EuroGamers - Was this a good launch?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by misterd, Mar 24, 2007.

1. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Everyone who wanted one got one. That seems pretty successful to me.

Nobody got hurt, nobody was turned away empty handed.

3. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Yup, it was a succesfull launch. Much better handled then the US launch. I'm VERY impressed, Sony definately deserves some kudos (and this comes from someone who isn't quite fond of Sony's attitude/decisions).

4. misterd

By that definition, if there was one person in Europe who wanted a PS3, and he got one, and no one was hurt in the process, then that's a successful launch. OTOH, if they released 10 million PS3s, and 20 million wanted them, that would be unsuccessful.

I think we need a better definition.

5. McBradders

Well, set your definition then, this was your thread, after all. And as a European adopter at launch who got a console, didn't have to line up for days in the cold, fend off hooligans with guns once I had one, or suffer eBay scalpers... I'm still going with successful.

However, if you were to ask if it was a media frenzy of hopeful fanboys clamouring over too few units on launch day thus making demand seem like it was a console or the end of the world? Well, in that regard it was a disaster.

6. peeman

peeman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    it hasn't sold out on launch day put it that way, i really thought it would do but it didn't which is worrying most shops i have been to still have about 30% of their original stock in after 2 days, i think everyone who wanted one preordered , everyone else is just waiting for the price to drop

7. eatwood

eatwood Well-Known Member

It may seem ggreat on the first few days, but I believe people will start returning the PS3, because they can't find a great game for it.

8. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It appears to have been very successful. Many stores have sold through their intitial alotment (I've read anywhere between 20-100) and the others have only a small percentage left. I'd say these results after only 2 days of availabilty is a success. Just because it didn't sell out (due to stores getting less than 10 units as in many US stores) doesn't immediately discount it's success.

9. McBradders

Over 200,000 in the UK on day one, I think even Sony would be kidding themselves to sell through that many.

10. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

I think people will believe what they want to when it comes to console wars.

11. Rokkit 2.0

Rokkit 2.0 Nay, we are but men.

The press (and I'm not talking gaming press) is giving it some bad word of mouth it seems. I think sales numbers aside (and who knows where that is), it is at least good that it was uneventful, and people that wanted one were able to get it. I think that's a good thing.

12. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  13. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  14. McBradders

15. misterd

Yep, pretty much. Puts the sales in overall perspective. Not only do they get one to all the people who want one, but they also sell more in less time than any other system. Of course this is just the UK, so we don't know about the rest of Europe of Australia, but it's a start.

Now it'll be up to Sony to keep those sales going longer than a month or two.

16. McBradders

I honestly think sales will pick up again this weekend (end of the month is payday) then drop off the radar for a good while until the holidays or another "must have" game hits.

It's just too damn expensive.

17. peeman

peeman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i agree with twin twist on that, sales are dropping off already, i think we will have the end of the month spurt and then i think they will shelf warm for a while

18. gil

gil Godmaster

I have to agree and say it was a good launch.

They sold 165,000 of the 220,000 they had in stock. So they had left overs, they still sold as much as they could. Thats better then Nintendo or MS to have 150,000 units for sell and selling them all (I don't know how much they sold, so I'm taking a number out of my ass). It means Nintendo or MS could/would/should have done better, but didn't have the units to do better. Could they have sold 165,000 on launch day? Could they have sold 200,000? What about 300,000? The world will never know. In Sony's case, 165,000 is the best they could do and they had enough units to show the best they could do.