ever wonder what a 62' boat looked like suspended in the air?(pic heavy 56k beware!)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cloud Strife, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife 01000011 01000101 0101010

for those of you who don't know, i work in a custom yacht building facility. i build bulkheads. but it's always interesting to see the boats being flipped, we build the hull upside down, then flip them to work on the rest of the boat. it takes about 3 months to build the hull from the ground up, so in the 3 years i've worked here, i've seen this happen many times, but it's always fun to watch, and i finally remembered to bring my camera this time. the dementions are 62' from bow to stern. the width across the stern is 14', and the width across the widest part of the bow is around 17'. it weighs 12,002lbs when he fliped it. first pic is the boat sitting in the shop.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    in the last pic on the left side, i'm the guy in the dark grey shirt, and the blue shorts pulling the rope to keep the boat from twisting on the crane.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  2. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Photoshop some wings on it and you have the flying boats from Super Mario Bros.

3. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Noah would be all over that

4. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

That's really awesome. Thanks for sharing the pics!

5. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

You have quite an interesting line of work. So have you ever been able to ride aboard any of the yachts that you helped build? Were I a well-off individual who was getting a custom yacht, if I liked it enough I would invite the builders for the maiden cruise.

But that's just me.

~Z

6. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Hey, stop taking pictures and hurry up and finish my goddamn boat!

7. Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife 01000011 01000101 0101010

well, i was supposed to ride on one of them last year, they were taking people out on one for an all day deep sea fishing trip, but it got late in the year, and only a couple people actually got to go, i never got to go. the guys that get to ride are the guys in the other shop, we have 2 main facilities, one where i work and one about 10 miles up the road where they do all the electronic work (including installing the engines, props, lights, sound system, ect) and that shop is on the water. the guys that install the engines, get to take the boat out and test the engines out on the open water, we kinda get ignored in my shop, we do everything in terms of actually building the boat but none of the credit. when boat owners get their boat, they will sometiems throw a pig pickin' for us but that's about it. the owners kinda forget about us cause all they really see is the other shop where the put all the wires and crap in.

just a side note, the adverage boat costs around 1.5-2 million

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007