Ever been left out of a group thing?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kingjace, Aug 27, 2009.

1. kingjace

kingjace Well-Known Member

Just a random thought that came to mind, and thought would be interesting to see other peoples experiences.

Has anybody here ever been left out of a group hang out thing with a bunch of close friends due to misunderstanding, blatantly left out or such other fun stuff like that?

I'm missing out on a drinking session with my close friends I'm apparently not invited to even though I'm in the neighborhood and they know it. Not really moe-ing out to use the term, i'm just curious to see how many people had experienced similar situations.

2. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Talk to Jeremy B. about this, he knows all about it. I leave him out of stuff all the time because he's a Bama fan.

And he's a redneck.

3. kingjace

kingjace Well-Known Member

o.... kay 0.o

Didn't get any of that but I'll put it on the to do list =D

4. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

:lol 

5. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

My friends from high school went to Myrtle Beach on spring vacation. They never asked me to come along. I told them it would've been nice if I went along, and one of them said they were sorry they didn't take me, but then they had limited room, so...

Eh, I'm used to being left out. No since getting my hopes up that someday I could get a group of friends together for a trip or something, because it's likely never going to happen.

6. McBradders

Sort out your own darned road trip, mang. If you sit back and wait very rarely do things come to you.

Carpé Diem, Trans+Crazy, sieze the day.

7. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

My friends we're gonna see ROTF without me because they thought my GF was annoying. I still got to go with them though. Thankfully we got everything worked out.

8. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Like that time we were going to go and legally recruit players for football teams?

9. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

All. The. Time.

Well, not all the time. Sometimes I am. I'm not sure if some of my friends secretly hate me or they don't know what I'm talking about. Because srsly when I start talking about Transformers, Paleontology, astronomy, etc. they have quite a confuse look on their face. I grew up and operate differently than my friends. I try as hard as I can to put it as easily understandable as possible.

Sometimes I feel like the third wheel all the time, I'm not quite as popular as I used to be. Last year when I got in a fight my popularity sparked and I was like "Hey, I beat the shit out of a bully (More like four foot tall "I'm better than you" egotistical prick who by first glance you could tell he was diagnosed with fetal alocohol syndrome) got three days suspension (For defending myself, and that little shit didn't get in trouble :mad: ) and I'm the talk of the school, life is good <:D "

DON'T JUDGE ME!

10. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well this reminds me of a sorry that broke my heart.

My son and Daughter went to there cousins party.
    They are 5 and 4. It was at a Dodge-ball place.
    So the cousins (who go nuts every time we all get together) invited there school friends as well. Like 20ish kids.

Anyway, they started picking teams and my Son and Daughter would raise there hands and jump up and down but were never picked by there cousins. They were last to be picked, it was sad to me. Even at that age I saw the disappointment in my sons face.
    I know I sound like a bitch but that day I was so heated. The only thing good that came out of it was when my son was picked, he took his sisters and and told the Ref that she was with him. He wouldn’t let go to the other team last. He’s a good boy.

The cousins are a year older then my boy so I understand there’s a little bit of a difference in age a maturity, but still the ref should of assigned teams after the first few all starts were picked.

Ok I’m done..

11. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    So you got in a fight with someone with a physical (and possibly mental) disability? Well, at least you got popular from it.

In terms of the discussion at hand, however...

I think we've all been there in terms of being left out of stuff, either by mistake or through malice. I think the best thing to do, OP, is to talk to your friends about it. If it was a mistake, then at least you won't have to hold it against them anymore (and you know, shit happens, mistakes get made, and just because you think someone knows things, doesn't mean they do). It could be an honest mistake on their part.

Another possible option, unfortunately, is that you were left out for a reason. If this is the case, its probably going to be an awkward conversation, and they may not want to tell you the reason, so saying "be honest with me" may be required. It could be that someone else in the group has an issue with you, that you've done something in the past that they didn't like, or that you've conducted yourself in a manner such that they didn't want to associate with you on that occasion. Give it some real thought, and, as bad as it sounds, be brutally honest with yourself. Did you get so drunk last time your friends had to take care of you? Did you monopolize the conversation and talk endlessly about stuff the others didn't want to hear about? Did you cockblock another member of the group? It's tough, but if you want to keep these people as friends, and they've got a problem with how you've been, you may have to do a little self-improvement.

Or, the alternative is to just find new friends, if you feel that they've ostracized you unfairly.

12. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Know why I don't get left out of social events?

1. I'm positive and upbeat.
    2. I actively stay in contact with folks, but not to the point that it's annoying.
    3. I make my own contacts, plan my own events, and see if people would like to come along
    4. I remain positive and upbeat if plans don't occur.

