ever feal weird...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by dino52, Oct 3, 2011.

1. dino52

dino52 Well-Known Member

have any of you ever had like awhile that you didn't buy any toys because you felt nerdy i didn't buy anything for like 2-3 months then i realized im still gonna buy toys and im back getting toys

2. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, all through High School and a few years after.

3. gunthetra

gunthetra Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Middle school through my junior year of high school. I remember checking the toy isles every now and then, wishing I could buy my little robots again.

Nowadays, I fully accept that the nerdiness is a part of me. lol

4. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    When I was first into buying them again. Now I could care less, and the only person I have gotten less than a smile from was the fatty working at KMart. I just tell em "yup, Im a big nerd" and pass on by. It is a strange hobby and my friends will give me hell about it, but I am gonna buy em anyhow, so I may as well accept it. Plus I know I am far from the wierdest adult rolling into Toys R Us looking for toys. Though it probably wouldn't help me in hitting on the hotties behind the counter.

5. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 I'm actually 16.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Happened to me around the ROTF era and pretty much missed Universe 2.0 and the first year of Generations but now I'm back to be nerding out again!

6. FakeEyes22

FakeEyes22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I kind of have, so I kept my nerdy habits mostly to myself. It's been more about very early adult times when I may have been spending/focusing too much on my geeky stuff rather than getting my act together or trying to be more social. There's always a balancing act, since it's easy to go overboard on any cool things that you love.

I'll assume you're much younger than I am, so take this lame-sounding advice from someone who dealt with exactly what you're talking about:

Peer Pressure and feeling like a nerd or outsider are temporary worries.

Accepting who you are and what you enjoy is a more permanent and rewarding part of life.

If you feel silly sharing your hobby with peers who won't understand, then don't advertise it, but you should never put yourself down for something harmless that you enjoy on your own.

7. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    I never really felt "nerdy" or ashamed in my hobbies in any way. I was doing toys although on a small scale in high school and I haven't really stopped since them. I've slowed down, sped up here and there, but I've been doing it steady all this time.

You shouldn't have to be ashamed about collecting hobbies unless it's taking over in a bad way, like putting collecting before needs and basic necessities.

8. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

nope.jpg

9. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Not really.

When I was 16, I bought Batman toys, but I was too shy to tell my friends. Suddenly I just told them what I buy, then they get upset at me because I didn't tell them sooner.

10. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've never received any hate for collecting toys. I even brought two to class a while ago for a digital project and the guy next to me thought they were cool.

11. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Thats solid text right there, Sir..

If ya wanna read a lil story, read on...I told this one on another site the day it happened.

I dunno...Im more of an open book about stuff like this. I had a situation a few years back that I will never forget, and after that I could give a shit less what anyone thinks. I am a VERY outspoken person.

It happened during the 25th foil card joe days a few years back. I was working about an hour from my house, and at the time I was a suit and tie, high dollar sales guy for a big corp. EVERY day, I would stop in at a certain walmart, in a pretty high income area. There was a 25th Rock n Roll, Foil card joe, On top of some old waved figures.
    I KNEW that whoever stocked, just opened a case, threw that one on there, and put the rest of the case in the back. So I found this lady, prolly in her late 40's, in the toy department. Asked her if I could show her something, and she follows me to the joe pegs. I explained "I'm Pretty sure the rest of these are back there..is it possible you could check for me?"
    Now mind you, This is 7 a.m., Im wearing a $400 suit....in Walmart...asking for toys in the back room. This particular wave was soppossed to be packed with Torpedo, and at the time..my holy grail.."BATTLE ARMOR COBRA COMMANDER" While Im waiting for her...Im just goin NUTZ thinking she is gunna come back and say "here ya go" or "NOPE..sorry"...it was KILLING ME..
    So she comes back with the cardboard shipper. Hands it to me. I look....ITS THERE...I WAS RIGHT..

I totally nerded out in front of her.

I grabbed the BACC and was just OOGLING it...I notice she is looking at me wierd...Like im actually going to hand her this box BACK or something, and I turn the carded fig towards her and say "OH MY GAWD...the freakin HELMET COMES OFF!!!! Check that out!!! The gun even looks right..."

She asked "wait..are these for YOU?" I replied.." Hell yea! Thanks!"
    She then asks "well...Whats a grown man gunna do with toys?"
    I replied, "Well...you see..Im gunna buy this whole box. Im gunna paint one up (Notice the sig <) to stand next to my Crimson Gaurds, and then put another one to stand with some Cobra High Command, and then, any others I find after these, I'll buy and pack away to keep carded for my collection"

She rolled her eyes, huffed and went to walk away. THAT got on my nerves. BAD.

