Ever wish your employment had something to do with Transformers Toys?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by dragooner, Feb 17, 2011.

1. dragooner

dragooner Optimus' BFF

I've been thinking about this a lot lately....I wish my job description had something to do with Transformers Toys...

Is there anyone on this board that makes a sole income on Transformers Toys?? Talk about WANTING to go to work.....

2. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

As a student, yes, it would be pretty awesome if my job involved toys in any way.

3. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:

Mac and Cheese?

4. The Crow

The Crow ARK BUILDER!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My Aunt work for Mattel and she is a HUGE Barbie collector and loves every minute of it. She has been with the company for close to 15 years and makes a pretty good living. Her responsibility is going to local retail stores checking what inventory they have out showing, what they have in stock and making sure they are pushing the lines that they want pushed. Also setting up special displays for new products. I WANT HER JOB!! but for Hasbro!!

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    What up Transformers fans...?

6. Pikatron

Pikatron Well-Known Member

I really wish Hasbro would do that sort of thing. I've been seeing the same PCC figures on the shelves for months now. I wants me some constructicons and dinobots!!

7. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In all honesty... no. I like to set aside a certain amount of time away from work for fun stuff I like, and TFs come under that. They'd feel like less of an escape from work if my job involved them, and before too long I'd enjoy them a lot less than I currently do. So for now, I'll keep business and pleasure separate. :) 

8. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    If i had to deal with TFs all day, i'd probably go spare.

I bet some of Hasbro's TF team hate secretly hate them.

Didn't Kickback do that sort of thing for a while?

9. IceWilly

IceWilly Technobot

I interviewed with Hasbro actually. I am an engineer, and my goal was to do toy design for Transformers.

Almost all of the toy design is done overseas. Either in partnership with Chinese design places or maybe some in Japan. I asked specifically for someone to investigate the transformers group and where it was done.

quote from the email:
    So right there was the dream killer. I was all set to spend a few years doing Playskool and whatever else until I got a shot to go to the big leagues and the TF group. Or even the NERF team which does do design in the USA.

Their "product engineering" jobs in the USA are basically just glorified marketing positions. There was no engineering involved, and basically not even much design. You might be able to sway where they want to go with the look of a design, but when it comes down the details of transformation and stuff, theres little to be done. I'm sure I could have gotten better headsculpts and color schemes pushed through though :) 

But since they apparently promoted someone from within to the job i wanted (fine) it let me know that there really wasn't the skill required for that position. As much as I want to work with TF's, humbly speaking I have too much mechanical talent to be telling some guy in China what colors to paint the TF's so we might sell a few more in Walmart.

Besides.... kitbashing I can do it in my free time, make what I want, paint it how I want, and be proud that I did it all start to finish and get to look at it on my shelf for years.

10. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

Oh snap, you went there.

11. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Are you refering to Sean Long?

12. Nez Pierce

Nez Pierce @evildanish

News Credits:
    I've crossed paths with Hasbro reps that do the same sort of thing from time to time. We shot the shit for a little while but nothing ever came of it.

13. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To be honest, Transformers are my worry-free outlet. My other hobby, video games, is what my career is based on but it does change the hobby a little. So, unless I had the good fortune to work on a Transformers video game, I don't really want my Transformers collecting to become a job in any way.

14. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hasbro has open positions for the wandering toy rep described above, but its like $12 an hour and you have to drive your own car.

15. MrFX

MrFX Collecting never ends...

While it would be nice for a while, I'd have to say no. Sometimes I go into overdrive with these things (mainly when I'm looking for something I want), so l like to keep my hobbies separate from my job. Figured it's best that way.

16. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    It'd be fun, but I like what I'm doing now. There's enough Star Wars and Star Trek references that creep in to satisfy the geek in me while keeping it professional. IMO Transformers is my hobby that I go and do outside of work time.

17. taterx

taterx Lurkin since Transfandom

lol ;) 

18. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My job has plenty to do with Transformers. I work so I can get paid and buy stuff, like TFs.

19. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    I worked on the Rescue Squad during the concept stages, does that count?

20. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I've gotten some free swag and media review copies in the past courtesy of Hasbro reps and related distributors and have even auditioned for some of their productions/toy ads in the past, but I don't think I'd want to work directly for Hasbro except as a voice talent.

I enjoy being self-employed -- even if it's a difficult way to make a living.