Eva boxset worth it?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Sokar, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I saw the platinum edition of the Neon Genesis Evangelion series the other day for 100$, and I'm debating whether or not I should pick it up.

I know it's an major icon as far as anime goes, and I remember the fuss about it back when I was into anime, but to those who have seen it, is it really that good? I prefer the more complex series that actually make you think, or sometimes question your views about things, and I've heard eva is along those lines. Kind of messed up, but not in the same was as say Excel saga or something which is messed up for comedy reasons....

Also, I've seen the platinum edition for 100$, but the 'perfect collection' is 215$, yet appears only to be the regular dvd's, but with a collectors box, while the platinum edition set has all the regular episodes, plus 4 directors cuts. Anyone have any opinions on which would be better to purchase if I chose one?

Any advice is appreciated....

2. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Yes, very worth it. Sounds like it's the sort of thing you're looking for. And yes, you want the Platinum edition. :)  Not only does it have the director's cut episodes, but it's also remastered and has a superior translation.

One thing to keep in mind is that the ending to the TV series only deals with the psychological aspect of concluding the character development. You'll have to watch the movies to get the conclusion to the plot.

3. Big Nine

Big Nine <font color= pink><b>Pink Soul<br>'Weak Humanoid G Veteran

Indeed.

4. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Personally, I'd rent or borrow EVA before committing to making a big purchase like that. While it is all the things that you seem to ask for in an anime, it's also a bit of a mess. I was curious about it due to all those points as well, but after watching it, it soured me to the whole experience. Serious pacing and directorial issues, and none of the characters ever caught on with me, so the series never had a "hook" to keep me drawn to it.

As an Evangelion alternative, I'd recommend checking out RahXephon. It somewhat falls into the same mold as EVA, with a young 14 year-old boy being thrust into the position of defending the Earth from an attacking alien race, and in turn dealing with the angst and pains when he realizes things aren't as they seem. But it takes the plot in a completely different direction once it gets going, and it's certainly more consistantly directed, with a better layered plot.

5. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

I got my Perfect Eva set from someone on this board a couple years ago (forget who it was, sorry), it was used, but in good shape and I paid a lot less than $215 (I think it was about $50 USD). Don't know if you can get the same deal, but you should know that if you decide to go used for it, you're going to save a lot of dough.

Also, I don't know this about the Platinum set, but there are Director's Cut versions of the last two disks of the series, and also the two movies (although "Death&Rebirth" is mostly useless if you have the Director's Cut volumes) to consider getting.

6. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

The best buy here had it for like 60-70 bucks and it was the platinum set so maybe look there before spending all that

7. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

Seconded.

8. wljk

wljk Well-Known Member

I got mine at Best Buy for I think it was $75. I think that I spent about $120 total on the Platinum set and the 2 Movie box set.

All I know, it is alot better than trying to catch it on Cartoon Network late at night.

The first movie (End of Evangelion) is just a review of the whole seris plus the director cut versions of the last four episodes. The second movie (Death and Rebirth), gave a better ending to the series than the last four episodes.

I would definately suggest the Platinum box and getting the movies also.

9. flamepanther

You got it backwards. Death and Rebirth is the recap movie. End of Evangelion is the ending to the story (hence the title). :thumbs2: 

10. wljk

wljk Well-Known Member

Ooops figures, I looked at the wrong boxes when I was typing it, you are correct, my bad.

11. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Some very interesting feedback for sure.

Thanks to all who responded.

I actually went with the platinum box set, and picked up the EOE movies box set as well. It seemed like a pretty good deal after some more looking.

Also, regarding it being cheaper at best buy, I should have mentioned this before, but it was 99$ CDN, which works out to about the same or less than 60-70$ USD.

One other question I had though; while searching around for info, I came across a mention of Eva:Redeath. Anyone heard of this before? is this like some sort of fan edit or something?

12. flamepanther

Awesome! Let us know how you like it.
    It's a fan parody dub. I've never seen it myself.