So as she walked away, I asked " Ma'am...Would you think its more appropriate for me to go blow my money in the Titty bar, Buy an 8 ball, Party with some hookers? Because I've done that stuff when I was a KID, Now I just get a kick out of collecting toys...I mean..I COULD really blow my money.."

Im such a freakin ass...I know..

She said.."well...Ya gotta point..sorry. My Names "So n So" if you ever want me to look in the back for ya..just come find me.."

So I leave Walmart. I sat in my car waiting for the doors to be unlocked so I can get to my office and work. I could NOT stop looking at BACC. So I put him in my briefcase, right on top of my laptop.

1st thing of the day...SALES MEETING. I didnt even get to go to my offfice. about 20 people in a big room....Looong table. We had tablet PC's and we were sopposed to take notes ON THEM ONLY, for a few reasons.

My boss, about 4 years older than me, 6 figure guy, the first number in that 6 is prolly a FOUR. Tells us, Pull out your laptops and take notes on this powerpoint.

OMG.....I got a fucking JOE FIGURE, sitting on my laptop...WTF am I gunna do...Everyone grabs thier briefcase..tosses it on the table, and pulls out the PC...

I think..I'll do it quick..I'll just pull out the laptop...leave ol' Commander in there..I got this.

My boss walks right by me, as I pull out my laptop. See's my BACC in my Briefcase. Im gunna fucking shit...He is gunna call me out...All these people are gunna fuck with me.

My Boss (who is actually a good buddy of mine, and had been for 2 years) GRABS my fucking joe in front of everyone. everyone looks. SILENCE. He says.."NO WAY...the Helmet comes off? Thats pretty cool man..That was my favorite Cobra Commander EVER..." hands it back "Now lets get to it.."

Nobody said fucking SHIT. I was crippled by some unknown fear of nothing, that I almost feinted in a way" I mean...this was my JOB...and I was REAL good..always top 10 in the country.

After the meeting, a few sales guys asked me to show them my BACC. The guys that did check it out were floored at "how cool" that was.

That month I did VERY well in sales. We had our meeting. Boss is gunna give out sales number for everyone. He says "OK...TOP sales in the country WERE IN OUR OFFICE!!...Every one should congratulate CLOSER COMMANDER over there...Dave won it"

Everyone laughed...I had a new nickname...it changed everything about that job, just because of the way people looked at me. I also visited that walmart, the lady there, was a dept. manager that I met, would tell me when things should be getting there..It turned into a great relationship. I used to bring her coffee in the morning when I checked the Joe pegs on days she would tell me stuff would come in.

All because of a toy....it took a crazy event like this for me to get over the "stigma" that alot of guys on here talk about..But I honestly believe that if you wanna spend your cash on toys...crack...hookers...cars...houses..WHATEVER..as long as your family is taken care of 1st and foremost, then NOONE should give a wet fart about what you do.

BTW..the one as my avatar, IS the one from the meeting..

DAVE

12. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

it's all for fun. if people would tease me for being a TF collector. I get them back harder. its not like all of sudden they grew a heart or even worse feelings. just get them back. once in awhile, initiate it yourself and throw them off guard or worse troll them about something. its part of life. accept who you are and just be confident about it. in other words, grow some balls.

13. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    I always thought I would be the geeky nerd in class at High school, Until I found out all of my classmates like Sci-Fi, fiction and collecting movie merchandise.

14. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    Never,for me I am one guy who has never felt ashamed of collecting transformers,and sure I have had my share of looks and eye rollings from people,but honestly that actually makes me proud to know I have something they don't have "An Imagination". So if some people think I am stupid or whatever,lets see these Geniuses "sarcasm" try to transform Any TF without help and see if it don't end up broken half into.That's all.

15. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I thought about how odd I looked carrying the kre-o prime case back into Walmart. Must have been a great site.

16. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    I don't give a damn what anyone says, i am going to buy my toys and that is that

17. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 I'm actually 16.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Same here.

18. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

no.

19. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

^

whenever i pickup monster high dolls for the wife, i never think twice about it either. i don't really question myself or other people views.

but picking up tampons is still pretty awkward for me. that aisle is just wrong or maybe its just the thought of all that blood in a region where i never want any. or maybe its the fact that i don't really want to imagine the complexity of feminine hygiene in that region. keep it clean and the magic to themselves.

20. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    @Snake_eyes1975: now that is one cool story! Thanks for sharing. :) 

Anyway, BTT: Nope. I expect people, especially those close to me to understand or at least try to understand my hobby. People who think I'm weird because I collect toys, I couldn't care less what they say. Before I used to seethe with fury whenever someone from the office made snide remarks about my hobby. Now I've learned to ignore such ignoramuses. :)