

WAL

18. turk128

turk128 Well-Known Member

Or how about make a selective part of the fan base happy and the majority of the audience laugh derisively?

'Cause it is a selective portion of the fan base, not even the majority, just a very vocal part.

19. Majin Tenshi

Majin Tenshi Member

Any retelling will have changes. Otherwise there is no point in the retelling. The important thing is that the core of the story is maintained. If it isn't you might as well just write a new story.

Asthetics are trivial to the core of a story.
    In the case of Batman... Most tellings I'm familiar with have Bruce devote his life to fighting crime at a much younger age then he did in Begins. As a result hes better and more diversely trained in those tellings. Most tellings also have him invent a good chunk of his gear (who knows where he gets the time). The movie did scimp a bit on his detective ability, and his playboy persona is usualy more airheaded around everyone who isn't in on it. Ras was close enough to the original to be functional, and inserting him into the movie made it more casual view friendly. As much as they took from "Batman Year One"... anything else is forgivable.

Spidy's had organic shooters for a few years now in the comics, weather those were before or after the movie I'm not sure. Doc Ock is a mad genius, the movie just changed the source of the madness to make him redeemable. In the cartoon at least the radioactive spider was irradiated by a genetics ray thingy... a retro virus is in the same field and makes more sense. Venom has had several origins. You wanna complain about something, complain about Gwen Stacy.

Dark Pheonix as a cosmic entity wouldn't have worked for the casual movie goer. The Ultimates universe is pokeing around with the idea that its her dark side. Juggernaut? again for simplicity's sake they messed with him, not the best choice but forgivable.

The important thing is that the core of the story is preserved. Changes in retellings can actualy help better define the core of a story by what they isn't changed. What little information that we have now is far from finalized. While gripeing may cause classic details to be retained, there will be changes and some will even be improvements.

20. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    But but I love Energon Prime :confused2