Ever think about getting out of the collection game?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Drangleic, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

Except those Han and Chewy Minifigures I want come with a Millennium Falcon that is bigger than any other toy I have. ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  2. NSJ23

NSJ23 Binalternator Lover

I doubt i'll ever get out, but i'm not buying anything new that is not going to be displayed. For too long i had bought "stuff i thought that was cool" but then was shelved in a closet. i have a home with very little display space (there is space but the woman doesn't want toys all over our home) and 3 year old who can't wait to get his hands on some of my breakable stuff lol! My marvel legends, DC universe classics WWE figures are almost all in a plastic tub. those i won't ever get rid of but really don't know when i'll be able to display again.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Spark Extractor

Spark Extractor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There's been a lot of mentions about not collecting junk/garbage type of stuff. That is certainly sage advice and can definitely be a problem for many people. I think for a lot of us now though, it's that there is just so much good stuff that it's becoming harder and hard to not buy some things and to cut what we have. For a long time now I've only purchased things I thought were quality (but not necessarily expensive) and never bought peripheral cheap stuff. Even doing that is hard. Amiibo/Nendoroid/Figma/F4F are all quality stuff for my Zelda collection. DC statues by DC Collectibles/Tweeterhead/Sideshow are all great quality. My TFPrime and MP are quality. The small amount of Chogokins are excellent. About the closest thing I have to garbage is my DC Collectibles Batman the Animated Series stuff, but even that is pretty cool and decently made (for the most part). And even within the parameters I've set, I've had to pass on so much great stuff. I'd love the new Diaclone line and to get the entire MP line (instead of 84/84), Hot Toys from Marvel/DC, and lot's of 3rd party etc....

It's not just down to an overall excess of stuff because you buy good stuff and junk, but because so many properties and so many companies have such high quality offerings. To keep things under control now, you have to say "I love franchise X, I love company X, I love figure X, but I just can buy it no matter how much I want it". Obviously these are 1st world problems, so it's not like I'm losing my head. We are just in a time of overabundance of riches when it comes to collectibles.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Puffy Mcpufferson

Puffy Mcpufferson Well-Known Member

Sometimes I do.

I've got enough Optimus Primes, enough Megatrons, enough Voltrons, enough Megazords, enough Goku figures, enough Iron Man figures, enough Super Robot figures- anybody who has seen my basement would definitely say I have more than enough- and I actually agree with them.

And it brings up questions like:
    How much can Optimus Prime and Megatron really change from time to time?
    How much can Voltron change from time to time?
    How much can Megazords change?
    How much can Goku change?
    How much can Iron Man change?
    How much can the old school 80's Super Robots change?

No matter how many different ones I buy, there's a 90% chance that it'll always do the same damn thing- just in a slightly different way- that's all.

If I stopped collecting now, how much would those products really change over the next 10 years? I'm guessing not much.
    Mazinger Z would still look the same.
    Iron Man would still look somewhat the same.
    Goku would be Goku.
    Optimus and Megs would still be the same old Optimus and Megs.
    And Voltron would still be the same: 5 lions.

So would I really miss out on alot if I stopped now? Probably not.
    I'd miss out on new designs, but overall the way the products work: That wouldn't change.

Frankly, I think it's the thrill of collecting, more than the actual collectibles themselves, that keeps me going- it's my OCD.
    If I stopped collecting, I'd probably have to find something else to fuel my OCD into- and what that'd be: No clue.

But simply: Yes, I do think about stopping from time to time.

5. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

One busy night at the bar is like pissing away a Masterpiece (or at least a deluxe).

• Like Like x 2
  6. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

When I got my first GI Joe figures I was seriously wishing the 3 3/4 scale was the standard for all action figures instead of the 6" ones. Sure they're small yet so detailed and their articulation isn't that much different. Not to mention they come with an assortment of accessories. Imagine how the collection world would be if every toy company went with that scale including the Japanese imports.

7. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron Great Again!

