Ever own a figure, lost or sold it only to find out that it's costly to replace?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Automorpher, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    Hi all,

Had this question sitting in my head for a long time so I thought I would ask the Fandom.

Have you ever own a TF figure, then lost it, sold it or whatever etc & then found it hard to replace? (Primarily with it being costly now)

Myself:

Sold a complete Diaclone Swoop about a decade ago only to realize that I can't bear to part with that much $$$ to "own" him again. :redface2: 

Let's hear your story...

2. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nope, anything I have gotten rid of since I started actually collecting was a double or I really didn't want to begin with.

Only ones I have gotten rid of that I didn't want to was all my originals from when I was a kid and my mom threw those away..

3. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well to be honest, the only whole figure that really fits that bill for me would be the FE Bulkhead. Like, I knew they were in demand at the time of picking one up for my friend, but I didn't think there'd be such a fiasco for the stuff, let alone that it'd last as long as it did. Not like I regret it or anything, but it seemed to qualify for the thread so that's what I posted hah.

Other than that though, I learned (or confirmed, depending hah) that losing parts to a toy means that in terms of completing it quickly without a good amount of luck anyway, you might as well have lost the whole thing in many cases. :( 

4. perithimus

perithimus Well-Known Member

G1 Star Saber. I just can't afford to replace it at the moment. I had to sell it to pay off bills.

5. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Fortress Maximus!

News Credits:
    at this point of time, thank god.

6. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    Have sold nothing, so nothing for me.

7. MachSabre

MachSabre Blackmarket T-Cog Dealer

Yes, Powermaster Optimus Prime. He was my favorite toy as a child, and during several moves over the years, I lost him. (Or parts of him, Still had the trailer and a couple of the guns, but not the Prime unit.) And when his reissue came out in the early 2000s, I was unemployed at the time and I couldn't afford it then. Years passed, and I always regretted never getting him. Then this year, I had my bills caught up on... Bought the reissue off Amazon. Sure, it was expensive, and costly as hell. But for me, a $150 was a small price to pay to have a happy childhood memory back. (And then some, since this one came as an improved toy, since it was the Japanese version of the mold.)

8. and2ng

and2ng Examples, Stupid!

News Credits:
    Nope. Have never replaced any items that I've sold. Heh, I sell them because I don't want/have no need for them anymore.

As for replacing lost items, so far, that situation has not happened yet.

Oh wait, there was this DOTM Cyberverse Megatron playset and I broke one of Megatron's arm. Since it was a transformation joint, supergluing back in place is not a good option, so I just went back to the store and buy another one for replacement.

9. Yaujta

Yaujta Broken. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    During my hiatus from collecting, I sold off some figures that seemed to be taking up space. One of them was Beast Wars Scorponok.
    That was a dumb move because now that I weally want him back in my collection, I just can't find a good deal on one.

10. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    Nope, what I meant:

The figure doesn't need to be sold. It could be a case of mishandling, resulting in a really bad breakage & you need to replace the figure/part.

Of course, there could be reasons like "financial difficulties, liquidation, family commitments, etc." Or a whole lot of other reasons which may contribute to the "loss" of certain figure(s).

11. CybertronStreak

CybertronStreak Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, in fact three of them which were stolen from my room to be given to my baby nephew because they were too cheap to buy toys for him. They were Super Link Starscream, Classics Astro Train, and Energon Snowcat, and they were completely destroyed.

12. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    There was similar thread on replacing parts on lost figures iirc. I do remember posting that I had to replace my old G1 Micromaster Airwave, which I lost as a kid nearly 20 yrs ago. Other than that and as of late, I've sold nothing, broke nothing, so it's still nothing.

13. zephon

zephon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ditto with me.

Another one is Energon Omega Sentinel.

....to a certain degree there's also Energon Quickstrike (I remember getting a digital thermometer with the funds from the sale)

14. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

Welcome to why-I-buy-multiple-of-figures-I-like-and-very-rarely-sell-anything...

15. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    armada predacon was my favorite figure as a kid but it's broken. the thing is ridiculously expensive now.

16. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    I sold a tonne/all of my G1 childhood collection including a boxed complete Fort Max about 5/6 years ago which if I would have kept hold of probably would be worth even more now but I don't regret it. It was before I got back into the game and I saw £££ signs.

I have recently bought Jetfire again and it isn't in the awesome condition my childhood one was or complete but I'm already thinking about selling it again to get a 1/48 Valk to custom into Jetfire....the old G1 toy is just too rigid for me.

17. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

RtS Windcharger still hurts man, still hurts. And I can blame no one for it but my own self, for the most part.

See, my parents bought me this thing out of town because he was impossible to find at Retail, right? Few days later while moving figures around to take some quick photos I put figures on the windowsill.

At the time my brother had recently gotten a kitten, and my mother insisted on letting it in my room even when I had the door shut so it could look out the window. So I figured it would be ok to let him in while I was doing work because he was a good kitty and didn't get in the way of stuff. (Especially since he slept most of the time anyway under my T-V or somewhere else.)

Leastwise I think I was the one to let him in... Or in hindsight it might have been a case of, left to go to the bathroom and he ran in when I opened the door because he was feeling lonely. The point is he was in my room, he jumped on the winowsill, he knocked over all the classics and things I had stashed there while doing the photo shoot, everybody fell over.

When I saw the results at first I just figured he'd popped a leg off the balljoint, an easy fix. Let me tell you, that is most assuredly not what happened!

And to this day my only Windcharger toy can't stand in robot mode because his leg snapped the ball joint clean off at the hip bone, no amount of super gluing will fix it for whatever reason (consistency of the plastic, the type of break it was.) and I haven't been able to replace him with a fully functional Windcharger yet.

It was the single most worse break of any toy in the history of breakage in my collection. I was royally cheesed off at the cat after it happened and I realized what happened, he was just being a cat though. That's kind of with the territory when owning a pet who likes to climb, there's been some issues with him jumping on my high shelves and knocking everything around, but fortunately nothing else has broken. (Except for PCC Salvage, but all that happened with him was the Commander's head snapped off, so he can't combine with drones because he'll be headless, I could care less about that. Salvage isn't the best from the PCC figures anyway and I still haven't been able to get any Drone sets anyway. He's still a fully functional transformer.)

Can't wait for that Ikea to finally open so I can get some good, solid glass display cases for my room and get rid of old outdated, open air shelving units that aren't practical with a cat in the house anymore.

18. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    liokaiser

19. GreednGluttony

GreednGluttony grumpy smurf

i'm a packrat, so i never get rid of anything

20. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Fortress Maximus!

News Credits:
    yeouch. :(