EVE Online, anyone play?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by cbff, Sep 16, 2009.

1. cbff

cbff Destroyer of Botcon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Anyone play it? I have 3 friends desperately trying to recruit me for the damn thing, but I don't really feel like paying $15 a month to do it.

2. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    Eh, that's how I fell about most online games. Monthly fees = no go for me.

Actually, a friend of mine, a recovering WOW addict, recently started playing EVE and its all he talks about.

3. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    I played EvE for about 3 months. The entire time I kept wishing it was a single player game. At the time, the resources were all mined up by bots and it was difficult to make a non-PvP character work. Granted, PvP is the main focus, but it is forced on you if you want to get to the good stuff the game has.

4. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I thought you could play for free? :/

5. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    Only if you make enough in game money to buy time codes from other players in a system designed to legitimize the purchase of in game currency.

6. cbff

cbff Destroyer of Botcon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Yeah, from the way I understood it, you need to play quite a bit to earn ISK (virtual money) to buy a thing called a PLEX which gives you 30 days free.

Mind you, my friends keep saying that the game is the bees knees, yet they themselves don't play it enough to PLEX themselves. That's not saying that it's extremely hard, they just don't play it often.

Which confuses the hell out of me. If I were paying for a game every month, I'd try to get my money's worth out of it.

They've even gone a little personal in their crusade to recruit me saying that the money I just spent on a Transformer (Leader Jetfire) could have paid for 2 months of EVE. Personally, I'd rather have the figures than pay for server space on a game.

7. Master Megatron

Master Megatron Action Bastard

EVE is one of those games that absolutely intimidates me.

8. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

There's a 2 week free trial, i'd recommend you try that out before buying anything. A friend convinced me to play it, and I got bored of it before the first week was over. A lot of cool ideas, but the game just isn't much fun. I was doing plenty of stuff, and you do get a lot of rewards in the beginning, but I didn't really feel like I was getting anything accomplished.

9. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    [​IMG]

10. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Well, if you dont feel like paying $15/month for a game, then EVE is defentaly not the MMO for ya to try (it's very complex). I never played the game myself but I've done my homework and looked up the game. I was interested in getting the because it's a MMO... IN SPACE, but I found that you didnt really pilot your ship, but you where basically the captain of it giving it orders and thats what drove me away from it.