Ever have a huge chunk of your collection just completely destroyed?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Valkysas, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I did. I had been trying to find my G1 and G2 boxes in the storage room for over a year now, to photograph for my collection topic. Well, today I finally found them, the boxes had been smashed when the rest of my family decided to put stuff ontop of them, like the top of a giant wooden table, and boxes of christmas ornaments ontop of that, along with a vacuum cleaner, and some other crap. well over 200 lbs of stuff piled on boxes of delicate transformers with no padding at all, and a concrete floor under them.

the boxes (and transformers within) were so completely smashed that I didnt even see where the boxes could be under all that crap that was piled ontop of them.

my most valuable items were in boxes all by themselves, that had car batteries set ontop of. well, more like dropped. yes, looking at the boxes, definately dropped.

So I'm picking through the smashed boxes and smashed figures, trying to find what survived intact, and what's salvagable. the salvage list isnt that long so far. I've managed to find blaster, a few tapes, wreck-gar, couple minibots, and a few insecticons unharmed. almost everything else I've come across has major parts broken, like star saber, yes, fucking star saber's arms broken off, G2 megatron's cannon barrel broken off, and a legless galvatron. my G2 constructicons are completely shattered except for bonecrusher and mixmaster. thats nice. and I've only gone through two boxes out of five. I've got a long, crappy night ahead of me. Not to mention that I now have to replace nearly everything that came before beast wars.

So, anyone else ever get their collection destroyed like this?

2. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

Damn, what a tragic waste....

I've had one or two things damaged, but nothing like that... Seriously, I don't know what I'd do if something like that happened....

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    wow....that sucks. I've never had this problem, but, then again, I don't have a collection large enough to have a similar event happen to me. I also have all of them in one spot where the can't really get harmed easily. I can't wait to get my new room (we're remodeling the whole house). It's going to be close to double the size of my curent room (which happens to be about 6'x14'). I can then get some display shelves/cabinets to display my whole collection on. Good luck with finding salvagable items.

4. transmetropolitan

transmetropolitan nonjon TFW2005 Supporter

Yes. Thanks to psycho-bitch ex.

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Could you elaborate?

Hey, found terrorcons. they're unharmed, except for sinnertwin who has been busted for about two years anyways.

things may be looking up.

6. KING KONVOY

KING KONVOY Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No that’s never happen to me but I empathize with your situation because I can imagine how frustrated I would be. I’m so sorry this happened and I hope you can replace them all at a least the ones you want. I hope the items in the other boxes survived!

7. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

Not like that, but yes:

Some of the casualties include: Galaxy Convoy, Rhinox statue x2 (I know! :cry ), BT Lambor, MP Convoy, BM Rapticon, Alt Prime, Armada Unicron and more probably. Anyway, that's nothing compared to you.

8. puppylove

puppylove mini ops caretaker

News Credits:
    oh wow. i am sorry! all i can offer is sympathy... :( 

9. transmetropolitan

transmetropolitan nonjon TFW2005 Supporter

10. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Will you be killing the family members responsible? Make sure to get video.

11. Bed Bugs

Bed Bugs Haven't gone postal yet...

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Ouch, that sucks

12. Kid Icarus

Kid Icarus Castlevaniac

I'm going to venture a guess and say Sinnertwin's problem is probably related to the blue/green plastic used to make his headpost. I've had a few problems with older G1 toys featuring that color of plastic or of a similar nature, Vortex for example.

On topic: I'm sorry for your loss. I too know the pain of other family members unintentionally destroying parts of my collection. Sounds like someone needs to be taken down to the woodshed, if you know what I'm saying. :ev: 

Otherwise the closest I can relate to the current situation is having to painstakingly remove a ton of housing material dust and clusters of dead bugs from the entirety of my G1 boxes, cards and figures on display downstairs. It's been a few months and I'm still not finished...

Here's hoping most of your Transformers survived the encounter.

-Pit-

13. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    Oh wow...I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. That was what, easily at least a $1000 or more of your personal belongings destroyed? What does your family have to say about it? Are they willing to help pay for replacements?

--Moony

14. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    Man, sorry hear about that. :( 

Some of my collection got destroyed while I was at Botcon this year. My dog went completely ballistic when fireworks were going off in the neighborhood. Knocked down my husband's DLP tv and got into my collection room. In the room, he knocked over a six foot tall bookcase holding all of the recent movie items on it. Unfortunately several of the items just got crushed. Then he climbed on the bed, destroying some G1 oddity boxes, punching some holes in the original TF train set box and destroying some TF movie children's books. Sure I can get these items easily, but seeing the room once I got home was near heart destroying.

15. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Yep, his head snapped off at the neck. then I inserted a pin, and glued it back on. then the post his head is on shattered. now it's a big mess glued into his chest. eventually I'll find a junker sinnertwin and swap head-posts.

More than $1000, looks to be at least $3000 worth of damaged stuff so far. family does not care, they blame me, despite the "FRAGILE" warnings on the boxes, and them being in my part of the storage room.

Found thunderwing! one of my "grails" made it through intact. that's a relief. but the fact that only around 25 figures have been found intact so far is not a relief. only one more box left.

16. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

Wow that really sucks... sounds like they toys might be moving to a safer area. It would almost be worth renting a temp controlled locker just to ensure stuff like this doesn't happen.

You got to be kind of cruel and heartless to not car about someone elses' belongings. Hope you're able to put it all back together someday.

17. grimlockams prime

grimlockams prime Check you feet

thats why you get your collection inshured. also i have many a crazy schem to help you:ev: (laughs like dr.Otto the naive.).

18. Master Megatron

Master Megatron Action Bastard

I'd be heartbroken, to say the least, but if my parents said it was MY fault, I would definitely feel wronged. :(  What are you going to do with the broken ones?

19. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    holding on to most of them, in hopes of finding junkers with the right parts intact to repair them.

20. nectarsis

nectarsis I have ZAZZZZZZZZZ

sorry for the loss. This was a few years ago. I was out shopping with the then wife at TRU. My cell phone rings. My mom says "get your ass over here", and hangs up. FLY over to her house, and find her in the basement along with 8-10in of standing water. Mind you, this was 2 weeks after the OTFCC show in Fort Wayne...My Unicron Statue boxes were FLOATING. I had 1-2 of EVERY Dreamwave (and other) posters from the show+ multiple rare, and original movie posters. Now they were in a stack that was like 30-40 posters stuck together. Insurance company estimated my losses to be over $5000!!!