Evangelion

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by GogDog, Apr 18, 2007.

1. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Please, no spoilers...

I'm watching this for the first time after picking up the Platinum set.

I just watched the episode where unit 01 destroys unit 03. Holy shit, this anime is sick...

2. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Keep watching! You are in for one heck of an anime experience.

Some people say that said "experience" is sucky or uber great. Thats up to you.

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Ah, the episode that caused sponsors to limit the budget for the rest of the series.
    You'll notice that after this, corners start getting cut EVERYWHERE.

still great despite that, though.

4. Zzeezz

Zzeezz Ambassador of Music TFW2005 Supporter

Sick? Wait until you watch the last movie. Total mindf**k

5. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    My experience with Evangelion:

Episodes 1-6: Huh, is this it? Doesn't seem so groundbreaking to me.
    Episodes 8-15: Hey, this is pretty cool. Asuka rocks!
    Episodes 16-24: Now I see why this is so popular!
    Episodes 25-26: What the hell was that?
    End of Evangelion: I'll never look at that piece of music the same way again. And Asuka rocks.

I thought it was a decent series, I can see why people like it and dislike it. I definately enjoyed it, though I wouldn't call it my favourite mecha anime series. That would probably be either Big O, Gaogaigar or Code Geass.

6. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

7. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Evangelion was kind of outside my genre preferences (can't stand mecha, normally), but I thought it was an entertaining show and I'm looking forward to seeing how the new movies handle things.

Didn't like Episode 7?

Going from this, my experience with the show:
    Episodes 1 - 7 -> Not bad. Nothing really exciting, but not as bad as other 'mecha' shows I've seen.
    Episodes 8 - 19 -> Great stuff. Unique designs on the Angels, entertaining battles, character development, Asuka was interesting, Shinji wasn't that annoying yet and the philosophical/symbolic stuff was present but not intrusive. Went by really quickly.
    Episodes 20 - 24 -> Would have been better with more, y'know, animation. Philosophical/symbolic mumbo-jumbo getting intrusive, but the character development was worth it.
    Episodes 25 - 26 -> To paraphrase South Park, the show completely disappeared up it's own ass. Philosophical/symbolic nonsense overdone simply for the sake of having a lot of philosophical/symbolic nonsense. Worst. Ending. Ever.
    End of Evangelion -> Struck the proper balance between philosophical/symbolic stuff, story, character development and action. Slow for a few scenes, but probably one of the best endings I've seen for an anime.

8. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Hell damn yeah! :rock 

...What? I like Asuka.

Anywho, I love the series, and I love hearing and reading people trying to interpret the series (so long as they keep it civil), and honestly, I'm amazed at all the symbolisim they creators managed to jam in there (or that people seem to find). Not even a refelction in a puddle of water is just a reflection apparently.

As for the movies.....I can't stand them Ugh. Just Ugh. (Yet I'm still tempted to buy them. Wierd.)

But yeah, if you think it's sick now, just you wait.

9. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    *hum 'ode to joy'*

10. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I just finished it last night. I guess another watch-through would definitely benefit me. I did broswe through wikipedia, which made the ending make A LOT more sense. I am definitely interested in seeing End of Evangelion now. I know I missed tons of subtleties. I guess I just really wish that they weren't under budget for the last few episodes. if you go back and watch the earlier ones again, the difference is jaw dropping.

11. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

I didn't really get Eva. It was pretty cool but it just wasn't for me. I understand why the Eva's were tied down story wise but I think the action suffered due to that restriction.

I guess I just wanted more battles and felt that the internal conflicts most of the pilots had was just to much. If that was scaled back and a bit more time was spent developing the angels (giving them more character/history, I felt they just ended up only being there as a reason to deploy the Evas) and showing more how the Evas came to be I would have liked it a lot more. I'm also a bit lost because of the way the movies were produced and the director's cuts of the episodes adding some things in that weren't there originally.

12. Toonces

Toonces Domo

Ebay:
    The DC episodes added alot of stuff that Anno wanted in there but they couldn't afford at the time. As for more battles and such, the internal conflicts (especially between Shinji and his Father) are what made the series interesting to me. (I'm not much of a mecha anime fan (and one can't even really classify Eva as a "mecha" anime) at all as most of them just seem to have big mechs in them for no other real purpose other than just them being "cool". Eva was just kind of different, which is one of the reasons I loved it so much.

It's so hard not to spoil anything because there is just so much I want to write but there is one thing I kinda have to say

Just my own experence with the two endings,
    I kinda view episodes 25 + 26 and EoE as running concurrently, just the former being internalized. Viewing them this way makes alot of sense to me, but of course view them however you see fit.

13. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

On your first viewing, did you watch 1-24 and then EoE, or 1-26?

14. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    1 - 26, then D&R (which was a waste of time with the Director's cut episodes), then EoE.

Looking back at it with a bit of perspective, I like Toonces interpretation of the two endings; I think if I watched the series again, I'd probably watch EoE as the ending, stop it when the "Shinji introspection" starts, play 25/26, then start EoE again from where I left off after going through those.

15. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    I don't remember a lot of End of Eva, now that I think about it. I think I mighta blocked it all.

16. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Probably. I remember one of the times I almost bought it (it was on sale), I saw a trailer and was like "When the @#$% did that happen?!"

17. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    I just finished the series (original version, as that's what my roommate owns) and I'll be watching the movie soon. I whole-heartedly agree with Scantron on episodes 25-26. Not necessarily the "worst ending ever" part, but it did disappear up its own ass.

I dunno. Maybe I just took far too long to actually get around to watching Evangelion. Very strange that I did, considering I first learned about it when my dad got me an EVA-01 action figure and some trading cards when he went to Japan when I was like 10 (I'm 21. I can only imagine if I watched this show at that age).

But over the years I learned about bits and pieces of the plot and the discovered the show's reputation, and I think when I finally got to watching it, I was unable to view it with an open mind and had trouble enjoying it to the fullest. The beginning was generic mecha fare, the end was just mind-boggling, but the middle was somewhere in between.

For the record, I think I enjoyed the characters and their personal conflicts more than the plot.

I'll come back in a few days with my opinion on End of Evangelion.

18. Turbocharger

Turbocharger We should get more letter

I still have nightmares of the armorless head of the Unit 1 from that one episode.

Damn you Cartoon Network. Giving kids nightmares.

19. Toonces

Toonces Domo

Ebay:
    haha, It's ok Shinj...er, Turbocharger, the Eva is your friend. :D 

Just stay away from the dummy plug :) 

20. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Eva is still one of my favortie anime's even after all these years. It was literaly the second anime I ever watched and I can still go back to it all these years and really enjoy it.