I'm not going to stop because I enjoy it. There are times when I get frustrated at the lack of product in-store, but that won't stop me from buying things I like. In addition, just about everything can be ordered online (better yet, pre-ordered), so there really isn't a need to go hunting anymore as it usually ends up with wasted gas and time.

As of now, I only collect two lines: G1 Masterpiece and Marvel Legends, and with the latter, I'm extremely judicious. Every now and then, I'll have an impulse buy for a TF CHUG, Godzilla or Ultraman (or something that's too cool to pass up like a random McFarlane figure), but generally, I stick to the aforementioned. Now, if DC Universe Classics were still around, I'd have a serious addiction problem. lol Regarding MP's they're released so sporadically that buying one every 5 months is not an issue.

My most glaring issue is the accumulation of toys amassed throughout the years. I have a man-cave and storage FULL of SDCC exclusives and large-scale toys that I just don't have space for, not to mention multiples. I've tried (and somewhat failed) at going by a strict edict: If I can't display it, I can't buy it. But then, there are things that are just too good to pass up like finding Fortress Maximus at Ross.

Every so often, I'll grab a table at a local toy show and liquidate my extras, which has always given me a good return. I always say that collecting toys beats other expensive vices. If you're into drinking, you're literally pissing away all the money you've spent. If strip joints are your thing, you're throwing away money on a forgettable fantasy and going home with blue balls. At least with collecting, it's tangible and can net you a nice return if things don't work out.

• Like Like x 2
  8. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker Well-Known Enabler

News Credits:
    Isn't that a bitch? I'm in the same boat. And after not buying a lot of the CW figures and all....I've come to realize...I actually like having more money in my pocket :lol  Which I then promptly spent on some expensive Macross stuff.....

SOB....

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  9. TattooedRobot

TattooedRobot Trapped under a pile of Mazingers TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Uh.… A lot?

D9A832C0-3CEF-4696-937C-A3D65EF3154C.jpeg 6584FE54-2D66-43C0-B956-B98626DEA66E.jpeg 2BFD2A89-BDAD-4085-9B95-A63BED3EC085.jpeg F4942A1E-0EE4-4F10-AC66-09DBC635C331.jpeg 34B398E9-E0F7-4FEF-897F-625F9B12007D.jpeg
    F1C35DBE-3E50-4D8F-8522-5DBE0308710A.jpeg

Just funin’ yah...

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Puffy Mcpufferson

Puffy Mcpufferson Well-Known Member

You can have 100 megazords, and they all still do the same exact thing.
    You can have 100 Voltrons, and they all still do the same exact thing.
    You can have 100 Primes and Megatrons, and they all still do the same exact thing.
    They all transform, they all combine, they all break down- they might not look the same, but in the end: they all do the same thing.

So at this point, if I stopped collecting:
    I'd probably be good on Primes and Megatrons.
    I'd probably be good on Megazords and Voltrons.
    I'd probably be good on Iron Men.
    Because it doesn't matter of you're holding #1 or #100- they move, transform, combine, break down- they all do the same thing.

So after buying enough of these, my point is that I could stop and the way future products would work probably wouldn't change much- I wouldn't miss out on alot. I'm guessing 10 years from now, Megazords will probably be designed and manufactured the same way they are now- same goes for Voltron products.

11. TattooedRobot

TattooedRobot Trapped under a pile of Mazingers TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Like i said just having fun ;) 

12. Predaking000

Predaking000 Well-Known Member

Re: this last sentence...I don't even transform my Transformers, so it doesn't matter whether my Prime or Megatron transforms just like a million other variations of the two characters. They're toys, but I pretty much buy them for how they display.

The key difference is how much better the figures look than the older versions. MP-10 looks better than MP-01 to me, and hopefully, V3 Prime will look better than MP-10. Otherwise, if we carry this logic to its conclusion, there's really no difference between 1984 Prime and MP-10 Prime because they "do the same thing."

