Ever screwed yourself over?...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vector Sigma, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

I ask simply because i've done it and was wondering if anyone else has managed to monumentally fuck themselves in someway or other through their own good intentions?

I'd never really come to terms with the fact that being the nice guy, solicited or no, doesn;t just let you help people, it leads to far more.

I don't regret a single time i've done anything whatsoever thats benefitted someone else, but I've come to realise that in my endeavours of good will, i've reached a little further than was neccesary, and compromised myself.

I hate seeing people in pain and suffering, be it physical, mental, spiratual or whatever, and feel a deep need to help. And through performing this help I find myself feeling a happier man, and i find myself being a man reaching beyond his sensible boundaries.

I'm no saint, not by a long freaking shot. I'm no good samaritan. I don't wnat anyone reading this to think that. I'm just posting this to see if anyone else has been in a similar situation, where you realise that your a 'help junkie', someone that can't help but help others, no matter the consequences.

Anyone else out there like me?...

2. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

By and large the axiom is true...nice guys finish last. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

You drinking tonight bud?

3. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

The axiom is true as ever dude, quite right.

And you have me on that one, yes I am drinking tonight buddy. Not enough to cloud my judgement, but enough to loosen my tongue. Either way at this point I wouldn't be allowed to drive...

4. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Nope, I deal with people fairly, and very much straight forward but not charitably.

5. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm usually with FP on straight-up without being charitable. But I had a good friend that I ended up loaning about $2500. Got about $1400 back and it cost me my friendship, but I honestly consider it money well spent for a lesson I needed to learn.

6. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I could never reach. :( 

7. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Have done, don't any more.

You're one of the best VS, don't be down :)  we love you.

8. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    I have indeed screwed myself over, mainly by forgetting that not everybody shares my same sense of humor, especially when it comes to deadpanning and making light of unfortunate situation by making a tasteless and completely inappropriate remark.

I've fucked myself in the mouth before. True story.

9. McBradders

You killed the thread. Douche.

10. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The words, Too, Much and Information spring to mind.

But as for the thread, yeah I like to try and help some people.
    However I usually find it's never reciprocated, so I tend to try and not help people now.

11. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I used to be a very nice guy.

It seems people will take advantage of that though, I mean I'm not a total prick now or anything. It's just that I used to believe that people were basically good, but often misguided, now I'm convinced a great many of people are just self centered assholes with only their best interests in mind.

Because of this I'm less likely to help someone unless they have already proven to me that they are in fact genuinely in need of help and not just looking for someone to unload all their shit on or someone to take advantage of.

...damn it's early, I hope I articulated that properly.

12. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Well, yeah, when I went overboard on a certain member here that I know in person, that caused a lot of people to put me on their ignore list, which has caused me to have a hard time finding someone that will make a deal with me for a baged set of this years Botcon exclusives.

13. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

I always try to be a nice guy first, even if it's a situation that doesn't really warrant it. Granted, I, too, am not perfect, but I at least give it a concerted effort. The only difference with me is that I don't expect reciprocation that I do for people. The Coke merchandiser that used to work one of the stores I merchandise for Pepsi was having very hard times about a year back. He had so many troubles, you could see it in him. He came dragging in one morning to work and he could barely move. I asked him what was wrong (aside from exterior problems--it was quite evident there was something physically wrong with him). He said that he hadn't eaten in 3 days because he had no money. Even though I didn't have much on me at the time, I went and bought him a full breakfast and gave it to him. When I handed it to him, he said "Man, I can't pay you back, I can't take this!". I told him I didn't expect to be paid back. He never did, but it doesn't bother me. I was in a financial hardship at the time myself, so it put me in a little more of a bind, but I helped someone out that needed something. That was gratification enough for me.

14. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    D'oh, I made light of VS's unfortunate situation by making a tasteless and completely inappropriate remark.

15. McBradders

Yet you recovered by being a cheeky, yet charming, chap.

I salute you. No handed.

16. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    :3

Remind me to give Al some money at Botcon so I can buy you a beer and burrito by proxy upon his return to England’s green and pleasant Land.

17. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I haven't managed to screw myself yet. I figure it's only a matter of time though before I'm in some contorted position and accidentally blast myself in the eye.

18. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If we could, we'd never leave the house...

19. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I feel that it is good to be nice, but not too nice, as you will indeed be fucked over, time and time again. There is a fine line of being nice and too nice that I have crossed too many times and got burned each time.

20. Spartan-117

Spartan-117 Well-Known Member

Lemme think, all the damn time. I can't eat tonight because I just gave away the only money I had on me to my brother so he could go see his girlfriend.