Ever have one of those moments?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Wreckgar, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Where you don't know what you are holding until later on?

I was at TRU the other day checking out stuff and they got the new McFarlane NHL series in. I already got my Ryan Miller but checked to see what other figures they had. Well they did have a Alenander Ovechkin in white. I looked at it but ended up putting it down. I only get Buffalo and Chicago players. Well I was just checking online and apparently the white one is the variant. DAMMIT!

Because NHL 17 didn't put pictures of the figures on the back, I didn't know and I just found out because a site has them listed. God I hate when that happens. I wouldn't have kept it in the long run but I would have thrown it in my booth at NYCC or throw it to a friend who collects them.

So has this kind of stuff happened to you guys recently?

2. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Did that with an Armada Nemesis Prime... found out later how rare it was and it was, of course, gone by the time I went back. Luckily I found one about a year back MOSC for retail but I kicked myself in the head for a long time over that one.

3. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Yep. :( 

Wave 1 Marvel Legends. The Iron Man variant. Didn't realize at the time there were variants. At the time I was all "Pfft. I don't need another Iron Man"

:( 

4. Maximum Burn

Maximum Burn JETS AND HELI!! I LIKEY!

Sigma 6 dragonhawks on sale...

Also, about three cybertron metroplex, two primus, and 15 classics jetfire all on one self. And I walked out empty handed because I was looking for movie figures.

5. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    I saw an Alt Mirage in a Target like a year or so back, 4-5 months before the movie toys came out. They had a bunch of leftover Alts every so often, and I passed on Mirage - all of them actually. Now of course I finally am into Alts and will pretty much never see them in stores again, and now see how sought after Mirage is too. D'oh.

6. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Energon Ultra Magnus, RID Scourge, RID trainbots, Any/all Energon combiner limbs...

Other than that, I'm usually informed enough to know what I'm doing half the time.

7. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    $15.00 Target Exclusive Magmatrons at the local Hasbro store (closed down right before Armada started), MONTHS before he was to be released. God I still hate myself for passing that up. Now he's fetching like $35 on evilBay, before shipping.:mad 
    Luckily scoring a R.I.D. Megabolt Megatron months in advance while you were all still gawking at prototype pictures made up for it.:D 

A Star Wars Micromachines R2-D2 playset at a KB Toys Outlet store.

I passed on these three instances due to having little money on hand at the time:

1.-Passing on the Target Exclusive Universe Nemesis Prime, but I was really short on cash.
    2.-Many Xevoz figures for cheap at the same KB Toys Outlet store.
    3.-Many Zoids kits for cheap at the same KB Toys Outlet store.

Anything else I passed up was really due to me being tight on cash and having to choose between one thing or the other, so those decisions never haunted me.

Very rarely do we have sales/great deals on good toys here, let alone the availability good toys. DC Superheroes Batman figures are impossible to find. You have to be in the right place at the right time to find something worth buying.

Lots of scalpers lurk in Rhode Island, and many more seep in from the surrounding states. I've seen a bunch of them show up and hit ALL the stores I go to in the course of 1 day (Friday, Saturday, and/or Sunday).
    :scalper 
    It's always the same guys (& gals too). One guy who looks like Michael Bay scalps all my favorite toylines. Another guy and his wife are a team du force to be reckoned with, especially when it comes to Star Wars figures. And one real ugly lady scalps all the hot wheels & superhero figures.

^This is why the only things I buy today are Transformers, Legos, and whatever Star Wars figures I want that I happen to find. Damn you you McQuarrie Fett! You still elude me!

8. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Energon Ultra Magnus... but to be fair, I wasn't really hard core into collecting at the time. It was more like, "cool, I remember Ultra Magnus when I was younger.|

9. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hmm. Before I ever started collecting again I saw Armada Unicron on sale at TRU for about $18 or so, I actually considered getting him at the time but didn't really want to. Also before I started collecting more I passed up on certain Cybertron figures, such as Galvatron and Leobreaker, and I could have gotten Nemesis Breaker, SD Scattorshot, and Evac on sale. Actually I passed on an Alternator Shockblast for $25, I think it was complete but I didn't actually check. I was in a hurry and wasn't paying attention to which Alt he was.

Fortunately I've gotten some good deals over time that have vastly outweighed any of these instances. Like the RID Prime at Value City for $11.

10. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My same answer for every thread like this:
    Passing on Alt Swerve. :deadhorse: 

11. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Gah, I essentially did that twice. The first time I bought him retail and decided, meh, just a red repaint of Tracks, so I sold him on eBay and was happy to make a cool $5-$10. Second time I saw him at the same Target I knew where he might end up, so pass. Now I'm in Alternators withdrawal and would gladly own a Swerve. :( 

12. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    since we in Sweden never getsit ut I hade one lucky thing happen.

THe unmasked Wolverine from Marvel was jus sitting there at Toys r US in sweden when it was going for really high. I hid it and went home to check and then went back and bought it. Since I new many ppl wanted it I made a little contest on a smal board I visit and the winner got it for free.

13. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I have a REALLY bad one. When I was a kid I got to choose one Transformer or toy (I almost never got them by the way). In one hand I held a He-Man and in the other SHOCKWAVE.....Yeah I chose He-Man thinking he was cooler than Shockwave. WHY?!?!?! I thought I would get Shockwave some other time. I still to this day do not own a Shockwave and I had no idea how rare he would become and of course pricey. By the way I still have the He-Man if someone wants to trade for Shockwave. :) 

EDIT: Sorry didn't see about the "recently" remark. It is still pretty bad though

14. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Alt. Swerve back at the beginning of Cybertron. Passed on him to get Ransack and Overhaul. :( 

15. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    25th Anniversary Flint.

I could've had him 3 or 4 times, for $5.99 each (Target).

I could've kept one, and sold the other 2 or 3 for $50 each on eBay. Now, I don't even have one for my collection. :cry 

16. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I did the same thing before..

Hadn't been collecting for years, looked at it, thought "cool" and put it back down.

Not until many years later when I got back into collecting and found out about alternators and other things did I realize what a mistake it was.

I passed on a lot of alts in my time. Wish I hadn't, the only two I have are Skids and Rollbar.

17. rattrap23

rattrap23 Cossak

I was in the u.s. at a KB toys and passed on the energon recolor of demolisher and cyclonus.i thought they whould be everywhare but then i went home and found out they where exclusives.insted i bought a rerdiculusly overpriced commererative series sideswipe,the gun eventualy broke on it.

18. Strikeback

Strikeback Drifting Away

I did that with Target-exclusive TFU Nemesis Prime (the mammoth), Energon Omega Sentinel and Marvel Legends Red Skull.

:fail

19. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

I had the chance to purchase Alt. Mirage. I got Optimus Prime instead. I think I made the best decision at the time. Wish I had gotten him anyway, he's a cool mold.

This kinda crap happens to me all the time at a toy show or yard sale. I usually wuss out because I'm low on money or I'm looking for something else. Oh well.

20. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I once saw Energon Unicron at KBToys for $18 but at the time it was Xmas season and I didn't want to draw attention to myself by asking a employee there to get it for me (it was on top of a shelf). I had to spend more for a loose one later. Doh.

I actually found and bought 3 Alt Mirages and returned one of them because the strip on the hood has bit of wear to it but I regretted it later since I could have used it as trade fodder.

I also passed on alt Swerve more than once cuz I got Binaltech Tracks in yellow and blue already and was tired of the mold but I could have gotten them to trade as well.

Last one is Energon Galvatron. I should have bought it and sold my Energon Megatron since Galvy's got much better color scheme. That's why I later bought Cybertron Galvy despite having Meg already.