Everyone that visits this forum read this

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by Tony_Bacala, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Tony_Bacala

Tony_Bacala Car Robots Professional Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
  2. Glitcher

Glitcher Banned

News Credits:
    What's the point of that update? It's common sense to warn others about potential scammers to avoid being caught. If I saw an armed man about to break into your house, Tony, would you want me to warn you about it or just sit back and watch the show?

3. Sound Blaster

Sound Blaster Shattered Glass World

I would want to know.....:sly2: 

Then why did they pull that auction about the FAKE Menasor giftset?

4. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    The point was that someone was going to post personal info of a ebay seller and other people were sabotaging a auction.

5. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    You said in the update that we should report the auctions to Ebay and have them take it down, but as was demonstrated by the auction that the thread was about, Ebay frequently takes no action against scam auctions. The auction stayed up for several days, despite a dozen or so reports to Ebay about its fraudulent nature.

I feel I'm only expressing what I believe is the feeling of the vast majority of us who post on this board. We value threads like the one being referenced because it helps protect us from scammers. I know of no other board where the members look out for each other like this. It's a great resource for the entire Transformers-collecting community.

However, the more stringent rules you guys come up with, the poorer a resource this forum will be to people. I agree that contact info should be kept off of the board, but I don't see a problem with people discussing fraudulent auctions and the identity of the scammer. Discussions like the one that was deleted keep people from getting scammed. They should be encouraged IMHO.

6. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    It's clear that eBay could care less about auctions like the "MISB" Menasor. They did NOTHING after multiple reports - they just don't check the details on things like that, and they let them slide.

We need watchdog threads to warn people of obvious and known scammers and bad auctions, but I agree that posting their personal info is over the line. I can also see how it could get out of control and become a witch hunt - but I don't see any other way.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  7. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    no personal info(ok, i get that, that can be pm'd or emailed), but the different ebay names of scammer and his history? weres the fault in that? its not like these people can sue anyone for saying anything about their ebay ID, especially if they are a scammer. I like our little watch dogs, I think they put alittle too much emphasis on the KO's, but I still like em. God knows I couldve used them a couple years back when I got jacked.

8. Da_Last_2_Walk

Da_Last_2_Walk Da King Of Pre Rubs TFW2005 Supporter

I apologize for my thread, and any trouble it caused.

I was only trying to keep my fellow board members from being scammed.

- Da King Of Pre Rubs

9. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I wouldn't say that you have anything to apologise for, DL2W.

I don't know what happened towards the end of the Menasor thread (my net access has been flaky most of the day) but it must have gotten pretty bad. A line has to be drawn somewhere as to what can and can't be posted. Personal details should never be posted.
    HOWEVER.
    It may have ended up going too far, but that thread may well have saved a LOT of people here from bidding on what was a massive scam. Someone from here might have ended up seriously robbed if people hadn't taken action. And, as has already been pointed out, eBay themselves did NOTHING, despite all the reports.
    Threads like that should be posted; and, frankly, encouraged. Hell, give them a sub-forum if need be; if video reviews and YouTube stuff can get their own, I don't see why something this serious shouldn't. At the VERY least, a sticky thread.
    I've lost count of the number of times we've banded together and saved people from losing some frankly horrific amounts of money at the hands of unscrupulous scumbags on eBay. And, to be blunt, it's clear simply eBay doesn't give a toss, so long as they get their money.
    So that ONLY leaves us.
    If I see auctions like this, I WILL post them here to warn people. I will also report auctions that are scams, and notify winning bidders that they're about to get ripped off. I would hope that others would do the same for me.
    I'd say that thieves who are trying to rip people off are definitely "worthy of note".

People call TFW2005 a community; a family, in some cases. Well. A decent community or family looks after it's own.
    Bottom line: we need people to post "things to stay away from".
    Because if we don't, no-one else will.

10. Might Gaine

News Credits:
    I agree that a subforum to report scammers would be a good idea.

11. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    We need a record of things like this. I mean; that thread (for example) is now gone, and there is NO record of who the scumbag was. He could relist it right now, and anyone who didn't see that thread could get scammed all over again.
    At the very least, a sticky thread with the eBay names of scammers and a record of their scams.

12. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    Maybe I'm not reading the update the same way. I think they are trying to discourage a deliberate, unified sabotage of an auction (like what happenned with the Menasor set - and I'll be the first to admit I was trying to push they guy for more photos - but I never bid and I never called him out). Granted, it's not like that action is asked for on these boards (not that I've seen anyway), but this site needs to protect themselves from ebay actions down the road.

It also says at the end of the update that warnings are still allowed, but should not be the dominant feature of the thread. I think the point of this forum was to have members list thier own auctions and good deals they've found. Instead there's a growing number of "bashing" (for lack of a better term) posts. While I agree that increase of negative postings are a result of the scammers increasing their ploys (thus a justification of a sub-forum perhaps), I can see why they'd want to pull that away from this forum.

Am I defining it incorrectly?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  13. diablien

diablien Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    TFW probably got in trouble and they are trying to make sure that doesn't happen again.

Duh guys.

Just play it cool.

14. Might Gaine

News Credits:
    The auction was a scam. The same seller, just 1 or 2 weeks, swiped images of a TFW user's AFA 90 Soundwave and tried to "sell" it on Ebay. The TFW user still has the AFA 90 in his collection. Clearly, a scam. Then the same seller puts up an auction for a "sealed Menasor", the rarest sealed G1 toy in existence? Clearly, a scam as well.

Calling this guy out on his scam is not auction "sabotage". Anyone who calls it that does not understand the situation.

15. Might Gaine

News Credits:
    I can't really imagine *who* they got in trouble with. Last time I checked, Ebay doesn't go after online boards discussing the legitimacy of auctions.

16. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    I was able to get the person to pull the menasor auction down as I told them id agree to buy it :D . They sent me an email from their person email account and I did a bit of searching and you can see they are playing bumb on ebay as the person has great english when posting elsewhere on the internet. Scam threads are needed for sure like Malach Ra said it would of helped me tons in the past I also agree that personal information shouldnt be posted.

17. WhoKid57

WhoKid57 Well-Known Member

These threads are a major resource for many people...there's no harm in trying to keep people informed and look out for other people BUT when you start posting sellers' personal info thats when you draw a line and have a right to step in. If anything I think there should be a sub forum for these kinda threads.

18. mecha

mecha Banned

watch the show...

:popcorn :

19. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

I agree on the no personal info (ebay IDs is not personal info) and no coordinated witch-hunts but I hope the 'more detailed, stringent rule sets' don't take things too far and only allow for plugging of one's own auctions on ebay.

Then some sort of sub-forum for IDing scams and misrepresentations would definitely be needed. I feel that posting these issues never usually leads to witchunts, etc., but it did in this case because of this particular individual's notorious reputation he has made for himself (and I certainly hope the site isn't trying to protect him as he has acted in ways damaging to the TFW and its members various times).

Usually though with postings of corrupt auctions, a bunch of people learn what to look for, a few people get saved making a bad purchase, and a couple of people report the auction to ebay through learning about it here. Now I don't get how there is anything WRONG with that and I certainly hope TFW is not trying to censor that as there are 3 major positives I just listed there without any negatives and sources like that are part of what make the site so great.

In fact when one looks at the history of conflict-threads in the 'tfs on ebay' section like the recent Menasor one, they are very few and far in between and have pretty much all involved a particular ebay seller or two's auctions or coming to the site to stir $hit up.

So please...reaction but not overreaction.