European Space Jet Unveiled

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dark_Convoy, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

2. 333HE

333HE HERSHEY'S GONNA EAT JOO.

It's amazing how much the human race has progressed technologically.

3. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

I'd always wondered about that idea, taking off like a plane and then firing up rocket engines at a certain altitute. Does anyone here know of a show called "@ Discover.ca" (now known as "Daily Planet")? They used to have a viewer question segment and I actually submitted that question, "why can't spacecraft take off like a plane and then use rockets to go the rest of the way?". The guy on the show (some astronaught or rocket expert or something like that) said it was inefficient. When trying to go into space you want the most bang for your buck as far as fuel goes, so you want to make the trip as short as possible (hence why the shuttle launches straight up). I'm intrigued that someone's trying this. From a certain perspective it makes sense. Launching a rocket into space is incredibly loud so you have to have a remote location. But this can take off like a plane so it can operate from any airport. Cool.

Sadly our sense of morality and responsibility is still somewhere in the Dark Ages. I dunno, sometimes I think technology is advancing faster than our global sense of civilization.

4. 333HE

About the last part...sadly enough, that's true. I think the overall "sense of good" is diminishing. Or as I like to say, "Our country is a socially and morally deprived society." That can also be true for most of the world, though, as well.

5. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Makes you wonder about human nature, since the moral depravity isn't anything new. It's plagued human beings for thousands of years. It's interesting because Rome was a lot like this. I mean, look at sexual infedelity. Before Augustus adultery pretty much reduced the Romans to slobbering sex maniacs and it really disrupted the stability of Rome (there were a number of civil wars and such... not directly due to infedelity but it's that crumbling moral foundation that contributed to it). You also see it with Roman emperors. A lot of them ignored their responsibilities and dedicated the whole resources of the empire to their own base pleasures. Caligula, Comodus, and Nero to name a few. I actually see a lot of Rome (the good and the bad) in today.

I know, irrelevent to the space plane. Continue on...

6. 333HE

Nono, it's not unrelated at all. From what I remember from history classes, you can make that comparison. Because history repeats itself.

7. chocula78

chocula78 Satellite Systems Engr TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    It's a french design. And if we have learned anything from French aviation history, don't get on this thing unless you have a death wish.

8. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  9. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Ha ha, bash the French. Wasn't the French contingent of EADS responsible for designs like the Ariane rockets, which are by now the most reliable commercial rockets ever produced?

Which French flying coffins were you talking about?

10. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    2nded. It embarrasses me that we're, as a species, still stuck bickering over crap like land, who's got the better weapons, etc.

11. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

So we're not supposed to use live people as lanterns?

12. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Oh cool, now I want a transformer of it.