Ever not buy a toy because of the character?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Phoenix Blaze, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

Well? Have you? I imagine most people have at some point.

For example, I have major issues with buying Primes. I have Masterpiece and Alternator, and the Alt. was just because I wanted to spend some cash. Bumblebee too, even the HA one which looks to be awesome. I don't like BB and I therefore have one BB, the classics, which was a pretty cool toy (so maybe it's just movie BB I don't like).

But yeah, I just....for Prime it's because he's so popular, and been done to death, but, I doubt I'll ever buy a Megatron as G1 Megatron isn't my cup of tea. Or a movie BB ever ever ever as I just don't like him. Even the most amazing toy cannot cover-up a bad character for me. Although, Buster Prime does interest me, I doubt I'll buy such a great toy as, well it's Prime. Paint him which and call him Magnus and I might feel different about it.

The same applies, where I might buy crappy toys for a good character.

2. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can't say it's bothered me. Usually my opinion of the toy itself determines whether or not I'd buy it.

3. AMG

AMG Old School

G1 Wheelie, that's about it.

4. Stune

Stune Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I had ROTF Skdis before the movie came out, and was so dead set on completing the pair, but the toy didn't become available till after I saw it. It totally turned me off of the pair. Although the HA Line might beg to differ judging from the Mudflap prototype shown at SDCC

5. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

No offense, and other weasel words, but I think it's pretty daft to miss out on a great toy because you don't like how it was portrayed in a show or movie. And for balance, I also think it's daft when people insist on buying a complete show/movie cast to the exclusion of other figures.

6. Autoclot

Autoclot Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever passed on a toy solely on the character, although the "characters" of TFA Grimlock and Snarl (as far as they were developed) did add weight to my decision not to buy the toys.

A good character, however, can lead me to buy a toy I'd previously decided against or was at least on the fence about.

TFA Sentinel Prime was a resounding "meh" from me for a long time, but a lack of other new stuff to buy along with good charactrisation led me to buy what I now consider to be one of the coolest toys in my collection.

Similarly, I was dead set against getting the TFA jet twins when I first saw the toys. Once I saw them in the cartoon, I had to have them.

Gha... why did TFA have to create such engaging characters??? Whilst my inner child loves the writers for it, my wallet despises them.

7. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    absolutely not, i buy a toy only on its qualities as a toy alone, the character, screen accuracy or scale (to mention other things) matter not a jolt to me. in fcat I cannot understand anybody who wouldnt buy a toy because of its charcter/scale issues/screen accuracy.

8. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod LarzArz on twitter, man.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If I really like a character, I might but the toy based of them, regardless of how much it might suck.
    Other than that, I just buy the toys I think look good.

9. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've only really avoided getting Skids and Mudflap. Mainly because their characters are annoying, but also because I hate the head sculpts.
    I'll end up getting the HA versions, though. My daughter likes them.

10. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

Can't say as I honestly have that level of hate for any character that would make me not buy the toy.
    And I've never really bought into the whole, "Oh I'm not going to buy that character, cause everyone loves that character", sort of thing. That kind of seems like cuting off your nose to spite your face.

On the flipside, I've had figures of characters I did like, but didn't buy; cause I thouht the figure just sucked.
    *CoughUniversIronhideCough*

11. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Actually, the opposite is true for me. Armada Sideways is a brick (if only he had knees), but his character convinced me to pick him up.

12. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

I make it my own personal policy to not do that anymore.

I almost didn't buy Sentinel Prime cuz of his character on animated was d bag, but I love that toy.

Same with the twins from ROTF.I don't like them in the movie but they'r human alliance figures look neat.

13. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    I only buy toys of characters that I like.

14. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm trying to think of an instance where I may have done that but nothing is coming to mind.

15. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Nope.

16. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Are you afraid of the dark?

I have TFA Sentinel Prime. Love the toy, hate every durned thing about the character.

17. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

It was originaly just TFA Sentinel Prime, then reviews of it being a good deluxe and the events of "Predacons Rising" made me think about picking him up when I got the cash. I'm planning on picking up a type "Spoon" Busou Shinki, and she'll make a good SP fangirl:lol 

18. arcee3

arcee3 Well-Known Member

Jar Jar is about the only character that turned me off the toy. With TF, the toys are so cool regardless of the character. If worse comes to worse, I can always pretend their character was completely different. :D 

19. Necare

Necare Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    HOTROD!! AND RODIMUS PRIME!!! THAT BASTARD GOT PRIME KILLED! I refuse to EVER buy any of his character EVER. That is the only character/toy that I REFUSE to EVER buy.

The manufacturers made a big blunder when they killed off Prime to get more money and so I could be noble and say it is the principle of the thing but I just hate that guy. He sucked as an autobot, and sucked as a leader too.

If I saw him leaking oil, half dead on the side of the road with decepticons eating his remaining energon, I'd take my car and back over him a few times and then sledgehammer his head in...

bastard!!!

20. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I think I love you, Necare. Although Hot Rod toys are generally awful, so I enjoy picking them up cheap to mock.