Ever help someone out?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by transformers32, Nov 29, 2007.

1. transformers32

transformers32 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just wondering when you people are out looking for transformers and you see confused parents in the transfomers section do you ever help them out? I did this afternoon and it made me feel really good that i was able to help her out. I just hope the kid will be as excited as i was finding transfomers under there tree as i was when i was a kid. Just wondering since christmas is nearly here...

2. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Couple of times, latest was a nice lady looking to buy movie figs for her 5-year old, i suggested fast action battlers instead of deluxes which need a softer touch not to fall apart. It does feel good to help out.

3. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have before, and just last night actually I tried. I would say I did help her out and not just "tried", but based on what her kid told her, even I was confused. She was saying something about how he wanted battle damaged figures. Ok, I'm following so far, but then she said he told her the packaging was different. There were some other things, and I told her what I knew, but shelves are pretty bare again right now. Sometimes I wonder how department stores can possibly keep shelves stocked during the holidays when they can hardly do it during slow periods. I'm pretty sure there are a ton of toys not on shelves that are just sitting back there due to lack enough good help. I'm not just talking out of frustration, I have been told now by several managers and standard employees at about 6 places I go to that they're are backed up and haven't been able to get things out on shelves.

4. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Roll out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I remember my brother and I were in Target, and some woman stopped me and said she needed a present for her 6-year-old nephew, wondering if I had any suggestions. Of course, I led her straight to the Transformers section, and recommended a Cybertron Deluxe. She said "Oh! Transformers! I remember these! He'll love one!" And thus justice was served.

5. theLostSeeker

theLostSeeker Well-Known Member

It happened to me a couple of times. I often help out parents, or grandparents with their choice in Transformers or Star Wars figures. But only when they look overwhelmed and perplexed by the figures in front of them. It always feels good to help someone out, not only with toys, but in general.

6. domientius

domientius Well-Known Member

Some parent was mulling over LOC Jazz or Barricade at TRU. I told her to get Barricade, though I kept my mouth shut about Jazz being such a disappointing sculpt.

7. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I've helped out a couple times, especially since I wear my Autobot hat around. Peopl see it and ask if I know anything about them. I had to break the news to a lady that the Concept Bumblebee is still pretty rare. I felt bad. But she still seemed pretyy relieved to know it at least exists.

8. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

A few weeks ago a lady and her mother were in TRU looking at the TFs, trying to find a Bumblebee. I had just gone to Target, and they had some of those Evolution of a Hero sets. I told them about it, and they were really thankful, but I hope they still had them there!

I try to help others out concerning TFs. Hopefully I don't seem too weird in the process. :lol 

9. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    Yep, sure have. One of the parents I remember was looking for a birthday gift for their son who wanted the concept BB at a time where you couldn't find ANY new deluxes. They were searching at TRU, who never stock up, so I told them to check Wal-marts later that night. I wonder if they ever got a BB for their son?

10. 04GHOST

04GHOST Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Im trying to help out my buddy at work find Voyager Optimus for his 4yr old son (plese see my thread in the WANTED section). They are having a very hard time finding Optimus other than going the ebay route. Hopefully I will be able to help him out. Granted his son is quite a bit younger than I was when I recieved my first Transformers back in Christmas 1985, but it reminds me of the excitement of getting them for the first time.

11. omega ranger

omega ranger Well-Known Member

Helped a nice lady out for a Leader Optimus on Black Friday. Told her to check the other Wal-Mart, where I saw a big display of leaders. She took the Robot Replica set that I wanted, so she helped me out to find the Search for the Pirate Moon set (which I did find).

12. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Daily. I mean, I work in a freakin' toy store.

But on top of that, yes, sometimes if I'm in the toy section at a department store I will lend my services and recommendations. Usually have my KB Toys shirt on still.

13. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

Some older guy sighed in the toy aisle. You could tell he needed help.
    He was looking up and down until he came to the TFs where I was.
    He smiled and then said, "so many. I can't tell em apart."

I said, "Like I give a sh*t" and walked away.

It does feel good to interact during the holidays.

:p 

14. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I told a parent to avoid SWTFs once. Back when they REALLY sucked.

Today could have told some people stuff (There was a guy eying Leader Brawl, and another kid eying Deluxe Longarm) but my whole "It's crowded, get the hell out of there" thing kicked in.

15. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I've helped a couple of people put before, mostly just helping them get stuff from off the top of shelves, being tall is useful.

I helped a parent in TRU find the movie deluxes. She was looking for a TF for her kid, and the only £9.99 ones out in the big TF display were Cybertron Skywarps.

No kids deserves that cruelty, so I showed her the normal TF section and in that section was at least one of every wave 1 figure. I advised her of the breakage problems with BB and then left her to it.

16. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I try to help out occasionally, though only if someone asks, since not everyone appreciates 'volunteer' help. Recently I was helping someone who asked if I worked at the Wal-Mart, because she caught me putting stuff back up on the pegs instead of leaving them strewn about the shelf. There I tried to explain the difference between FAB movie toys and regular deluxes (and that regular deluxes were tougher to find thanks to popularity and ebay scalpers :)  )

I do notice that confused parents tend to give more credibilty to store employees than "random guy in the same aisle", even if they don't really know that much. The parent got to learn that while Cyb. Wing Saber combines with Optimus Prime, it does NOT combine with the Galaxy Force Optimus Prime repaint, since it's not explicitly mentioned on the box. :) 

17. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I have a time or two. Usually if I end up seeing someone parental looking and desperately lost I'll ask if they need help. The only time where there's been a problem is when the store is wiped out.

18. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I helped a lady the other day at a TRU. She asked the workers if they made Prime in a Deluxe size. They had just restocked so they had a ton of them on the pegs...even concept BB. The workers didn't know so she started going through them. Finally I told her that they didn't make them in that size. She was grateful for not having to dig through the bursting pegs of product.

19. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    One time I helped a Grandma find an Energon Scorponok. I helped someone else recently but I forget for what. Sometimes I help short people get stuff from the overhang shelves since I'm such a tall stud.

20. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Yeah, I've wound up helping people out in stores - and not just with Transformers. On Black Friday, a woman asked me if I thought that a set of Armor All car care products would be a good gift for her nephew, who is a bit of a car nut. She also volunteered that he has enlisted with the Marines and will go to basic training on graduation. I advised her to consider gifts that he would be able to use in training or if (when...) sent overseas, like books or a Nintendo DS. This hadn't occurred to her and she thought it was a great idea.

So yeah, I like helping when I can. I figure it's improving my karma.

Off-topic: Me want title match!