Ever been ripped off buying Transformers ?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Born 2B Alive!, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Born 2B Alive!

Born 2B Alive! Director Of Entertainment

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Has anyone here ever spent alot of money on a Transformer thinking they just bought an MISB 1984 Wheeljack or something only to find out that it is a fake or a KO? I am curious because I can't believe how much some Transformers go for online! Sometimes those KOs are really good and hard to tell from the real thing! Especially if it is in a plastic sealed case with an AFA sticker on it.

2. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

Oh yeah... got ripped off once on Ebay, never will happen again....

3. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    yup, still waiting for an Alternator I bought on Ebay about 8 years ago...

4. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Throughout the years? Yes. Overcharging is the main thing I've dealt with. Especially sellers from the Asian region of the world. They really rooked me on shipping on most, if not all things. I was able to check the postage tags and run them through a convertor and found out I paid something like $17-23.00 over, each time.

Whether it was EMS or Air Mail, it was always costly and ended up being a nice profit for them.

5. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    pretty sure both of my G1 casseticons, Laserbeak and Buzzsaw, are either Reissues or KOs

6. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I've never been ripped off. I'm too smart to get ripped off.

7. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    I think you shld do a poll..that way more people can post their experiences/
    anyway back on topic: thank god, no casese of me being duped when I was buying/ is buying tfmers, which I mainly get through online sources. paying slightly over the odds-- but not insane amounts- yes- many times, but not all out being cheated. I guess I can count myself lucky... :lol 

8. gregles

gregles quintesson

it has not happened to me in years but when I first started to re-collect alot of childhood toys I wanted a g1 megatron. In the photo of the one I bid on it showed it standing up so I assumed it didn't have the same problem with the legs as my childhood one but when I got it he could only really stand up if you balanced him at a perfect angle or leant him against something. the same thing happened the second time with a different seller but they had shoved some some glue or resin like stuff in the joint to keep it standing up but was waiting to crumbled when transformed. neither of there descriptions said anything about the problem just said used but look good in both modes. I was pissed off loads at the time but if those dodgy sellers are reading this now thank you as If I didn't have those dodgy megs to spare I would never have used them for parts to make this custom g1 megatron, which I am way more pleased with with than any g1 mould meg muh hahahaha muh hahaha

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/465397-my-transforming-g1-megatron-completed.html

9. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    Super-ripped off? Not really, but in the 'good old days' of eBay, when people could get away with low-res photos, quite a few "MIB" toys were not as described.

10. Decay_is_awesome

Decay_is_awesome Well-Known Member

I live in Australia so im ripped off everytime I buy a transformer. It used to be as cheap to buy online inc shipping as it was to buy in store here but shipping from America seems to have gone way up in the last few years.

Other than that i havent had it too bad. Ive had a few people try and rip me off really badly but usually end up getting my money back. Some jerk had his store shut down because i emailed ebay over and over about him, and im guessing a lot of other people had done the same. I have been ripped off like $150 before but it wasnt transformers.

11. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    "Ripped off" in the sense that I bought something not knowing it was really worth less? No.

"Ripped off" in the sense that I probably paid too much for something? Probably, but that's a bit relative, as I've paid "fair market value" for most things. That being said, I think some of this stuff shouldn't be as expensive as it is, but there's little I can do about that other than look for deals.

As far as G1 toys are concerned, it's more about how rare or not something is versus whether or not I "paid too much". There are pieces that I've gotten that I've had to pay a premium for simply because they are that difficult to find. G1 Icepick's gun cost me $40 alone, but prior to my purchase I hadn't seen one in well over a year by itself (as in not part of a full Monstructor set, and it was the only piece I needed to complete mine). I REALLY hated paying that much for that tiny gun, but that's the name of the game sometimes.

12. JazzHunter83

JazzHunter83 Mrs FatalT

Yes, in a way. I have brought stuff that was not as described...never as bad as being advertised as MISB and then finding out it was excessively 'played with'. I have had sellers exaggerate the quality of their item, saying that something is like new and with packaging....only to find out the packaging they are talking about is some random shoe box and memory foam - not quite what I was expecting. I didn't actually pay too much for it as it was Slag....and I guess he isn't really in demand because he cost me $57 plus whatever it was for shipping. I needed him to complete my collection of Dinobots so I wasn't too cranky - I did leave neutral feedback as I felt negative was a bit too harsh.

13. jordy

jordy Banned

News Credits:
    Actually we have a thread about over priced items on ebay. Check it out there are a lot of figures on it.

14. Crystal Convoy

Crystal Convoy Huh? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Never did get that FE Starscream the seller was supposed to check on.

15. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard @DiabraveSid

News Credits:
    For real?

I ordered a case of the second wave of Classics (Cliffjumper,Mirgage, Ramjet) and a Voyager case (Jetfire, Prime) from a guy with 25,000 feedback, he just disappeared from ebay one day. I got back about half of my money through ebay, something to do with how they refunded things back then.

That's it though, other than the usual "buying something when it's new which isn't very good / is half price two weeks later".

16. whoamidri

whoamidri Mumbling Madman

ok, I'll admit it. I got ripped off for an afa beachcomber. turned out to be a ko. But afa graded it and I thought it was legit. Paid 90.00 for it like 7 years ago. Other than that, I have only had some problems with not as described like a lot of other people are saying. And yes, I feel I have overpaid for quite a few parts and bots over the years.

17. LogicalLuke

LogicalLuke Banned

I never got in a F.E. Optimus I bought from a seller here as well.

18. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I bought a MIB reissue G1 Optimus Prime from eBay 5 years ago. Paid a little under $100 shipped for it, thinking it was a Hasbro reissue. I was new to collecting at the time. This was back when KO listings were more common on eBay. However, I don't blame the seller as much as I blame myself for failing to do a little bit of research first. I've been good ever since.

19. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Since jumping back into the G1 game, I've been ripped off a few times.

Mint Bombshell= Broken antenna/ loose joints
    Mint Sunstreaker= Looser than a wizard's sleeve

before that

Mint official DIA Commander= Painted KO missiles, scratches

I've had a lot more problems on ebay but that's about it recently. You know, as much as we all hate Paypal, it works fantastic when you're not the seller lol.

I was able to get full refunds on all those items, so I really wasn't totally ripped off. As others have mentioned, in the good old days, people would just bail on you and there was nothing you could do about it.

20. Girl Pants

Girl Pants Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I haven't really ever been ripped off. I have bought a few things that ended up having unacceptably loose joints, but I knew I was getting an old product.

In the other sense of the word, I have overpaid for toys considerably sometimes. I remember I paid full Canadian TRU retail for Leader Ironhide a few days before he went 20% or more on sale. I also bought a DotM Laserbeak from a store here in the little town I live in one day on impulse because I simply needed a new toy and nothing was shipping at the time. I paid over $20 for him after tax.... I don't realyl regret it though, he's a cool toy.