Ever pass up a line and then regretted it years later?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by cowscows527, Nov 28, 2006.

1. cowscows527

cowscows527 Well-Known Member

Hello all,

Have any of you ever passed up a line/series and then regretted it years later? I never saw the appeal of Beast Wars growing up (I was about 11-13 when it started) and I never bought any toys or anything because I had it in my head that I had outgrown them, and the animals seemed "wierd".

Now that I'm older Beast Wars is my favorite toy/tv ever. I've purchased a good 50 beast war figures since January (for an unemployed college student, it's a pretty big number...) Not only have I passed up on Beast Wars, I'm suddenly finding the joy that is Beast Machines (I have Shane's "Obsidian's Lament" to blame for that). Now I'm trying to find Beast Machines toys off ebay like I did with Beast Wars. I'm also praying that they release a "10th anniversary Beast Machines line" with a few more important guys, but I'm not counting on it.

Anyone else do the same? It's a real nuisance. If I had appreciated them when they were in stores they would have been cheaper and easier to find. Thanks for any and all responses.

2. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Ive never wanted to pass on any line just havent had the funds for a line sometimes.

3. Crobot91

Crobot91 Daddy has lots of TFs...

News Credits:
    I'm in the same boat, I was a hard-core G1 fan for a long time. Never liked BW until a local comic shop was selling used BW DVD sets for real cheap; I figured why not.

Loved the show from start to finish; coincided with the tenth anniversary figures going on display. In about 6 months, I have bought every recognizable BW character (including Transmetal I Japanese Ravage!). Man, do I regret not getting the stuff when I originally had the chance in the late 90's (would've saved myself a bundle!).

However, the only TF line I've avoided entirely in my life is Beast Machines, but then again I've yet to see the DVD Boxset, lol...

4. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

I passed on RiD after getting the car brothers. I just didn't like them all that well. After getting some of other figures (Prime, Magnus, Rail team, and Build Team) I was a bit mad that I hadn't stuck with it.

5. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I've done that with almost every line since G2 ended.

BW - when it first came out, I was initially sceptical about animal Transformers. However, getting the McDonalds Happy Meal figures that came with little cards of all the characters made me want all the characters. But, I never got around to getting any of them, and eventually I decided it didnt matter. I only saw the show occassionally. But, in 2001 or whenever it was when I got Cryotek, I suddenly realized I everything I'd missed out on.

MW - this came out during BW and I never knew about it (since it was a KB exclusive and not widely advertised, this is not surprising). However, when I found out about it, I was still in my G1-loving state, and I noticed these were all repaints of European figures, so I wanted them. And I got all of them except Sandstorm (who I later got as Universe Whirl).

BM - I barely even knew this existed outside of a few commercials I'd seen. Didnt see a single episode of it. When I got back into the fandom, it seemed to be a very controversial topic. I looked at the toys, didnt really like most of them except Tankor. However, after Universe hit (and my initial impression with Cryotek), I realized a lot of the Vehicons were really really cool. The Maximals, however, I'm still not sold on, though I do prefer BM Blackarachnia to BW.

RiD - unlike BM, I was aware of this, and I initially thought it was stupid "because Prime was a firetruck instead of a rig, and the Car Bros looked like BW figures in robot mode" But after I realized BW was a good thing, I gave the line a chance. Cryotek knocked my socks off, and I realized I had to have Scourge, who was my favorite figure for a long time. Eventually I warmed up to Prime too and he turned out great. Axer, Gigatron, and Rail Racer were also very impressive.

Energon - Energon and Cybertron came along during my unemployed phase (which I'm still in) so I had to miss a vast portion of both of these lines. In retrospect, missing Energon wasnt such a bad thing, because almost all the Autobots were awful, and I got most of the figures I was interested in (Dreadwing, Galvatron, Shockwave, Dark Scorponok, some of the combiners) and they're all impressive. As for Cybertron, I missed even more of it than Energon (since it was a bigger line. So far I only got Scourge, Vector Prime and Starscream, Noisemaze, Ransack, and Override)

Luckily, I didnt pass on any of the Alternators, the one line I really care about. If things stay the way they are, I might even have to pass on the Classics (except Megatron who I already bought. And I'd really like to get Jetfire at some point)

6. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I have picked and chosen from nearly every line since Beast Machines. So far, I've just never seen a Beast Wars figure I really want.

7. Sludge

Sludge Formerly NC Bulkhead

News Credits:
    I started collecting the Alternators line. After the first few waves I decided to bail out. I sold the ones that I already had. Now I really regret it.

8. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

In a way, Alternators....i had the chance to get the ones i would of needed to complete the collection (to that point) but passed. Same goes now, there's 3 figures i constantly see that i still need but always pass on it (cause it's a repaint)...

and i regrest passing on RID Bruticus and Armada Laserbeak....those two were the only ones i was missing.

9. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Yeah I'm with you on BW...I was a total G1 purist when they came out so I hated the concept. I bought an original Dinobot since I recognized the name, then didn;t buy anything else until 2000 when I got TM2 Dinobot and Cheetor after seeing a couple episodes of the show and admitting it was pretty cool. Then I had to do the ebay thing after getting the box sets early this year dammit. I suck.

10. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Nope, I've never had any regrets and I have passed on all lines after Armada except for reissues. The only real regret I have is not starting my G1 collection earlier when they were cheaper, pre-beast wars.

11. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

If I regret not getting any other lines then G1, Alt/Binals and MP's ?
    mmmmm.................. no.
    I am pretty proud of my collection.

12. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Never missed a whole line but Kiss Play is comming close.

13. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

There have been individual toys I've regretted not getting or didn't have the money for but never a whole line. I see what's coming out and I get my favorites, simple as that. Been doing it since G1.

14. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Growing up w/ G1 I loved TFs...then the short hiatus and I too thought I was too old for toys. I missed maybe half of the G2 line, but after buying a few of the new G2 molds I rediscovered my love for TFs.

Not having the internet and awesome sites like TFW2005 to stay up to date w/ the hobby, I didn't know a thing about BWs until I wandered into my local TRU and saw them hanging there on the pegs. Once I realized they were legit TFs, the obsession became a reality.

So basically, I haven't missed anything since G1 (domestically speaking). As far as the Japanese stuff goes, I've imported a good chunk of every line since BW hit their shores.

15. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've never regretted not picking up any TFs.
    Usually I regret actually picking them up. (BW, BM, Most of Armada, Most of Energon)

16. Optimusfiretruck

Optimusfiretruck Decepitcon Squad Leader

RID and my biggest one was Reissuse. I was younger didnt have a job and really wasnt a huge fan of Tfs then. I walked into TRU and say UM and OP just setting on the shelf and i was like hey that is kewl they are bringing back some old stuff. But that is as far as the thought went.

17. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    I regretted not getting into BW sooner, and I did it for the same reasons most others have mentioned: I grew up on G1 and after G2 ended, I thought TFs were gone for good. Then I saw BW and first thought they were just trying to cash in on name recognition and that these toys were not true TFs (even if Hasbro's name was stamped on the plastic).

I was able to get some of the earlier toys like the first munky BW Primal (big black gorilla) and a few others. So I guess I've never really skipped an entire US-released line completely before.

Unless you count Animorphs. Didn't the folly of "Manimal" teach toymakers anything?!

And I'm probably going to pass on the movie toys as well. Not that those are as bad as Animorphs. *shudder*

18. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

I passed up most of Armada, only getting a Tidal Wave after hearing praise from the fandom (and a sale at KB Toys, netting me a free Dark Saber), and later selling it out of general disinterest. Oh, and I hated the Dark Saber team, a lot. I probably would have been a lot happier with the Sea Team instead. I don't regret missing anything from Armada except Nemesis Prime. That really is it, meh.

When RID started, I had dealt with mostly disliking Beast Machines a lot, and had only mild hopes for it. When it started, I thought it was ok, but got more and more disinterested with it (and the fandom) by the middle of the line. Passed up every single toy in the line, even Scourge, but my bro got X-Brawn, who wasn't too bad. Even after trying a couple of figures, Scourge and Cryotek are still the only figures I'm even close to interested in, and neither are RID sculpts proper.

I only "passed" on early BW stuff because of a lack of money and access to them, otherwise I'd have been first in line for Terrorsaur and Dinobot (the former, I already got long ago, before complete ones started selling for crazy prices). Didn't pass on Energon, but I sold all of it save Shockblast, and what little I have of Cybertron, I love (but can't afford the space for Prime). I passed on most Alts by the time Smokescreen and Side Swipe finally disappeared from stores.

Right now, I am passing on Titanium entirely, and that is a decision I could regret in the future! But so long as line is plagued with bad sculpts and poor know-how in the ways of designing diecast transforming robots, I won't mind much.

19. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm having to pass up Classics due to space and financial constraints, and I'm regretting already.

I also regret not being more into G1 during the 80s, I particularly regret passing up on Jetfire, Trypticon and the Dinobots (minus Swoop) who were available in abundance (seemingly) where I lived *sigh*.

20. Aberration

Aberration Templar Rodimus

News Credits:
    I watched Beast Wars back in the day, but thought I was "too old for toys" at the time. As a result, it cost me a huge chunk of change over the past year to assemble a season 1 Maximal crew, especially since I went for some of the more show-accurate Takara versions.