Ever seen an AFA 50 before? :P

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by Might Gaine, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
  2. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Wow. I'm surprised that was even sent for grading. It's clear the low score is due to the card, the figures themselves look great and were graded highly. I doubt he'd get his starting bid for that if it weren't graded, and I'm not sure he's going to get it regardless.

3. JOHNDILLINGA

JOHNDILLINGA This Space For Rent!

News Credits:
    WTF is the point of that?
    seriously?

4. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    that's pretty craptastic

5. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    Wow, didn't know they go that low.

6. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I feel sorry for the poor sap for having paid to get a piece like that graded in the first place. :/

7. PeterNorth

PeterNorth Well-Known Member

aww come on peeps lets not bag. its not that bad. iv seen an AFA 60 shockwave before that was perfectly fine. it just had a crack in the window, and thats it. besides hes a member here. lets not trash fellow TFW members ebay auctions

8. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    you can always get it for bragging rights.Not many people have graded figs plus it will be cheaper.

9. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    Yah don't trash fellow members....even if they are charging $65.00 shipping in the USA....:eek: 

I think the shipping cost kinda ruins that whole cheaper thing...:eek: 

10. PeterNorth

hes shipping from europe. there's all kinda fees that need to be paid, customs ect.

11. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    I'm sure. Hey, he can charge whatever he wants...:) 

12. JBrock

JBrock TFW2005 Supporter

well I imagine that the submitter didn't think that the oversized hole would have such a drastic effect on the grade. I submitted an Astrotrain once that would have been an 85 but it had a paper tear where the price tag was taken off. The graded it an overall 70 with card 60, window 85, figure 90.

If there was a BIN of 99 with a US seller, I would think about it.

13. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Yeah, I wasn't trying to be negative, the figures themselves look quite nice. It does seem silly to have it graded with that hole cut out of the card, but I admit I think the whole grading system itself is ridiculous unless you've got a damn near pristine perfect box. And even then only for the case to keep it nice :)  I think he could get $120 for it, but with shipping and that starting bid, the CHEAPEST it'll go for would be $165, and I'm wondering if he'll get any takers that way. If he'd had a lower starting bid, I think he could get it up to that price (or close to it).

14. Orion P

Orion P Cybertronian P.I.M.P.

50, hahaha :D 

15. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    true,but there's always a chance he will take offers 130-150 would be a great price.

16. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    Ack. I didn't even realize it was his, but now that I see the country and username, I know who it is. I kind of regret starting this thread now--didn't mean to give him bad publicity on the auction, I just thought it was interesting to see, since low grades don't show up much :-/

17. PeterNorth

you didnt really say anything negative but other people were. you are right about the grade though. you dont see 50's too often. knowing who he is, he prolly thought it whould pull a 70 or at worst a 60 because AFA will still sometimes give a 70 even when the points are cut out. if you look at the grand scheme of things if someone buys it for around $150 or so, thats not that bad of a deal for a pre rub. most AFA 80ish pre rub cassettes go for $500-$650 all the time.

18. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    How is this any different than paying the money for a figure that you know is in good condition? Either way it is a rare original G1 tape set, which is special no matter what condition it is in. It is not like he got an Armada Hotshot graded.

If pro-grading people are of the mind that anything graded is worth more than something un-graded, then I don't see how his decision wouldn't make sense to you guys. It isn't easy to keep a 30 year old piece of cardboard in good shape anyways.

Most ancient Greek and Roman artifacts would get a -20 from AFA but they are still valuable :p  ;) 

19. snackdragon

snackdragon Banned

I actually bought it together with a bunch of others graded ones. I had to take it to get the few that I wanted. I also bought a 50 shockwave from the same guy in the same lot. But it looks way better than these cassettes....
    And well, shipping with online tracking starts at 50 euro, so even with the 65 us, I have to pay for a big part of the shipping myself..:wink: 
    And yes, it was silly to get this graded.... I atleast would't have taken the trouble to do so myself..:D 

20. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ^ To reinforce what was already said. Shipping from Europe to the U.S. can be pretty steep, and that's not even taking into account the exchange rate at the moment.