Customs: Ever lose the drive?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by OMEGAPRIME1983, May 31, 2011.

1. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The reason I ask is because I feel like ive lost interest in not just collecting, but customizing too :/. Anyone else go through this?

2. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    i got stuck on one not long ago and fell into the same rut, back away for a few and it will come back to you (something will peak your interest for me it was perceptor sniper rifles)

which lead me to an aspect of customizing i had not yet messed with casting.

breaks are good man

3. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Multiple deadlines, stress and so on kill my creative drive. Burnout sucks and it's the reason I'm not working at Marvel comics now. Trying to avoid it now but it's tough. Don't let it stall you.

4. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Yeah, I have. In fact, I'm in a long rut right now. I haven't done a full on custom in quite a while. I have a black Rodimus, but my inability to find some good SG stickers are holding that one up. Besides that, I just haven't wanted to do any customs.

5. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

I hear you man. I feel burned out about 3-4 times a year. But it only takes a little bit of inspiration to get you back going, for me anyways. I honestly cant see myself "not" customizing. So hopefully i grow old with a dremel in my right hand, a toy in the other. in a perfect world maybe, lol.

you'll get back into the groove!

6. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've got two main customs waiting in the wings (TFTM Jazz arm re-design & HftD Ratchet leg re-design) that made it past the sketch phase, so they're all worked out in my head, but actually putting in the time & taking the risks has halted their progress...

I'm also moving panels on ROTF Jolt & still need to do something with 74 BB, but BB's prolly at the bottom of that sad list.

With me, it's the fear or failure, running out of materials, or just being lazy - I usually have to knock something out in about a week, or I lose interest...

Need to find a cheap tuner ROTF MF, so I can finish a simple mod to him too...

7. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks guys, kinda glad to hear I'm not the only one who goes through this!. I've got 2 commissions going, and 3 personal projects I just can't seen to find the energy to finish lately :/. I feel really bad about the commissions too :( 

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I think everyone who's done this long enough goes through a rut at one point or another. I've been in some myself. It's like most of the rest of life - there's always good times and bad. :) 

9. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

While I haven't exactly lost my desire to customize, I do find I haven't done any real work on anything for some time because of my work schedule. And when I do get days off, I prefer to loaf about and do nothing all day.

Trying to change that though. I have a lot of ideas to offer that for personal reasons I would prefer not to share until they see some execution.

10. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I had some stuff that got in the way of a commission. It just made it difficult to focus and dedicate myself to the project. I finally finished and am excited to be moving on to other things.

I'd say that I'm more burned out over collecting, but it may be because a lot of the later RTS and Generations releases never reached my area (or they did, but I was too apathetic to look) and I'm trying to find these figures. In the meantime, I'll just cut up and melt what I have to make something entirely new :) 

11. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

^ This. =)

As you've seen, you're absolutely not the only one. I have a consistent work schedule and trying to fit kids and sleep in the remaining time, I have very little extra to work with. I have at least 4-5 projects I started that are waiting for either priming/painting or more modding. Though, my casting project was on hold also for lack of funds for resin and waiting for warmer weather...

But the drive also varies depending on the subject material. I'm totally burnt out with all the movie designs, so the lack of classic or generations toys also is a mood/drive killer for me.

12. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hear that - I work over 10 hours a day 4 days a week & rarely have my day off off, normally assigned a "honey-do" or have to have dinner with friends....

13. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I don't do customs but there was a point where I was losing the drive to collect.

With some luck something will come about that will peek your interest again. For me it was Transformers returning to the America. And I mean the cartoon, between AEC and Bay movies I was a step away from calling it quits.

Animated, Classics and 3rd party stuff reawakened my love for TFs.

Love is a weird beast, you will never love something forever consistantly. As the song goes "In and out of love!" With some luck you are just on the low end of love right now and it will burn bright again.
    The other side of it is that maybe you just changed and TFs aren't part of your life anymore. And because you mentioned DRIVE I will have to ask if you find yourself in a state of depression? Depression kills your drive to do anything.

14. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    They were saying on the radio the other day that the brain can sense change. We should take off at least one day of work at least every two months, or we'll grow weary. Our brains will pick up the change and it'll help get juices flowing again.

I haven't been customizing very long, and not very intensely, so I have yet to experience a burn out there. I also have the job and kids that keeps me busy. I'm lucky if I can get an hour or so in the evening to do any major modding.

Yesterday I did get pretty frustrated. I broke a piece on my RotF Bumblebee that I'm modding. Then I thought I had a RotF Starscream hand mod complete but the hand later broke and I spilled glue on one of the joints. But I've had time to think over both setbacks and have some ideas in place to move pass them...

I haven't really ever burnt out from collecting, either. I try to pace myself and not get more than one toy per store visit. And I only go to the stores if I have to get something else, rarely just to toy hunt. Plus it helps I only collect Bayverse compatible toys...

15. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

Exactly. I work 10-hour days, and my schedule isn't exactly "4 days on, 3 days off". A good example is right now, I have today and tomorrow off then work 5 straight, and only get a single day off after that. If I get a day off on the weekend, it's a day with the girlfriend. And I usually have other things to get taken care of if I'm off on a weekday.

I did, however, get to building my custom Nightbird today. Paint should be done tomorrow, then I'll let it sit and cure while I work those 5 straight.

16. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    now that think about it i have been dodging my constructicons (im stuck on hooks waist) and have been entirely unmotivated to finish

17. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

I generally have a theme going on for a while, maybe I'll be doing lots of combiners, or lots of red robots, and then when I run out of those to do, I take a break for a while, until the next trend comes up.

So yeah, all of us would've gone through that some time or other.