Ever been plesently surprised by a TF pick up?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Neo Tallgeese, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Neo Tallgeese

Neo Tallgeese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :cool:  Just received GDO Laserbeak in the mail. Didn't have either 2 of the earlier molds, so I was glad for a chance to pick it up. I've heard that it was a pretty good figure (Completly missed Skystalker, and I just didn't like Sunspot's colors...too bright), so I decided to take a chance. WoW! I am super impressed. I see what everyone was talking about. To be honest I figured I'd like it pretty good, but having it in hand and in the G1 styled colors has made a believer out of me. Super impressive! :D  Anyone else ever been plesently surprised by a Transformer once you actually had it. Could be you thought you wouldn't like it and found that you did. Maybe you're like me and figured you'd like it and then realize it's one of your collection favorites.

2. Flyby33

Flyby33 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Every animated figure I got! When the cartoon came out did nothing for me. Then I got voyager starscream and was like wow this is pretty good next thing I know I have almost all of them!

3. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    Breacher. i bought it becuase i new it went with seaspray and OMG so much win.

FE arcee too, the transformation is so small and tight yet she is so tall.

PRiD bulkhead ... i didnt mind the height at first ... becuase he was bulky and it was fitting ... but next to my univewrse sideswipe ... which was a deluxe ... ugh ...

4. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    TFP Rumble, I have had it for about two weeks now and I'm still struck about how good it is.

5. Ironhide1706

Ironhide1706 Elessar Telcontar

Prime Voyager Starscream. Didn't expect him to be as amazing as he is.

6. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    PRiD Cliffjumper
    PRiD Arcee
    Classics Grapple

7. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    terradive. I didn't like the look in the package, despite hearing such good things about him. Then I bought him loose this summer from a toy store for $5... holy crap he is a great figure and super-duper poseable

8. Leemaster777

Leemaster777 Junkion

Ebay:
    Had a moment like that recently.

Bought a Beast Machines lot off eBay awhile back, and got a couple figures in it I had no interest in.

The two figures I had the LEAST interest in (Tankor and Mega Cheetor) ended up as unexpected favorites of mine. Tankor is a burly beast of a tank with epic light-piping, and Cheetor's extremely lanky appearance looks so much better in-person to me than in pictures.

9. Razorbeak7

Razorbeak7 But look, a computer!

Same thing happened to me, saw him at TRU and thought "Meh, I might as well get something while I'm here, why not him?" Turns out he's a simple but really fun figure :) 

10. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Hrm.

RotF Gears. Got him because he was $7, but he's probably my favorite RotF figure. Cool colors, simple/quick transformation, neat deco, fun gimmick.

TF07 Legends Bonecrusher: Unexpectedly, my favorite figure from the TF07 line. To this day it's the only one that sees regular use.

DotM Laserbeak: Bought it on a whim. Loved it. The alt-mode is surprisingly fun, if wildly out of scale, and he's got the best Deluxe mechtech weapon in the line. He's posable, he's got personality, and he's just fun.

11. SurlyJ

SurlyJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Was hugely surprised by how much I liked Prime Cliffjumper and also had the same experience with Gdo laserbeak. Awesome figure.

I never expected to way GDO springer either until I saw him in stores.

12. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Don't like Sunspot's colors?? C'mon, in UAV drone mode,he looks like a fried egg! What's not to like? :D 

13. Optimus_Prowl

Optimus_Prowl I'm the Goddamed Two-Face

News Credits:
    Gotta say prime knockout. With the rising prices of figures and how small he was in vehicle mode i thought he would be rubbish. And with all the reactions to his transformation and his paint i kept flip flopping on picking him. Then i got some dcu figures for my.bday returned them to target and picked up.knockout and he was so good! His transformation is brilliant and i love his face sculpt.

14. Dudicus

Dudicus G2 Combiner dudebro.

News Credits:
    Ironically, Backstop (The 2010 market 6 exclusive). I've heard so many terrible things, but ended up actually liking this toy.

15. Deadsled

Deadsled Energon Recovery

News Credits:
    Transmetal Waspinator. Was not expecting to like him so much. When I sold the bulk of my tfs/bw him and transmetal packrat (blue walmart version of rattrap) are the only ones I kept for myself.

16. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    A few.

Cannonball, Transformers: Cybertron- I really don't like the Cybertron Red Alert mold. In fact, I despise it to the point that I gave it away to someone. But with Cannonball, something is different. And that something is that he's fucking Cannonball. He's a Goddamn pirate Transformer (way before Thundertron and his amazing beard) and it's amazing how much a well thought-out redeco of a mediocre toy can win you over.

Knockout, Transformers: Prime- From how everyone was talking, it sounded like this toy was a steaming pile of trash that would go out at night and slaughter your pets while you sleep. In reality, he is a toy that grows on you immensely and it is all due to Knockout's fantastic personality in the show. No, he is isn't a perfect representation of the character and yeah the toy is incredible flawed. This toy was saved to me thanks to an impressive range of movement in his lower half, and just because of how much I really dig Knockout in the show.

Iron Man (Hummer Version), Marvel Crossovers- I've never had a Transformers: Crossovers toy before, mainly due to how everyone was consistently throwing around sheer hatred and disgust at the Star Wars Crossovers. So when I picked up the Iron Man Hummer out of sheer curiosity, I was very surprised (The surprise eventually went away when I discovered that the rage and hatred are primarily aimed at Star Wars Crossovers, rather than the Marvel line) and to this very day, he remains one of the toys that stay on my computer desk.

17. cliffjumperftw1

cliffjumperftw1 I have no idea what I'm doing.

Let's see, Prime Knockout: I saw the pictures and said "Looks like I'm skipping him." Then I happenes to go to a Target that had him then said "Fine. Why not?" I REALLY like him.
    GDO laserbeak: I always told myself "nothing smaller than deluxes." Saw him at my local TRU last weekend surrounded by the bee swarm and was like "Screw it, I'd rather not leave empty-handed AGAIN." I was pleasantly surprised to find that I love tinkering with the little guy. He even has a "bird" mode shown in the instructions! Those are my most resent that I can remember lol.

18. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    The curse of every collector :lol 

19. SirStarscream

SirStarscream Banned

Yep, I've gotten quite a few nice ones. HftD Battle Blade Bumblebee looked like just another BB mold out of the several million they have made but it's really a great toy with accuracy to movies. (If that matters to you.) Also RTS Lugnut. When it first came out, I really disliked the whole line thanks to the fact that it included so many G1 looking TFs. (The human-like faces REALLY creep me out.) But when I saw it at a Ross for $9.99 I decided to pick it up. Unlike most of my Transformers, it really has great joints! Still tight after a year and a half! Only three balljoints in the whole toy, tons of C-clip points, and a great lumbering looking bot mode. Definitely would recommend these any day.

20. Goldlock

Goldlock and don't call me Shirley

News Credits:
    I've had plenty of experiences like this.

The most recent noteable one is FoC Optimus Prime. Pre-release photos did nothing for me; the design did nothing for me; the whole point of a redesign was lost on me...

Then I got the figure, just to satisfy the craving for something new, and it turns out to be one of my favourite Optimus figures ever! The transformation is simple but effective, the articulation is fantastic, there's no obtrusive gimmicks, and the sculpt is amazingly accurate when you look at it closely.