Ever put off buying a figure because of the character?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ComicGuy89, Aug 11, 2011.

1. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Have you ever put off buying a Transformers figure that is appealing to you, simply because it was a character you disliked or even hated? Let's hear some stories!

2. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I never liked Hot Rod in any continuity. He irritated the crap out of me in the movie, then in the series, and even in the comics.
    What this boils down to is that I will not be getting the 'masterpiece' figure. Maybe it's my stilted opinion of the character, but nothing about that toy interests me in the least.

3. justamaze

justamaze Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Generations Drift, damn I now need him to complete my MISB collection.

4. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No. If there's a figure I want, I'll get it, regardless of what I think of the character. Sometimes, however, I will get toys that I otherwise wouldn't get just because I want the characters.

5. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Pretty much this, as even if I don't like the character's personality or whatever, I can still appreciate the toy in it's own context.

6. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    I buy Optimus Primes but don't care as much for Optimus Primal or whatever other beasts.

7. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I might put off buying a particular figure until later if I had to choose one between several, but I'd never actually pass on a figure because of disliking the character.
    Like I wouldn't start to dislike a figure if I bought it before I saw how the character acted in the media and he turned out to be a crap character.
    Generally, if a figure is good on its own merits then it'll probably end up in my collection regardless of character.

8. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nope. I only put it off because it looked like a crappy figure and I decided to wait until I saw some reviews and stuff.

9. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I only buy toys of characters I like. And then only if said toys are good.

10. 0MEGATR0N

0MEGATR0N Robot/Gladiator

I have a bigger problem with factions,I collect decepticons so its real tough buying any autobots.

11. Flyby33

Flyby33 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    whether i like or dislike a character is the last thing i think about when buying a tf. it has to be a good figure, despite who the character is. like or hate.

12. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I go with aesthetics/engineering over character. If it looks good and plays well, I'll buy it regardless of who it is and whether or not I like the actual character.

For example, I hate Huffer's character in G1, but I like the PCC version as well as iGear's design for his toy.

13. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    No, I only get a figure because I wanted to get it.

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Rarely.

15. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I don't think there are any terrible characters that have utterly fantastic toys. So, no.

I have, however, skipped a character I really liked when their toy was flat out disgusting (Universe Galvatron)

16. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    The only examples I can vaguely come up with would be ROTF Bludgeon and Generations Drift & Skullgrin. It's not that I dislike their characters - it's simply that they don't mean anything to me in terms of G1 character completion. So I wondered for quite a while whether or not I really needed their figures.

More often than not, it's the exact opposite that happens - where I buy a lot of figures that I might not necessarily like the molds/designs of or their character depictions, but I "need" them for completion sake. For example: Universe Galvatron, Generations Blurr, Masterpiece Rodimus, Universe Powerglide, etc.

17. JazzBot95

JazzBot95 Well-Known Member

Nope. There's no character I hate enough to completely skip a good toy of. I just mainly boy toys that I like, are good and I want on my shelf. Heck I'll buy generics to fill out myself and give them my own life if I like their design enough! But yeah I don't hate anyone enough to really skip on something I *might* like.

18. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Agreed to both.

I tend to not buy toys because of the toys themselves, and not the characters they portray. Galvatron and Onslaught being my main examples.

But there are always exceptions. I passed up Straxus for months because the character means nothing to me (and I don't think the Deluxe Class fits any Decepticon leader. Finally went and bought the toy and the experience was overall disappointing. Character means nothing, the toy is sub-par. Thing just sits in a box in the garage now.

19. Irish Carnage

Irish Carnage Instrument of Destruction

News Credits:
    Mudflap and skids. They're not allowed in my house ever

20. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The only figure/character I have a hard time buying is Rodimus.

Doesn't help that his Classics mold is quite disappointing in bot mode. It's a great looking car... but the lack of articulation in his bot mode is abhorrent. It amazes me how many times he was repainted AND how costly these repaints are in the aftermarkets.

I'd say part of it is attributed to the FP Protector armor... but they're still readily available for purchase... so that can't be the reason... I'm still perplexed.