Of course you're right to appreciate what you appreciate about these things.

Personally, I'm nearing the end of my super-active collecting primarily because what I want has mostly been made or will never be made (for god's sake, can some please make a third-party Classics Cheetara?), because my shelves are nearly full, and because I'm getting too damn old. As TT seems hellbent on creating the definitive toon-accurate versions of the main TF characters, I'll be set with TFs once TT reaches Prime (v3) and Jazz (or MakeToys, if Downbeat sees a reissue).

As far as "getting out," man, I've lost track of how many times I've cycled through collections. For me, it's just part of my vagabond collecting nature. That said, I've never amassed so much stuff that I couldn't fit it all in an office in my house, and that's pretty much my standard now. It's not even my wife. I just don't want to go downstairs and see the living room or dining room or kitchen strewn with toys. Of course, I say this as someone without kids. But I think some don't know when to stop, and once it goes past a certain point, a panic sets in and they're like like, "What have I wrought?"

• Like Like x 1
  13. Drangleic

Drangleic Got the heart and the guts

I do that too. It definitely is at least $50-$100 everytime you go.

No bullshit, a couple weeks ago I racked a $500 tab. I was so drunk that I apparently had a "drinks on me!" moment for everyone that was there. My dear friend Rebecca was trying to get all these new friends I suddenly acquired to stop. Out of control that night.

Problems man. I got them.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Predaking000

And here, I've been going back and forth on whether to spend the $350 for Yamato's SDF-1 and whether the joy of the purchase will long last enough to justify it...:) 

Hope it doesn't happen too often, man.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

I guess I'm looking at this from the perspective of not having enough time to do the things that I enjoy. This hobby lets me acquire it piece by piece, rather than having to sit down and commit to hours on end. I shop once in a while, I browse the forums to stay on top of it. My collection has an end point, so it doesn't matter if stop or not, the collection is finite, and some day, it will be complete... only because now it's not possible to complete it.

I have to be strong and stay away from the "ooooh shiny", and the "so funky an old 1/48 Valk LET ME BUY IT". I have mostly been successful.

16. Predaking000

I think that collectors are by and large addicts. There's a part of us that's always jonesing for the next fix, and looking for an excuse, whether that comes in the form of selling stuff to buy stuff, or just plain buying stuff until we're (temporarily) glutted.

I'm thinking/hoping that my active collecting days will be done by the time I'm retired. But who knows what kind of toys there'll be in 20-25 years?

• Like Like x 2
  17. rattrap007

rattrap007 one with the Force TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've slowed down a lot. I used to collect all tf toys and other stuff. TF Movie, classics, animated/prime, etc. But with Extinction and RiD i quit those and just go Classic series. The Extinction ones turned me off and most of RiD was too kiddy. I picked up maybe 6 figures from RiD because those looked interesting enough. It was not a "gotta get them all" feeling anymore.

Before i got so many figures. Now i look at some of the lines and want to sell a lot of them off. Ones like Armads, Energon and Cybertron. Might keep a few things like some minicons, A. Megatron, E. Strongarm, etc. Most can be sold with no regrets.

I do get some legos and Mega Bloks now and then if a set interests me. I have most of my toy collection in tubs in my closet.

Right now the stuff i would keep are BW, CR/RiD(2001), Animated, Prime, and all Classics.

18. The Dark Seeker

News Credits:
    I ponied up the extra $250 and paid for the premium finish :lol 

19. Predaking000

I actually preordered the PF on HLJ, but ultimately couldn't justify it, not from Yamato. Now if Bandai released a large DX TV SDF-1...

• Like Like x 1
  20. The Dark Seeker

News Credits:
    You mean Arcadia :p  But yeah, I know....I've had the regular one initially from Yamato that I keep forgetting to take pics of...speaking of which.... I need to do that. But yeah, if they made a TV SDF-1, I'm all over it. I could care less about TFs for a while. I WILL be getting one!

• Like Like x 1