Eugenesis novel now available for download

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Fiction' started by Denyer, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

Short version: this is about unofficial publishing, but something that was a first in fandom history so you may or may not consider this newsworthy. Previous threads can be found here, here, here and here (the Allspark seems to have lost posts since the last time it came up.)

Longer version: the TransMasters fanclubs in the US and UK were the first to get written permission for non-profit activities, amongst which were helping to stir the imagination of a young Nick Roche, a number of conventions that featured contributions by Simon Furman, and a thick self-published novel by James Roberts. At the time the book got reviewed by The Harvard Crimson and copies still change hands at conventions and on eBay. Those of us aware of it wondered when a reprint or online edition might turn up, and earlier this year a website was said to be coming soon.

James is still busy and we've offered to host. So here you go... accompanying is a summary of continuity from the UK comics and relevant TMUK fiction, the script and comic for tie-in Liars A to D (itself a bit of UK convention history), and Telefunken, a dark original-era-to-BW short story that was originally printed in the back of Eugenesis.

http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/eugenesis/

Everything can be grabbed as one ZIP file: eugenesis.zip

If anything's screwed up, it's probably my fault and please do mention. For the most part it goes without saying that I'd recommend the story to anyone, but fans of the Marvel comics are particularly likely to enjoy -- think Furman with less cheese and no obligation to keep the words short for kids. Amongst other things it includes possibly the best character moment for Optimus Prime I've read. And lastly, for those who don't mind spoilers, you can find an author retrospective from 2002 here.

(TMUK are still active... they're having site problems again at the moment, but you could drop by their temporary forum if you want to get in touch with Mr Roberts and give feedback.)

2. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've got a real copy but will download for the sake of backup! Fantastic read, even if you have no nothing about the Marvel universe. Although from memory the first few chapters are a bit of an effort, but it's worth it.

3. Otispq

Otispq Elocution Onymous

News Credits:
    Cool, thanks!

4. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    Excellent, I've been waiting for a chance to read this!

5. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'd grabbed one of the flyers available at BotCon '05, and had been hoping to hear something about it. Much fun as it would be to read it in paperback, at least it's available now.

Thanks for the heads up. It'll be my Thanksgiving read.

6. 6th Dinobot

6th Dinobot Well-Known Member

Such a great read. My only complaint is that Grimlock shows up in two different places. One with Ultra Magnus on Earth (pg. 62) and then once more on Cybertron where he questions Prowl (pg 152). The flow of the story makes this impossible. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

7. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

Yes! I've heard nothing but praise for this novel and finally after all these years of waiting it is availible for the entire TF fandom to read. I'll try to read it as soon as my exams are over. Thanks for the news!

8. James R

James R New Member

I had to register just to say you're right, and thanks for spotting the error.

For 'Grimlock', read 'Kup'. That should make more sense. I shall correct the text and ask Stuart D to put the pdf back up at some point.

Thanks to everyone who's commented on the book. I'm glad that it's gone down well.

9. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Well-Known Member

My own motto as a writer is "The last edit you do is one edit too few." :) 

BTW: I like!

10. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

zombie revival time

I've began reading this recently, thanks for the zip file Stu,

I'm really enjoying it, I'm only about a third of the way in and I doff my cap to the carnage that Mr Roberts has given us.

It does help to know the UK Marvel and TMUK continuities, but far from essential.

I've converted this to a .epub file so that I can read it on my phone and it works a dream. Should anyone want a copy just PM me, so long as the author doesn't mind.

cheers

-der2

11. Plainsjumper

Plainsjumper Well-Known Member

I'm not saying I don't like your work Mr. R I do and have paid digital downloads and a hardcopy of LSOtW too. But daaaamn that grim stuff gets me down. I get that's it's capital W-A-R though.

(Wow didn't see how old this thread was, sorry for the Necromancy.)