Ever fire anyone?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eyeballkid, Sep 13, 2008.

1. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

My manager told me to fire an employee today. I did. He didn't have the balls to do it himself. This was a first for me. I'm not even sure why I was asked to do it.

2. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Firing people is easy. I ask my boss to let me fire people instead of having her do it when I'm stressed out.

3. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

I guess it becomes easier, I felt little pity, guy had it coming. Still kinda weird.

4. Jux

The way I see it, you get fired because you fucked up. And I have no problem telling people they fucked up. I've been in management since I was 18 years old, but I've never once had a problem telling people they're a fuckup.

5. Wreckie

Wreckie Holder of the Discomatrix

Ebay:
    I've been fired for reasons other than fucking up before now. Once I was fired for giving a client good advice, rather than the bad advice my manager wanted me to give. (My advice was in the client's best interests, while my manager's advice was for the client to start a seriously expensive lawsuit which they'd almost certainly lose... but would get the company a lot of money in fees.)

I've fired people too, and yes, it's less of a problem if they're either unwilling or unable to do the job, although telling a nice person that they're just not good enough always used to make me uncomfortable.

But what sucks far more is when it's got nothing to do with their performance. I once had to fire 2 staff because the shop they were working in was losing massive amounts of money (to the extent that continuing trading would risk insolvency for the rest of the organisation) and we had to close it. They weren't to blame, in fact they'd done an amazing job of almost making it work. It was the idiot managers who'd opened a shop where there was no possibility of it ever making money. Of course, the idiot managers had since gone on to greener pastures and it was the poor bastards on the ground who had to pay the penalty.

6. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

I had to tell a whole store of people that they no longer had a job. That was the only time it was hard. It wasn't because of anything any of them did either, just a store closing. The others I pretty much took pleasure in because they deserved it.

7. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    I got to fire people on a semi-regular basis from one job a number of years ago when I was 18 and in my first management position. I loved it. I think my favorite was when I had to terminate an acquaintance of mine who really had it coming. Since then I've only had to fire a couple of people here and there but they have all be total fuck ups and needed to get canned. Each and every time I loved it. It's nice to be able to tell someone, in not so many words, 'you've fucked up here for the last time. Buh-bye'.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  8. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Firing people is good and bad. When it's some a-hole who is shiftless and does nothing, it's fine. But in a previous job, I had to fire a lot of people who were really nice and trying hard, but their numbers weren't good. I really hated doing it, cause I always felt with a little more time and coaching, quite a few of them could have been really good.

With that said, it's still awesome to be able to fire jerk wads and those who are slacker's in the extreme sense of the word.

9. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

I am cursed being a nice person, so I always hate firing people. I, however, know that it is usually the right thing to do, and do it. Thankfully, I don't have to do it often.

10. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

My employer doesn't really "fire" people. But since I entered junior management, I've had no problem making employees who fuck up do push-ups until they vomit.

I don't think I could fire people in a civilian setting, though. If I've learned one thing from TFW besides the release date of the latest Wal-Mart exclusives, it's that no one is ever at fault for being let go. Even if all the evidence suggests they are, they were actually a model employee who not only wasn't to blame, but probably deserved a promotion. Knowing this, I would feel guilty terminating anyone.

11. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

when i managed a movie theater I had to fire a person once. she was a highschooler and when i told her she needed to be working she said something to the affect of. yeah later my friends wanna chill first. i asked her friends to leave and told her to turn in her uniform. her dad was my landlord.

12. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I have no problem firing people unless it's a woman. The only reason is because they cry and I do not deal well with crying women.

13. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    :lol 

14. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'm a big baby when it comes to letting someone go. I just don't like being the bad guy (I get to do that enough during the day). I generally have my office manager deal with the dirty job. I just cannot deal with the tears and crying that generally accompanies "the talk".

15. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I fired several people back when I was a manager at UPS, I only had one threaten to kill me.

16. Jux

:lol  :lol 

17. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

I don't like firing people, and I've never done it by myself, (Union rules, only the senior management technically get to fire people) but I've been in the room and "assisted" in the firing several times.

It's amazing how many people know they're a fuckup when you tell them and pretty much agree. I always try to put a positive spin on it and tell them that they need to realize what went wrong and try not to repeat it in a future job. I also try to let them know they're probably better suited to something else (giving examples of what job I think they would be better geared toward). Constructive criticism and hopefully a kick in the ass int he right direction. I don't want people going out the door and making the same mistakes for someone else, that doesn't help anyone.

18. dropped_71chevy

dropped_71chevy Well-Known Member

I used to love firing people under our old HR management. We'd slide separation paperwork in front of them, ask them to read it, and the sign it. If they asked questions we told them the decision was already made.

With new HR management it's this whole big dramatic build up that's really not any fun. I do love walking people out though. I love the concept of firing someone walking them out with no job and telling them "Good Luck!".

19. Jux

The weirdest thing I ever saw was when Roy was walked out.

"Good luck paying for those 'heart medication' prescriptions!"

20. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

My problem at work is there is one particular employee who makes lots of mistakes, is always late, and countless other things that would necessitate a good firing. For some reason, he's still there. Basically he has this "special relationship" with the director of the department and everyone else knows it. It becomes increasingly frustrating because myself and one other person has to clean up his messes. I've talked to him about his fuck-ups, I've talked to the manager, and I've talked to the director about all the crap he pulls and gets away with, and all they say to me is "we'll talk to him about it". I have really been debating on taking this to the director's manager, who's the CEO of the company. And I've also started jotting down all the crap he does, so I have a record of it all.