There might be a point to take away here for summa y'all. I'm not sure.

13. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I know I'm going to sound like a hypocrite -- and I know I am -- and I'm not trying to arouse any sympathy from you guys -- though you guys might think that I am -- but let me try and make you understand where I'm coming from:

I come from a farming family who rarely, if ever, go on a trip/vacation. When we do, it's either to Walt Disney World -- which I absolutely love going to -- or we go on a road trip to wherever, usually in other states and make stops at historical sites and whatnot. But that's when we have the time and money to go on such a trip. Our last real vacation was back in 2000, and this year we're lucky to go away for 3 days to a tractor show in Illinois -- not my ideal trip, but it beats being stuck at home and doing all the chores by myself.

Concerning friends, I've had a number of friends while growing up. I very rarely had friends over, and I very rarely go to a friend's house. Most of my friendships dissolve as me and my friends go separate ways. It wasn't until the last two years of high school that I had a group of friends I could hang out with -- the same group of friends who went to Myrtle Beach and didn't take me along -- and we had gotten together a few times. We went to Cedar Point one time, we always went to the school dances, my one friend has invited me to parties at her house on occasion, and another friend had invited me for a holiday sleepover. But I just haven't been able to do anything with friends lately, because I was so busy with college and helping out on the farm.

And then there's me... sometimes I think it would be nice to go on trips with friends, sometimes I think I'm better off going on a trip by myself or just not bother going anywhere at all. I can be picky, indecisive, a very hard person to please and put up with on trips. There are things that I enjoy, things that I would like to see and do that others just don't want to do or find absolutely boring. So the chances that I could get a friend or two to come along with me on a site-seeing trip to, say, Michigan's Upper Peninsula... very slim. I went up to the Upper Peninsula (U.P.) with my brother last summer, and he did nothing but complain half the time. Be my luck, anybody who goes on a trip with me will feel the same way.

Trust me, if I ever find the time and money to go on a trip, I will do so... but I'm going on the trip alone, that way I get to see and do everything that I want without having to put up with others tagging along with me.

If my friends want to invite me to a party or go on a trip with them, that's their decision and if they do, I'll accept. But if they don't, then oh well. I've gotten used to not going on trips all the time, I'm used to being on my own and being left out. Just like I'm used to being picked on, teased, and tormented by people all of my life.

14. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    What does "moe-ing out" mean? I've never heard that term out side of a Three Stooges context.

Are you going to poke your friends in the eye, and then grab their tongues with a pair of pliers?

15. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Forget it.

16. McBradders

Listen, more people here know exactly what you're talking, about give or take a few of the more specifics. Lots might not want to admit it. Some do. Just know that if you behave like a wallflower you will always be a wallflower.

I like time on my own too, like, a lot. However there are some things that it's worth being forward about to the point where you almost invite yourself along. You'll make more friends this way who will, in turn, want you there more.

Sometimes being a wallflower is great, but sometimes you gotta just take that shit in hand and make it happen. Make suggestions, organise stuff, get people together... do it!

17. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I only do this to the friends that need to have it done to them. Maybe once in a while just for the hell of it.

18. red4

red4 Banned

It doesn't really happen to me. I'm usually the one who arranges these events, or I do the majority of the inviting. When my friends go clubbing or drinking, they usually don't invite me. In fact, sometimes they do invite me just to annoy me, because they know I'm opposed to those activities.

As for the dodgeball thing; that happened to me daily in elementary school. But I never did like PE, so I always hoped they would simply not pick me at all, and leave me the hell alone. But alas, I always got picked - if even last - and was forced to endure a pointless half hour of flying rubber balls smacking me in the shins.

Funny story: I'm the main reason my group of friends ever reached about 20 people, as well as the main impetus for breaking it up.

19. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    I took it mean a mo, short for homo, ie some kind of homophobic statement.

And he wonders why his friends don't wanna hang with him.

20. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

Srsly if you ever seen the "I like turtles" kid on youtube he looks just like that, and it's not makeup. This kid looks like his mom pushed him out into a ditch, buried him, then returned four years later to dig him back up.

He's a black belt apparently (I'm not bragging I swear on Charles Darwin) but none of his kung-foolery could match my size and weight. I dropped him harder than all the times his mom dropped him on his head (which would explain his flat face) combined.

I don't care if he has a minor mental disability (It sure as hell seems like it) he starts with me again I'll make sure my shoe slamming down on his face is the last thing he sees. I'm done with being bullied because I'm a geek. It's about damn time I stood up for myself.