Ever have any animals secretly living in your home?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SoundMaster, Apr 6, 2009.

1. SoundMaster

SoundMaster Likes RID Bulkhead.

News Credits:
    Last October, I was eating dinner. From across the room, I heard noises coming from the plants. I decided to go over and look, and I saw nothing.

Periodically, we heard sounds coming from from the plants for months, but we never found anything. We searched in every pot, with flashlights, and still couldn't find anything.This happened for months, usually two times a month.

Earlier today, my mom and I decided to sit down next to the plants and play a game of monopoly. Around thirty minutes in, we heard noises in one of the pots. We looked in the pot that had noise coming from it, and the head of a frog pops out. We took the pot outside, and the frog jumped out to the porch.

We looked into the pot, and appearently, the frog had been burrowed under the dirt, so we couldn't see him.

What really surprised me has the fact that he was able to survive from October to April. Well, it was a nice surprise.

This brings up the question, have you ever had any unexpected animals live in your house for a long time, and never knew?

2. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Cool frog story

Squirrels live inside the walls here, and birds always nest in the chimney, that's about it.

3. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    rabbits live on my front lawn, and we've had mice get into the garage before but that's about it. We've got 5 dogs, 2 of which are schnauzers (very good dogs at finding rodents), so if anything ever did get in, they would have tracked it down

4. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

We've caught about ten mice above the stove since the Hurricane. While not living in the house, an opossum wader in the other night through a hole in our screen door. The dog attacked him, and I had to sweep him out the door with a broom. fun times.

5. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Pretty sure my sophomore year of college we had some bats living in the air ducts. We were on the 17th floor, or whatever, which is the top floor.

The neighbors to my parents had a den of foxes under their back patio. While frightening for neighborhood pets, it was cute to watch 4 or 5 baby foxes playing in the snow last winter.

6. Vexza

Vexza Nerdicon

Hmm. At the beginning of every autumn we usually have some sort of animal in our attic. This year it was a raccoon with three baby raccoons! Tried to attack the guy that came to get them... scared the crap out of everybody.

We had a mouse living in our kitchen up until recently. It ate a bite of every Rice Krispie Treat we had, so naturally I was pissed.

7. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

We've had mice and hornets take up residence in our walls, before. A bat got the house last year. We thought it flew back out, but two later, I found him hanging out with my Optimus Prime collection. I grabbed a pair of leather work gloves, and managed to trap him between my hands, without putting any pressure directly on the bat. Once I got him outside, he flew off on his own. I was not expecting to see that little face looking back at me, when I looked up at the Prime shelf.

8. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

I had a bum cousin sucking up my air and food for a few months. Does that count?

9. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Nothing major, and nothing for too long, but, we've had mice, a bird or two, a bat, and plenty of spiders., and that's only inside our house. The mice weren't too bad a couple of years ago, but ever since our one dog died, they've been coming back every year a little more and more. He never did kill any of them, but he did scare them off. Though he did dig up at least three moles in our back yard and killed them (I'm not joking about that either). Our dog we still have (same breed, just smaller) will bark when he hears or smells one, but hasn't been successful in scaring any away. We've got plenty of birds, squirrels, and stray cats that hang around our house, along with plenty of rabbits and ground hogs that live under our barn and shed. Even out of all of that, the only one's we put any effort into getting rid of are the mice that take refuge in the house. Pretty much everything else we actually put food out for. Mostly seed for the birds, but we also grow a small (well, small compared to a farm) patch of corn every year, so whatever we don't pick and eat the squirrels, rabbits, and groundhogs usually get before it rots away. It's actually kinda funny to watch one of the groundhogs getting at the corn, cause you'll see a stock slowly bend down, stay down for a little bit, and then pop back up. Yeah, this is an unusually long post :D 

10. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Only spiders.

Which really pisses me off, since I have big time arachnophobia.

11. Chaos Muffin

We never had mice problems until we got a male cat. He'd catch them outside then bring them inside and let them go.

The females would just gnaw their heads off

12. comaface

comaface Crush, kill, destroy

My family's home has had a bunch of mice inside and a skunk that spent a lot of time under the back porch.

My last place had a family of raccoons living in the garage, and a place I had a few years ago had something living in the storage area that kind of 'wrapped' around the top floor loft/living room. We never did find out what it was, but there was always lots of scrabbling noises and little droppings.

13. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Well, when we were working on remodeling the house some 5-6 years ago, getting new siding put onto the front part of the house, there was a third floor attic space above where my parents' bedroom is... anyways, when the guys who were working on our house took out the window to this attic space, bats came flying right out.

14. Sharktibolt

Sharktibolt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A few years ago we found about 16 flying squirrels living in our attic.

Yeah. No kidding. There are apparently flying squirrels in New Hampshire.

15. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Bats, raccoons, and a weevil colony.

16. Chaos Muffin

Never can find that loud ass cricket outside near my window

17. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I had crabs secretly living in my pubic hair, which was in my house whenever I was.

18. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

For about two years there was a mice family that drove my mom insane by craping all over the place and stealing the paperclips (seriously, every two weeks or so there was this weird paper clip trail leading to the basement door). What sucked even more was that my mom called in Orkin, they just put sticky traps all around the house that to this day have cought only bugs, but my dad caught two mice in a single weekend with nothing then his bare hands and a paper towel before tossing them like javelins into the woods about a mile from our house. He'd also made little bio-degradeable cages that held the mice when they got thrown into the deep woods, can you tell he didn't want them coming back?

There's also my sister, who can go through a jumbo-sized bag of Walgreens Sunflower seeds in about 5 hours.

19. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

Yes, and it was a very, very bad thing.

When I was growing up I lived in a semi wooded area. There were lots of mice, and other furry creatures in the area. One summer we noticed a stink coming from the walls by my room. It was there but the smell was going through the whole house. We opened up the wall, in the pantry, and found a very horrible site. There was a lot of blood and the bodies of 10 mice and a chipmunk in the wall. The stench was horrible. They came in though a hole in the foundation that the contractor who finished off the basement left behind (he was a complete moron btw). We cleaned out the awful mess, but left the wall off the pantry.

20. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    We have ladybugs that invade every Fall and last until Spring. They provide targets for the cats, so I don't mind much.

We've also had 3-4 mice per winter, with the exception of this past winter. I'm guessing the new lack is because the field that was behind our house is now another subdivision.

Finally, we've had a bat just about every Spring.

But with this --

-- I think I'd just have to move. Have fun paying the mortgage, hornets. *shudders*